Kings To Broadcast 11 Games Without TV Commercials

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kings To Broadcast 11 Games Without TV Commercials 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 pm

The Sacramento Kings will broadcast 11 games commercial-free next season -- including the home and season openers.

Also broadcasted without commercials will be the following games: Dec. 1 against the Golden State Warriors, Dec. 27 against the Miami Heat, Jan. 17 at the Memphis Grizzlies, Jan. 24 against the Indiana Pacers, Jan. 26 against the Denver Nuggets, Feb. 1 at the San Antonio Spurs, Feb. 28 at LAL, March 15 at the Chicago Bulls, March 28 at the Oklahoma City Thunder, March 29 at the Dallas Mavericks.

The Kings hope that it enhances a fan's experience.

Via Sean Cunningham/ABC News 10

The Architekt
Junior
And1: 42

Re: Kings To Broadcast 11 Games Without TV Commercials 

Post#2 » by The Architekt » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Let's hope it's not a Sleeptrain of an experience
MiamiHavok
Junior
And1: 26

Post#3 » by MiamiHavok » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 pm

This sounds awesome, more teams should do this.
ratmrocks89
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#4 » by ratmrocks89 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:40 pm

props to them for thinking outside the box and at least trying to make the best of a bad situation. great idea.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 pm

MiamiHavok wrote:This sounds awesome, more teams should do this.

QFE

but yea. $$$ tends to run most decisions.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#6 » by smeagolheart » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:06 pm

sounds good in theory however, the timeouts and play stoppages will take just as long. In that down time instead of watching beer commercials you can watch two men talking about basketball or will they let you watch the stuff like the guys doing flips off trampolines?
hawksfanatic
Senior
And1: 0

Post#7 » by hawksfanatic » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Read the tweets and the story, only the season opener is commercial. The 10 other games that News10 broadcasts will have commercials.

The title of and description of this mini-article are all wrong.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,364

Post#8 » by Scalabrine » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:11 pm

hopefully, with the addition of ads on jerseys starting in two seasons this will become more common. Its a big reason why Soccer and Hockey arent as popular in America as they are other places, and why Baseball and Football are pushed on us so heavily. Its almost comical to go to a football game and watch players stand around while they wait for the commercials to end. The game could be so much faster.

If ads get introduced and there continues to be a rising amount of commercial breaks, then something will be seriously wrong. That being said, I expect that there will be no changes and the owners and commish will just collect more money.
Go Knicks!
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#9 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Nothing wrong with watching the time-out on court, cheerleaders, listening to commentators, enjoying the half-time show, etc. Too many advertisements during an NBA game to begin with, they already make insane amounts of money I'm sure winding down the commercials won't hurt TOO TOOO much.

smeagolheart wrote:sounds good in theory however, the timeouts and play stoppages will take just as long. In that down time instead of watching beer commercials you can watch two men talking about basketball or will they let you watch the stuff like the guys doing flips off trampolines?
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#10 » by Shem » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 am

The query now becomes what do they do during breaks when there is no commercials. The Kings fans sake, I hope they have something entertaining or this won't be worth it in terms of the money they're going to lose not using commercials.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Mr_President
Senior
And1: 285

Post#11 » by Mr_President » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Scalabrine wrote:hopefully, with the addition of ads on jerseys starting in two seasons this will become more common. Its a big reason why Soccer and Hockey arent as popular in America as they are other places, and why Baseball and Football are pushed on us so heavily. Its almost comical to go to a football game and watch players stand around while they wait for the commercials to end. The game could be so much faster.

If ads get introduced and there continues to be a rising amount of commercial breaks, then something will be seriously wrong. That being said, I expect that there will be no changes and the owners and commish will just collect more money.

This is the best pro - no commercials argument (from a business standpoint). Ads on jerseys may make up the profit disparities to allow less/no commercials.

Still will take some getting used to seeing "AT&T" on a Knicks Jersey

Return to Wiretap Discussion