Pau Gasol Not Ruling Out 'Appealing' Return To Grizzlies

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pau Gasol Not Ruling Out 'Appealing' Return To Grizzlies 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 am

Pau Gasol will become a free agent in the offseason and has not ruled out a return to the Memphis Grizzlies among what will be many options for the veteran power forward.

“It’s appealing,” Pau Gasol said. “One of the best centers in the NBA, one of the best interior players, is my brother. There’s a lot of attractive factors there. But who knows if that’s even a possibility or if that will ever happen. Right now, I’m just trying to focus on (the Lakers’ opponents) and staying healthy and playing a very successful year so this team and others will have the certainty and the confidence that I am a difference maker, that I am an elite player and I have a lot of years in me.”

Gasol's brother, Marc, was an NBA All-Star in 2012. Pau Gasol spent his first six and a half seasons with the Grizzlies.

“If there’s possibilities of being in a place that has those type of chances, it’s something I will think about,” Gasol said. “But, again, I’m not in that position yet. I’m here. We’re just kind of guessing here. We’ll see. We’ll cross the bridge when I get there. No rush.”

Via Scott Howard-Cooper/NBA.com

denimourson
Rookie
And1: 615

Re: Pau Gasol Not Ruling Out 'Appealing' Return To Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by denimourson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:54 am

Trade him for Marc Gasol :lol:

Brady to LBJ: Psst...hey, man you want these deflated basketballs?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#3 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 am

It'll be cool that Pau did resign and play with his little bro in Memphis, but Memphis already have a young PF in Ed Davis who is only 24-years-old, Z-Bo of course, and even another 24-years-old PF in Jon Leuer who is a very solid #3 PF. Don't see this happening.
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#4 » by thegreenlife » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:18 am

denimourson wrote:Trade him for Marc Gasol :lol:

Marc is better than Pau... Why would the Grizzlies do this trade? Delusional Lakers fan.
denimourson
Rookie
And1: 615

Post#5 » by denimourson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:35 am

thegreenlife wrote:

Marc is better than Pau... Why would the Grizzlies do this trade? Delusional Lakers fan.

LOL I know that trade is ludicrous but people have said that the first time around when both Gasols were involved. And you can expect that Lakers are getting first dibs on Andrea Gasol.

Brady to LBJ: Psst...hey, man you want these deflated basketballs?
floatingpig
Junior
And1: 4

Post#6 » by floatingpig » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 am

He's just being polite. No way he goes back and no way Memphis signs him.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#7 » by crazymaso » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:39 am

Pretty sure Z-Bo will be taking up his player option so can't see how they would have the cap space to sign him anyway.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#8 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 am

Tomorrow's news: Pau Gasol doesn't rule out dying in 2014. Thanks to another great reporter question
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#9 » by Arsilva » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:It'll be cool that Pau did resign and play with his little bro in Memphis, but Memphis already have a young PF in Ed Davis who is only 24-years-old, Z-Bo of course, and even another 24-years-old PF in Jon Leuer who is a very solid #3 PF. Don't see this happening.

---
Maybe Pau Gasol sign a bellow market value contract, just like Andrei Kirilenko did. There he could play for a contender, play with his brother and extend his career lowering his mpg.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#10 » by inquisitive » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:53 pm

where ever he goes, he'll be more appreciated for sure.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Walla86
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Walla86 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:15 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Tomorrow's news: Pau Gasol doesn't rule out dying in 2014. Thanks to another great reporter question

By far the best comment here for this article.

News Report: Pau Gasol doesn't rule out eating pizza for breakfast.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#12 » by malgus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:25 pm

News Report: Pau Gasol not ruling out earning money for playing basketball somewhere
Championships
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#13 » by Championships » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:32 pm

floatingpig wrote:He's just being polite. No way he goes back and no way Memphis signs him.

Never say never when talking about the NBA, anything can happen.
larry1015
Sophomore
And1: 11
Location: When I roar like a Grizzly, people say Damn, he gets busy!

