Bird: Pacers Still Working On Paul George Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bird: Pacers Still Working On Paul George Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Larry Bird hinted a contract extension is close between the Indiana Pacers and Paul George, but he says no deal has been finalized.

“That’s why I’m not playing golf today,” Bird said Monday. “I’m going back to the office to work on it.”

Bird said he had not seen the Yahoo! report and declined to comment on it. When asked if the length (five years) and financial figures ($90-plus million) were correct, Bird replied: “Never heard that. If I did, I wish it was my number.”

“The number has to be a number we both like,” Bird said. “That's what it's all about. It's all about money. He wants to be here. He's told me that a million times. We want him here. Let's just find a number that works for both.”

Via Michael Pointer/Indianapolis Star

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Bird: Pacers Still Working On Paul George Extension 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 pm

The figure being reported is incorrect. PG is actually signing a 5 year 80 million extension with the rose rule incentive clause included in the contract. Many media outlets are reporting that George has signed for a guaranteed 90 million + which is false. In order for George to get the full 90 million he needs to make the all nba team again. And many people seem to think that is going to be an easy task which it won't be. With Danny Granger returning, it hasn't been confirmed by Coach Vogel or the Pacers what position George will play next year - will he be a guard (Sg) or forward (sf) in the starting line-up. Granger has already stated that he plans to start next season and he is also playing in a contract year. Granger is physically bigger than George so it is safe to say he will likely start at the small forward spot beside the hibbert-west frontcourt. So George will be playing the two guard spot like he did in his first 2 seasons in the league when he was not playing at a superstar level. Also factor in the healthy return of derrick rose and a rejuvenated deron williams playing for his idol Jason Kidd. Also expect Kobe and Dwade to be healthy and close to their typical selves by midseason. Than look at the other guards who made the all-nba team last season - Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, James Harden and Rajon Rondo. Than factor in the other young guards in the league who may have a breakout season and make the team like John Wall and Kyrie Irving. If you just include George and the names I mentioned that's 12 elite guards competing for 6 all-nba spots. Is PG in the top 6 among all of them when everyone is healthy? The fact his contract isn't finalized also likely has to do with what concession George's camp is giving the pacers to get the rose rule clause in his contract. I assume the concession Bird and the Pacers are seeking is a 5 year deal with no opt out so if you include this season, they will have PG locked up to be one of their franchise guys for the next 6 years.

Return to Wiretap Discussion