Klay Thompson Confident He Could Adjust To Reserve Role If Needed

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Klay Thompson Confident He Could Adjust To Reserve Role If Needed 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:13 am

The acquisition of Andre Iguodala could send Klay Thompson to the Golden State Warriors' bench, but the young shooting guard is confident he would be able to make that transition if needed, having been a reserve most of his rookie season.

"It took me a few games to get used to it because I'd started my whole life," Thompson said. "Once I got used to it and once I found my rhythm, it was nothing to me. You can still be a great player off the bench.

"I'm not too worried about (starting). I'm just worried about getting better and getting in the best shape I can."

Concerned about the team first, Thompson has fully endorsed the signing of Iguodala.

"I was happy I don't have to go against him any more," Thompson said. "He's going to be great for us. He's a good scorer but he's an even better playmaker. He's a great leader. I can see it in these two weeks I've been here. He's going to help us. He's going to be like a swiss army knife. ... That's a huge signing for us."

Via Marcus Thompson II/San Jose Mercury News

captlopez0012
Junior
And1: 8

Re: Klay Thompson Confident He Could Adjust To Reserve Role  

Post#2 » by captlopez0012 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:30 am

the bench is where he belongs. he is nowhere near as good as he was made out to be last year.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#3 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:57 am

Great attitude Klay. At the end of the day no matter if it's Klay starting or Barnes starting, they both going to play 28 or more minutes and be very crucial to the team success even though I believe Barnes has more upside and should start next to Curry, Iguodala, Lee, and Bogut.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:Great attitude Klay. At the end of the day no matter if it's Klay starting or Barnes starting, they both going to play 28 or more minutes and be very crucial to the team success even though I believe Barnes has more upside and should start next to Curry, Iguodala, Lee, and Bogut.

That's the truth. He already was very productive last season given 35 minutes per game. Having a reduced role shouldn't deter his numbers too significantly. If he can improve his defense, he'll deserve a starting role on any team.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#5 » by burritoKURUMA » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:59 pm

captlopez0012 wrote:the bench is where he belongs. he is nowhere near as good as he was made out to be last year.

I agree. I still think he's a great player, but with Iggy in the mix, I think Klay can kind of take over Jarrett Jack's role. He's a great shooter, so I can see him coming off the bench and lighting the court on fire, like J.R. Smith is supposed to do.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#6 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm

captlopez0012 wrote:the bench is where he belongs. he is nowhere near as good as he was made out to be last year.

He was only in his 2nd year last season which was also just his 1st year as a starter, so there's still potential in the kid to be even better. Still very young, too.
#DubNation

Return to Wiretap Discussion