Post#14 » by larry1015 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Hah, my family would love that, Laker fans all of them.

I remember how upset I was when Pau got traded to L.A. but it all worked out in the end. Truth be told, I'd love to see him back in a Memphis uni. I hope he comes back.
slimshaid
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by slimshaid » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Pau knows Memphis would be a smart move for him if they're interested...last year when his role was reduced he clearly wanted out of LA. Granted his role has resumed now, but the Lakers know Pau isnt the same as he used to be and will be looking for a splashy replacement. He can go to Memphis and do what Ray Allen did, play a sixth man type role and have a better shot at contending now. The Laker's will be back, they got the allure and the money to grab up stars/semi-stars...it'll take some time and likely wont include Pau. Also let's not forget that the Gasols chemistry is unbelievable, perfect compliments and a lifetime of chemistry.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#16 » by IMAN5 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 pm

I would love to see the Gasol brothers dominate together, I think it would be a great pairing. Z-bo would have to be moved for that to work. Not sure if many takers after an injury proned season.

First Mike Miller and now possibly Gasol? Maybe Jason Williams will be called back. Stromile Swift anyone? :lol:
instagram.com/510movement
devinbrady
Junior
And1: 145

Post#17 » by devinbrady » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Arsilva wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:It'll be cool that Pau did resign and play with his little bro in Memphis, but Memphis already have a young PF in Ed Davis who is only 24-years-old, Z-Bo of course, and even another 24-years-old PF in Jon Leuer who is a very solid #3 PF. Don't see this happening.

---
Maybe Pau Gasol sign a bellow market value contract, just like Andrei Kirilenko did. There he could play for a contender, play with his brother and extend his career lowering his mpg.

Maybe Pau Gasol sign a bellow market value contract, just like Andrei Kirilenko did...
Below market value for Kirilenko--- Is there such a thing? Amazing there was a market value for BrokeK 47.. GO NETS HAHA!
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#18 » by truthiness » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:56 pm

Anybody thinks Gasol wouldn't love to pay back the Lakers for trying to trade him for a couple of years in a row, actually trading him, letting D'Antoni bench him, treating him like crap etc ?

And not just the Lakers. I am not sure he enjoyed being Kobe's whipping boy and being blamed by fans for everything.

I'd say it's 50-50 he signs for a discount with the Heat this summer just to piss off the Lakers and Kobe.
He seems to be the kind of passive-aggressive dude to do this.

Another 20% odds he goes to Memphis and 30% he just takes the best offer, that surely won't come from the Lakers.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#19 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm

truthiness wrote:Anybody thinks Gasol wouldn't love to pay back the Lakers for trying to trade him for a couple of years in a row, actually trading him, letting D'Antoni bench him, treating him like crap etc ?

And not just the Lakers. I am not sure he enjoyed being Kobe's whipping boy and being blamed by fans for everything.

I'd say it's 50-50 he signs for a discount with the Heat this summer just to piss off the Lakers and Kobe.
He seems to be the kind of passive-aggressive dude to do this.

Another 20% odds he goes to Memphis and 30% he just takes the best offer, that surely won't come from the Lakers.

Say what you will but no one handled their situation than Pau - after all of those things he put up with from the Lakers organization that you mention, he still goes out there every day and competes.

Just compare that to the way Dwight Howard or Asik (most recent example) are handling theirs. Whine whine whine, change agents, "be injured", etc.

Pau is the only one to just shrug everything off even after being benched behind Dwight for one season or moved to a PF/mid-range shooter position (basically losing his role at the C spot). The only reason he wouldn't sign with the Lakers would be due to their inability to make a championship team, but Pau has mad respect from Kobe (which is hard to come by, just find Kobe's comments on Smush Parker...a former teammate).

Hopefully the management can see that, otherwise any other team he joins will be that much better assuming he can remain healthy.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#20 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Arsilva wrote:

---

Yea that's possible. It would be great if he does that and be a backup PF/C to Z-Bo and his little brother, but as everybody know, the pride and ego will always come along the way.

Return to Wiretap Discussion