Raptors To Redesign Brand, Color While Keeping Name

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Raptors To Redesign Brand, Color While Keeping Name 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:38 pm

The Toronto Raptors will have a brand and color redesign, but the franchise name will remain the same.

There had been some speculation that the Raptors would be renamed.

Via Doug Smith/Toronto Star

IMHO
Junior
And1: 24

Re: Raptors To Redesign Brand, Color While Keeping Name 

Post#2 » by IMHO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm

they should be renamed, I mean they were named largely due to popularity of a movie, talking about knee jerk reaction...
toothlessrancidbear
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#3 » by toothlessrancidbear » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Thank god, I was worried they would ditch the name! Are you insinuating that dinosaurs are somehow not awesome? What better creature to strike fear in the hearts of opponents? The faithful and obedient Husky? Now if only the team could live up to the standard of such a fearsome predator.
CrymeTime
Bench Warmer
And1: 265

Post#4 » by CrymeTime » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm

they might move away from the dino, and go with a bird of prey. Falcon/Eagle/Vulture.

maybe a hybrid, keep the face of the dino, maybe have a bird body.
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#5 » by smeagolheart » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Raptors are a dumb name.

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

Notice there are no extinct animal names in that list. Especially no extinct dinosaur names that have nothing to do with a particular city.
druHA
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#6 » by druHA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:32 pm

What is a Laker, and what does it have to do with LA? What is a Knick? Nets, really... why not the Rims or Backboards..? These are far worse names than Raptors. No one cares what the team name is if they are a contender every season.

smeagolheart wrote:Raptors are a dumb name.

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

Notice there are no extinct animal names in that list. Especially no extinct dinosaur names that have nothing to do with a particular city.
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#7 » by BirdmanPresents » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Raptors is original I am glad they are keeping the name. I hope they do a new spin on the logo though, and go back to purple and black.
BIG match
Banned User
And1: 144

Post#8 » by BIG match » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 pm

IMHO wrote:they should be renamed, I mean they were named largely due to popularity of a movie, talking about knee jerk reaction...

and they ended up with one of the best team names in the sport. How can you not like the Raptors when most all team names are so unoriginal and used by almost every level of pro sports. There was never anything wrong with the team name, it was the team. To see that that is the first thing they tried to address make me wonder if they have their priorities in line
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#9 » by TONYROMOHOF » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm

raptors is a good name

if all the name sakes of the teams really fought, the raptors would be the strongest easily over things like wolves, and thunder is just a sound same as jazz

the most powerful would be the suns, but other then that raptors would be
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#10 » by pkiskool » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

Intellectual level of this poster: 5-8 years old.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#11 » by imDatknicksTape » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Let Drake do the Redsigning for the Raps.

Just like what Jay-z did for Brooklyn.

Everyone was on Jay-z's Jock for that "over-hyped" Microsoft word font printing.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#12 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

They underwent a brand and color redesigning several years ago, nixing the dinosaur logo for the claw, and dropping the black/purple/silver scheme for red/white/black. As a Torontonian, and long-time (sometimes it feels solely by default) Raptor fan, this idea strikes me as ridiculous and risks unbranding more than anything - there's nothing worse in advertising than having an unidentifiable product, but I guess Lieweke and the rest want to bring their "genius" to Canada. Talent trumps marketing in sports - the storied franchises that sell out their seats and merch in spite of losing seasons only do so because they had enough talent once upon a time that they've built a brand.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#13 » by TONYROMOHOF » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:Let Drake do the Redsigning for the Raps.

Just like what Jay-z did for Brooklyn.

Everyone was on Jay-z's Jock for that "over-hyped" Microsoft word font printing.

if they did that id quit the team drake is such garbage
smeagolheart
Sophomore

Post#14 » by smeagolheart » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:45 pm

druHA wrote:What is a Laker, and what does it have to do with LA? What is a Knick? Nets, really... why not the Rims or Backboards..? These are far worse names than Raptors. No one cares what the team name is if they are a contender every season.

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

The Raptors are not contenders every year. Yes Laker has nothing to do with LA, they used to be the Minneapolis Lakers back in the day.

The point is Raptors is a dumb name, why name your team over an extinct animal?
smeagolheart
Sophomore

Post#15 » by smeagolheart » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Raptors are a dumb name.

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

Notice there are no extinct animal names in that list. Especially no extinct dinosaur names that have nothing to do with the city
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#16 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm

smeagolheart wrote:Especially no extinct dinosaur names that have nothing to do with a particular city.

why name your team over an extinct animal?

For the record, raptor means bird of prey; they could easily adopt an animal image for the logo that isn't an extinct animal. Knickerbockers are extinct, too, and soon lakes will be as well (thanks OPEC!). And, really, "Heat" is a good name?

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#17 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 pm

I dont think Raps is a bad name, there is brand equity already given the history and it could be worse. However, I think re-branding again while keeping the names brings some confusion. If Minnesota wasn't the Timberwolves, Toronto should be the Huskies. However, there is too much overlap so I understand the merits of sticking with the Raps but changing the color scheme just seems like much ado about nothing at this time.

Let the team build an IDENTITY first THEN RE-BRAND.
SteveNizzy
Junior
And1: 8

Post#18 » by SteveNizzy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

Notice there are no extinct animal names in that list. Especially no extinct dinosaur names that have nothing to do with the city

wth are u talking about those are by far the worse names in the league they are all worse than pelicans, i think your daddys been messing with your ear at night
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#19 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Lakers,
Nets,
Suns,
Knicks,
Heat,
etc are all solid names.

So you consider a team name that represents pants is better than a team named after a dinosaur. It's no better imo.

The only reason people diss the name Raptors, is because the team sucks. If they were good barely anyone would be complaining. Look at the Maple Leafs, they're named after a leaf. The Red Sox and White Sox are named after SOCKS. All of those names are weird at first, be people grow accustomed to it. Same thing with product/company names like the iPad, Wii, Yahoo!, etc.
#DubNation
Myam333
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,909

Post#20 » by Myam333 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm

toothlessrancidbear wrote:Thank god, I was worried they would ditch the name! Are you insinuating that dinosaurs are somehow not awesome? What better creature to strike fear in the hearts of opponents? The faithful and obedient Husky? Now if only the team could live up to the standard of such a fearsome predator.

For what it's worth, I'd be fearful of how much a husky would shed in my house.

Return to Wiretap Discussion