Steve Nash Will Use Next Two Years To Prove To Himself He Can Still Contribute

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Steve Nash Will Use Next Two Years To Prove To Himself He Can Still Contribute 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Nov 8, 2013 7:37 pm

Steve Nash says he plans to use this season and next season to prove to himself that he is still a contributor in the NBA and able to play on a regular basis.

"I've got to find a way to get through that and prove to myself every day that I can contribute," Nash said. "Hopefully, I can get through 18 months and contribute and produce."

When asked if he could question whether he can still play next season, Nash said: "I don't think so. I'm already not the player I want to be and just [have] a different body. My body's different. I'm still trying to adjust and adapt and get my body to accept a certain amount of the pounding and forces and be able to adjust my game and still be productive. I still feel like I've got a lot of life left without basketball so I'm going to try to enjoy it and make the most of these last 18-20 months, whatever it is."

Nash also is not thinking about retirement at this point.

"No. I'm not there yet. No."

Via Ken Berger/CBS Sports

TPPsweetlou
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Steve Nash Will Use Next Two Years To Prove To Himself H 

Post#2 » by TPPsweetlou » Fri Nov 8, 2013 7:44 pm

If by contribute he means as the backup point off the bench then sure. His back and neck issues seem to have taken a toll on his play. I hope he proves me wrong.
THREE POINT PLAY podcast, talking NBA news, fantasy, and betting -- download and subscribe
Biased_Fan6425
Starter
And1: 1,383

Post#3 » by Biased_Fan6425 » Fri Nov 8, 2013 7:45 pm

Your a good soldier Stevie but please retire after this season...
3 max contracts for us... :)
Lets go Lakers!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#4 » by Dan2087 » Sat Nov 9, 2013 1:06 am

Time to hang em up
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#5 » by youblewwit » Sat Nov 9, 2013 6:37 am

Lol...there goes Laker fans' hopes of him retiring and getting an extra $9.7mil cap space.

No reason to retire either, not when you're due another $9.7mil NEXT year.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#6 » by Leto » Sat Nov 9, 2013 3:03 pm

Talk about lowered expectations.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#7 » by inquisitive » Sat Nov 9, 2013 3:08 pm

why should he retire...as long as he can play 41 games, he is fine...also, he still has alot between the ears that can help the young ballers...that bear hug on lin was vintage stockton/malone hug on drexler.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Arsilva » Sat Nov 9, 2013 4:26 pm

Like Karl Malone, he joined his main rival to "buy" a championship...it only worked for Ray Allen.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#9 » by cdubbz » Sat Nov 9, 2013 8:07 pm

Arsilva wrote:Like Karl Malone, he joined his main rival to "buy" a championship...it only worked for Ray Allen.

Funny how people like to discredit players who've played 10+ years and are at the end of their careers for joining a championship team to give it one more shot at a ring.

If i was a veteran with a few years left in my career I would do the same thing to get the experience of winning a championship.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#10 » by MegaK » Sat Nov 9, 2013 8:12 pm

Hope he could get it together. Nash was one of the funest people to watch on the court. His vision and his shot was a thing of beauty. Hope he can get somewhere near that again. Also you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy in the NBA.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#11 » by miltk » Sat Nov 9, 2013 11:11 pm

ummmmm. this whole interview sounds weird. at the very least, if he says he "will use the next two years to prove to himself,,,,", doesn't that make the rest of the q&a moot? to wit: "When asked if he could question whether he can still play next season" _______didn't he just address that?????

QED
ATF
Junior
And1: 40

Post#12 » by ATF » Sat Nov 9, 2013 11:20 pm

Just hold on 20 more months Steve... Eat into their cap. Do it for Phoenix.
Suns.
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#13 » by truthiness » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:36 am

Biased_Fan6425 wrote:Your a good soldier Stevie but please retire after this season...
3 max contracts for us... :)

Even if the Lakers would get 3 max spots ... I doubt there'd be 3 players willing to take them (players that would deserve such money, cause every scrub would gladly take it).

Somehow I doubt Lebron would go play with Kobe for a dysfunctional front office and for a no-defense coach.
Can't really see Wade leaving Miami, and he plays the same position as Kobe.
Bosh is good, maybe not superstar good, but worth the max. But if Lebron and Wade stay, I think he stays with them to look for more titles.
Melo seems to prefer to stay in NY (and he'll get those extra money this summer). And I don't think you can really win with Melo as your best player.

So that leaves .... who ?

Just give Kobe all those money, cause no superstar else is eager to play with him anyway.
Give him the money and let him shoot 40 times a night.
Chasing those 100p for a game and the total scoring record would be the most fitting career ending for him.
Sc0pe92
Sixth Man
And1: 597

Post#14 » by Sc0pe92 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:55 am

Im sorry Steve you were great and still are but you need to hangup the jersey already
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#15 » by Arsilva » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Just give Kobe all those money, cause no superstar else is eager to play with him anyway.
Give him the money and let him shoot 40 times a night.
Chasing those 100p for a game and the total scoring record would be the most fitting career ending for him.[/quote]

People tend to forget that Kobe had some less than 10 points game back in 2006-07, like against Phoenix in the playoffs....as Bynum started to bring some scoring punch, he could do that.

Return to Wiretap Discussion