76ers Enter Season With 'Six NBA Players'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Enter Season With 'Six NBA Players' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers will start Michael Carter-Williams, Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young and Spencer Hawes, with Lavoy Allen coming off the bench.

But Brett Brown sees a lot of questions marks on his roster after that initial group of six.

"You have six NBA players and then you have a bunch of guys who are fighting for spots and want to be seen and need opportunity," said Brown.

The 76ers have injuries to Nerlens Noel, Kwame Brown and Arnett Moultrie, who all have guaranteed contracts.

Brown said high character will be the determining factor in deciding between two players who are close in talent.

"It's not even close," Brown said. "It has to be [that way]. Imagine going through the learning curve and the learning pains and, at times, some losses are going to be mounting up and mounting up and mounting up."

Via Keith Pompey/Philadelphia Inquirer

theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Re: 76ers Enter Season With 'Six NBA Players' 

Post#2 » by theFRANCHISE » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:53 pm

I only counted 4 starters! Are they sure they want iverson to retire?
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,191

Post#3 » by Tofubeque » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Gives all new meaning to the name Sixers I guess
props Turbozone
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#4 » by dballislife » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:13 pm

i think the tank is too strong for this one, league should do something lol...whats the point of even playing when ur a 10-15 win team and even that sounds like a reach
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
jroane
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by jroane » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I love the NBA and I'm a lifelong Sixers fan (I'm now 55). This is just ridiculous. How has a once proud franchise come to this? This is what makes the NBA suck. You've got teams that aren't even trying to field an NBA team. What a joke. All for the prospect of drafting a 19 year old with one year of college ball under his belt who may, or may not be a star in 3 years.
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#6 » by MKG35 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:33 pm

jroane wrote:I love the NBA and I'm a lifelong Sixers fan (I'm now 55). This is just ridiculous. How has a once proud franchise come to this? This is what makes the NBA suck. You've got teams that aren't even trying to field an NBA team. What a joke. All for the prospect of drafting a 19 year old with one year of college ball under his belt who may, or may not be a star in 3 years.

Agreed. They do have some bad luck regarding injuries but overall, this is just ridiculous. Every team should try to put a proper team together. It's getting boring with these teams tanking for a top pick.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#7 » by dznutzz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:44 pm

the tank is strong in this one.

just sign iverson to a 1 yr contract already
BlackFalconGSW
Banned User
And1: 346

Post#8 » by BlackFalconGSW » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Top 4 pick gtd....lol...

They will be so bad this year... I'm thinking 10-15 wins.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#9 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:34 pm

jroane wrote:I love the NBA and I'm a lifelong Sixers fan (I'm now 55). This is just ridiculous. How has a once proud franchise come to this? This is what makes the NBA suck. You've got teams that aren't even trying to field an NBA team. What a joke. All for the prospect of drafting a 19 year old with one year of college ball under his belt who may, or may not be a star in 3 years.

Well, since your mid forties the Sixers have been a doormat for actual Championship contenders, that's if they made the playoffs at all. Hopefully in a few seasons you're looking at a roster that can be competitive with a centerpiece that was acquired during this upcoming draft. It may not be right how this **** works, however this is how this **** does work.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#10 » by agiaco » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:

Well, since your mid forties the Sixers have been a doormat for actual Championship contenders, that's if they made the playoffs at all. Hopefully in a few seasons you're looking at a roster that can be competitive with a centerpiece that was acquired during this upcoming draft, it may not be right how this **** works, however this is how it does work.

Agreed. All of you griping about them not fielding an NBA team.....well what do you expect? Assume a bunch of top-flight free agents are willing to sign right now and make some great trades? They have like 2 or 3 tradable assets that would even net them something decent. The best NBA teams generally build from the draft. If anything, this is the best move for a team that can't compete at the highest level. You can't expect every squad to compete for the championship....some of you lifelong fans are not looking in the broader scope.
BlackFalconGSW
Banned User
And1: 346

Post#11 » by BlackFalconGSW » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Vander Blue making it???!
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#12 » by lolwut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:08 pm

How sad is it that Iverson would likely be the best player on this team if he came out of retirement to play one season?
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#13 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 pm

BlackFalconGSW wrote:Vander Blue making it???!

I believe that he does, of the player's he's in contention with to make the team he's been the most impressive. Also, he has a coo name.

#TeamWHOP
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:22 pm

You're looking at this all wrong. As a Raptor fan I'm completely jealous of the Sixers and the smart direction they're currently taking. You need to become bad in the NBA before you can become good and remaining in no man's land where the Sixers (and the Raptors) have been for several seasons now is the absolute worst place to be.

The Holiday trade was brilliant and might net the Sixers two lottery picks plus making their own lottery pick (that now looks better without Holiday playing) so it looks like you're going to have 2 high picks in the best draft the NBA has seen in many years. That's very smart planning.

They're forcing the fans to suffer through 1 or 2 lean years for what stands to be a very exciting young based of players that they are going to be able to put together in no time. You should be enjoying the brilliance of your current management after the suffering through the foolishness of the previous regime trading for a players that didn't play a single game for your team. Not to mention the foolishiness of many of the other teams in the east (
Toronto, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Charlotte) who appear to be chasing the 8th seed instead of taking the same direction.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,540

Post#15 » by HornetJail » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Calling Lavoy Allen an NBA-caliber player might even be a little generous.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#16 » by 6_Rings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Tanking in style.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#17 » by caronimo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 pm

coach not calling royce white a nba player? he might start tweeting about it right now
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,225

Post#18 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm relieved the Suns finally went in this direction.
When we were involved in Rudy Gay rumors last season I felt sick.

The biggest concern for Philly this season is breaking records for the longest losing streak in a season and most losses in a season. They will have a serious (and likely) chance at one if not both of them.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#19 » by Fellow72 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Why would any team blatantly tank to this level? Doesn't everyone know that the worst team almost never wins the number 1 pick nowadays lol? Aiming to be the absolute worst is completely stupid, even if they are trying to tank.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,436

Post#20 » by Morse Code » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 pm

A life long fan should realize before others what needs to be done here. Are ET, holiday and Thad going to win you a chip? Would you rather suffer years on end of mediocrity or suck ass for 1-3 years to build a true contender? Screw the treadmill Im jealous of your teams direction

Return to Wiretap Discussion