Pau Gasol, Lakers Haven't Discussed Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pau Gasol, Lakers Haven't Discussed Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 am

The Los Angeles Lakers have not held extension discussions with Pau Gasol, who is eligible for free agency this offseason.

Gasol, who is 33, is averaging 14.3 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.2 blocks this season.

"We have not had any discussions with Pau," general manager Mitch Kupchak said Tuesday on a conference call with a small group of reporters. "I’m sure I will and where that leads I’m not sure right now. A lot has to do with different variables. I’m not saying that something won’t be considered and I’m not saying that something will be. I’m just saying that it’s not something that came up and it wouldn’t have come up before (Monday) anyway. There was no reason for anything to take place until we signed Kobe. So, we’ll kind of roll with that and see where it leads."

Gasol said he did not know how Bryant's new deal impacts his contract status.

"I try not to make that assumption," Gasol said on Tuesday. "If I am, I will. If I’m not . . . I’m just focusing on trying to play as well as I can and finish the season as good as I can so I’m in the best position as possible for next year. That’s just my mindset about it."

Gasol was asked if he's about Bryant taking up $23.5 million of the Lakers' expected $62.9 million in cap space next season.

"I don’t really think about that," Gasol said. "I thought it was a good extension for him. He’s the face of the Lakers, pretty much. So, I just think it caught a lot of people off guard unexpectedly without him being back playing and showing how well has he recovered from that injury. Other than that, it was a great extension for him. 

"As far as me, or the team which is I’m most concerned about, how can you add other pieces around him and valuable pieces so we can win a title. But that’s the only concern. I’m not good with the mathematics and the numbers of the equation here, but that’s the only concern." 

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Re: Pau Gasol, Lakers Haven't Discussed Extension 

Post#2 » by inquisitive » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:24 am

he should sign with a contender next season...take less $ and be a starter for contender.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#3 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:50 am

IMHO Pau wont be back. I'm going to miss seeing him in purple and gold if that happens.

But I would hope that he would go back to Mempis and play along side his brother. It would be really cool seeing brothers on the same team. Twin tower bros, one great at passing and O, the other great at D just seems like a great fit.

Memphis may have their missing piece.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Islander
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#4 » by Islander » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:16 am

Pau would be perfect on San Antonio as a complement to Duncan.

He's better than Splitter.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 pm

If lakers can convince a team like the raptors to eat steve nash's salary for the rest of this season and next year than they will have the salary cap room to offer gasol a reasonable extension say 4 years, 50 million and still have enough cap space to sign carmelo to a max deal in 2014 or go after kevin love or lamarcus aldridge in 2015. I could see the raptors trading for nash if at some point they realize they are better off tanking the season to get a high draft pick and want to entice fans to still come to the games to see a Canadian icon play. Nash at this point in his career is the perfect starting point guard for a team that wants to lose a lot of games.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#6 » by malgus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Well now we can call BS on the other article that Kupchak says the Lakers have a long history of taking care of players

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... To-Players
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#7 » by mj_shoefanatic » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 pm

After signing Kobe to a bloated overrated 2yr deal why would they discuss an extension w/ Pau-lina LOLAKERS

Return to Wiretap Discussion