Wizards To Acquire Marcin Gortat From Suns For Okafor

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wizards To Acquire Marcin Gortat From Suns For Okafor 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:23 pm

The Washington Wizards will acquire Marcin Gortat in a deal with the Phoenix Suns for Emeka Okafor.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

airaaron32
Senior
And1: 773

Re: Wizards To Acquire Marcin Gortat From Suns For Okafor 

Post#2 » by airaaron32 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Wizards win this deal easy.
StaticRoar
Pro Prospect
And1: 884

Post#3 » by StaticRoar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:29 pm

What incentive do the Suns have to do this besides clearing playing time for their youngsters?
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#4 » by urgal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:34 pm

StaticRoar wrote:What incentive do the Suns have to do this besides clearing playing time for their youngsters?

Tanking!
dkjjr
Junior
And1: 17

Post#5 » by dkjjr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Wall - Maynor/Marshall
Beal - Brown/Rice
Porter - Ariza/Webster
Nene - Booker/Harrington
Gortat - Singleton/Seraphin

Can only get better from there.
NiqtheAntiq
Senior
And1: 227

Post#6 » by NiqtheAntiq » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Okafor's deal is shorter than Gorat's, I think the Suns are high on the Morris twins and their cheap deals. Okafor can be flipped at the deadline to a contender since he still has some gas in the tank and is an ok defender. he needs to be on a firm playoff team at this point in his career but he could play a Jermaine O'Neal type role this season on the Sun's and be bought out at season's end.

Shannon Brown is a good backup for Beal, can provide energy off the bench and can play the 3 spot as well. Should start some games for the Wiz.

Marshall has pretty much been confirmed as a bust by Suns management since he didn't play much even in preseason. He however is a good backup for Wall and might surprise some if given 25-30 minutes a game if Wall happens to get injured again.

I would say The Wiz win this deal but Suns got rid of some parts they didn't need. Gorat should do well out East but he wasn't the cornerstone of what the Suns are doing longterm.
diegorico89
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by diegorico89 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 pm

NiqtheAntiq wrote:Okafor's deal is shorter than Gorat's, I think the Suns are high on the Morris twins and their cheap deals. Okafor can be flipped at the deadline to a contender since he still has some gas in the tank and is an ok defender. he needs to be on a firm playoff team at this point in his career but he could play a Jermaine O'Neal type role this season on the Sun's and be bought out at season's end.

Shannon Brown is a good backup for Beal, can provide energy off the bench and can play the 3 spot as well. Should start some games for the Wiz.

Marshall has pretty much been confirmed as a bust by Suns management since he didn't play much even in preseason. He however is a good backup for Wall and might surprise some if given 25-30 minutes a game if Wall happens to get injured again.

I would say The Wiz win this deal but Suns got rid of some parts they didn't need. Gorat should do well out East but he wasn't the cornerstone of what the Suns are doing longterm.

They both only have 1-yr left on their deals. I'm surprised the Suns were able to get very little for Gortat. I understand why they would want to trade him as they were not going to commit to him long-term at seasons end without any real franchise player on the roster to build around. Makes sense for the Suns to be as bad as they can and clear up cap space to try and find that franchise player via the draft or free agency in the future. On the bright side, expect to see a lot of Alex Lin this season.
JoRain
Sophomore
And1: 151

Post#8 » by JoRain » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:49 pm

NiqtheAntiq wrote:Okafor's deal is shorter than Gorat's, I think the Suns are high on the Morris twins and their cheap deals. Okafor can be flipped at the deadline to a contender since he still has some gas in the tank and is an ok defender. he needs to be on a firm playoff team at this point in his career but he could play a Jermaine O'Neal type role this season on the Sun's and be bought out at season's end.

Actually Gortat is expiring contract, so good luck overpaying him next year, Shannon the Cannon cannot play 3 and really - good riddance. Who wins this trade really will depend on the pick the Suns will get and how much Gortat will cost to Wiz next summer. can't judge it before then
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#9 » by dballislife » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:55 pm

win win for both teams, wiz get better and suns get worse...sadly suns pathetic roster still looks a bit better than philly
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Saig
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#10 » by Saig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:03 pm

I like this trade for the Suns because it gives them a good pick next year in one of the most hyped drafts of all time and at the same time, makes them worse! Not sure why the Wizards were willing to give away their pick for that though. Maybe they see some potential for Marshall or something.
Valanciunuts
Sixth Man
And1: 929

Post#11 » by Valanciunuts » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Wiz won this trade, only because the pick is top 12 protected. Then again who cares, Suns are going to have a better chance for a top 3 pick.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#12 » by NashtyNas » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Valanciunuts wrote:Wiz won this trade, only because the pick is top 12 protected. Then again who cares, Suns are going to have a better chance for a top 3 pick.

