Dwight Never Wavered On Decision To Sign With Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dwight Never Wavered On Decision To Sign With Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 1, 2013 3:28 am

Dwight Howard never wavered from his decision to sign with the Houston Rockets and was in the air returning to Los Angeles when reports came out that he was reconsidering.

"That was not the case," Howard said. "I was very upset about it when all that stuff started to come out because that's not what was going on. I decided … the night before it came out, and my thinking was, 'Let me get back to L.A. and sit in front of (Lakers general manager) Mitch (Kupchak) and give the Lakers that respect.' I wanted to tell them in person.

"There was no (thought of), 'Oh man, hold up, let me think about this again.' The night before, when I had decided, I sat down with everybody – my agent, my best friend who was there, and my bodyguard, and we talked. I said this is where I want to go. I told my Dad that this is where I want to go. I said tomorrow, when I get home, we're going to talk to the Lakers. I'm going to tell the other teams on the phone, and that's what I did."

Howard had planned on informing Mitch Kupchak that he wouldn't re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers and then announce his decision on Twitter.

"I just didn't like the way that it happened," Howard said. "I wanted to wait as long as possible until I talked to the Lakers. I didn't want Mitch to turn on his TV or get an e-mail from somebody saying this is what Dwight did and I didn't contact him first. I wanted to give him the respect, and the Lakers the respect, in telling them before it got put out there.

"I felt like for them it wouldn't have been personal enough. They were the team that decided to take me from Orlando, so I wanted to give them that respect – especially Mitch, because that was somebody who I had conversations with all summer. I wanted to let him know personally, and to thank him for the opportunity to play for the Lakers."

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Re: Dwight Never Wavered On Decision To Sign With Rockets 

Post#2 » by malgus » Tue Oct 1, 2013 3:47 am

Trying to make Dwight look loyal to whatever team he picked. revisionist much? He only got traded to and played in LA but his heart was in Houston the whole time, eh?
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#3 » by BallerTalk » Tue Oct 1, 2013 12:55 pm

This is not news to anyone in the know.
Everyone knows that the last minute "He's Still Undecided" and "It's 50/50 LA or Houston" newslines were made up ESPN nonsense to appease the Laker loyalists and keep viewers tuned in.
When word got out that after calling GS, Dallas, and Atlanta he was on a plane to LA, some misconstrued it as LA still had a chance when most of us knew it was just a matter of him wanting to tell the Lakers face to face before announcing Houston was his choice.

It's obvious he was trying to do the right thing PR wise after the fiasco he left in Orlando, but sadly he underestimated the media's propensity to twist stories for hits and headlines.

Either way, it's over and done now. Time to move on.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#4 » by RoyalMajesty » Tue Oct 1, 2013 3:07 pm

Please no more of this Dwight's stuff. What done is done already. Let's move on and stop having articles over and over again about his decision-making. We all know that he's not good at that. This probably top the whole Brett Favre's retirement IMO.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#5 » by King4Day » Tue Oct 1, 2013 4:25 pm

malgus wrote:Trying to make Dwight look loyal to whatever team he picked. revisionist much? He only got traded to and played in LA but his heart was in Houston the whole time, eh?

Hi 'Harden' was in Houston. He wouldn't have gone there otherwise I'm sure.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#6 » by inquisitive » Tue Oct 1, 2013 4:46 pm

those LA ESPN writers were twisting stories just to keep LA fans on the leash for those two days...all about readership..
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#7 » by Donnyxc » Tue Oct 1, 2013 5:47 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:Please no more of this Dwight's stuff. What done is done already. Let's move on and stop having articles over and over again about his decision-making. We all know that he's not good at that.

Yeah, but this is exactly the point of this article...
He actually made his decision ahead of time, and was very good at the decision making process. Taking the appropriate amount of times to weight options.

I think you're just not over that he's out of LA.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
jakeny88
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by jakeny88 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 7:07 pm

Everybody needs to move on from this Dwight stuff. He was TRADED to the Lakers, played for one year after a back surgery, and still put up solid numbers.

He was finally an unrestricted free agent, heard all of the offers on the table, and made the best decision for him, his family and his future and that was it. Dwight "wavering" his decision when he was on the plane on the way back from Aspen was just a made up story by ESPN for ratings because if you tuned into NBA TV at the same time, they never reported anything like that.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#9 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Oct 1, 2013 7:51 pm

jakeny88 wrote:Everybody needs to move on from this Dwight stuff. He was TRADED to the Lakers, played for one year after a back surgery, and still put up solid numbers.

He was finally an unrestricted free agent, heard all of the offers on the table, and made the best decision for him, his family and his future and that was it. Dwight "wavering" his decision when he was on the plane on the way back from Aspen was just a made up story by ESPN for ratings because if you tuned into NBA TV at the same time, they never reported anything like that.

Seriously everyone needs to shut up about Dwight leaving L.A. It's understandable to be frustrated/upset but it's over -- time to move on.
HeatNation88
Veteran
And1: 2,109

Post#10 » by HeatNation88 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 11:11 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
malgus wrote:Trying to make Dwight look loyal to whatever team he picked. revisionist much? He only got traded to and played in LA but his heart was in Houston the whole time, eh?

Dwight wanted to go to Houston since the start when he was with Orlando it was never because Houston had Harden he just had the desire to play there.

Pay Back is a B*tch

"Shine from the Darkness"

Formally known as "MiamiHeatFan6"
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Oct 2, 2013 1:38 am

inquisitive wrote:those LA ESPN writers were twisting stories just to keep LA fans on the leash for those two days...all about readership..
Nobody here was believing that crap they were spewing. But I get it though, but trust me if you heard our sports talk shows that day you'd know it wasn't fooling us.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#12 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 2, 2013 4:04 am

MiamiHeatFan6 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

Dwight wanted to go to Houston since the start when he was with Orlando it was never because Houston had Harden he just had the desire to play there.

My understanding was, he said he won't resign with the Rockets if they traded for him. I seriously doubt he'd give up 30 mil to play with a starless team. He could have just stayed with Orlando if that was the case.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#13 » by arasu » Wed Oct 2, 2013 7:26 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
inquisitive wrote:those LA ESPN writers were twisting stories just to keep LA fans on the leash for those two days...all about readership..
Nobody here was believing that crap they were spewing. But I get it though, but trust me if you heard our sports talk shows that day you'd know it wasn't fooling us.

No true NBA fan in LA was fooled. The moment Kobe got hurt, a lot of Laker fans were convinced he'd leave. Some continued to hold on to the possibility he'd stay for the extra guaranteed money, but fewer and fewer believed this as his official decision approached. Many believed he'd made up his mind not long after D'Antoni was hired.

While Howard was a 'Dwightmare' for Orlando and LA over the past two seasons, I think he has received way too much negativity. He handled the final decision to sign with the Rockets very professionally.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#14 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu Oct 3, 2013 3:59 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:Please no more of this Dwight's stuff. What done is done already. Let's move on and stop having articles over and over again about his decision-making. We all know that he's not good at that.

Yeah, but this is exactly the point of this article...
He actually made his decision ahead of time, and was very good at the decision making process. Taking the appropriate amount of times to weight options.

I think you're just not over that he's out of LA.

I could care less about that cuz I'm a Warriors fan. I'm fed up with the whole Dwight drama starting from Orlando to now. Everytime I checked the net or watch a little TV, Dwight pops up about such and such. Shut up and just play the game Dwight.

Return to Wiretap Discussion