I certainly agree here. This is a bonehead move by the Suns FO. That pick isn't going to be sent to us any time soon, the Wiz aren't making the play offs with or without Gortat. I'd be a lot happier if we sent out Frye instead of Brown + Marshall, to be honest.

Still, I can't complain. I'd rather get an expiring and a pick for Gortat than have to take on Perkins.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#13 » by Sam195 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:16 pm

As many people have mentioned below, this is a clear tanking strategy by the suns to get worse. But for the wizards, this move clearly shows the team is in a playoffs or bust mode to appease John Wall and their demanding owner Ted leonsis who has been promising fans the wizards would make the playoffs the last three seasons. The only thing that surprises me is that okc didn't jump on this gortat trade - they probably could have generated a similar deal revolving around perkins. I guess Prest didn't pursue the deal because like Kevin martin last season, the thunder likely would not have been able to afford Gortat's contract demands as a ufa at the end of the season without going into the luxuary tax. The wizards pick will be in the late teens or 20s if they make the playoffs in a top-heavy east where spots 6-8 seem reachable but they likely get blown out in the first round.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#14 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:28 pm

At this point the Suns are captaining an M1A1, WITH the optional Urban Survival Kit.
gold0259
Sixth Man
And1: 65

Post#15 » by gold0259 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:02 am

Brown is great
Walla86
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#16 » by Walla86 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 am

urgal wrote:
StaticRoar wrote:What incentive do the Suns have to do this besides clearing playing time for their youngsters?

Tanking!

Bingo!!!!
Only comment needed, "Tanking!"
dynamicswami
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#17 » by dynamicswami » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:42 am

I_Socrates wrote:
Valanciunuts wrote:Wiz won this trade, only because the pick is top 12 protected. Then again who cares, Suns are going to have a better chance for a top 3 pick.

I certainly agree here. This is a bonehead move by the Suns FO. That pick isn't going to be sent to us any time soon, the Wiz aren't making the play offs with or without Gortat. I'd be a lot happier if we sent out Frye instead of Brown + Marshall, to be honest.

Still, I can't complain. I'd rather get an expiring and a pick for Gortat than have to take on Perkins.

That pick will get unprotected at some point in time. (David Aldridge reports that the pick is top-10 protected from 2015-19 and then there is none.) And getting that pick in the 13-17 range this year with a loaded draft is not such a bad thing. And if Suns draft right, then thats a cheap serviceble player for 3-4 years.

Frye can play Center position, a stretch Center, so trading him leave them thin at C. Morris twins can play both the PF spots. then Miles Plumlee can play Center/PF. And don't forget Alex Len, their priced lottery draft pick. So trading Gortat is and was the right thing to do, if you want Alex Len and Miles Plumlee to play more. And getting rid of Brown, makes more playing time for Bledsoe and Archie Goodwin. This trade only shows that Dragic will be gone, at the right price, by end of this season. And Omeka Okafor, can be traded if he plays by the middle of the season, and if not then that's a salary cap space.

Wizards only win this if they make the playoffs and are able to resign Gortat at the right value. If not then they get rid of Okafor, their 1st round draft pick for NOTHING. (Brown/Lee/Marshall are reported to be let go over Jan Vasely/Chris Singleton/Garret Temple. At leats Brown is serviceable.)
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#18 » by PDXKnight » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:06 am

My gut tells me this move is more about tanking than value.
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#19 » by kobe48306 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:33 am

Oden2 wrote:My gut tells me this move is more about tanking than value.

Ya think!
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#20 » by WTFsunsFTW » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:43 am

Anyone following the Suns knows this is a superb trade. Shedding Brown and Marshall were the top priorities, as they are both not worth their contracts. Losing gortat is a bummer, but we have two young centers in Len and Plumlee that need floor time to develop. We will rehab Okafor with our magic training staff and flip him to a contender at the trade deadline for more assets. McDonough has done a fantastic GM job in his short stay in Phoenix thus far.

Bledsoe/Smith
Dragic/Goodwin
Green/Tucker
Morris/Morris/Frye
Plumlee/Len

+4 2014 1st rounders!

No substance yet, but loads of potential.

Return to Wiretap Discussion