McHale's 'Emotional' Message Pushed Casspi To Sign With Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

McHale's 'Emotional' Message Pushed Casspi To Sign With Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Omri Casspi has stabilized himself as a reserve in the Houston Rockets' rotation and credits Kevin McHale's recruitment of him for his contract with the team in the offseason.

Casspi added McHale's message to him served as a confidence booster.

“Coach (Kevin) McHale left me a message over the summer when they started recruiting me and we started talking,” Casspi said. “I still have it. He said he wanted me to play the three and the four. He explained I could spread the floor and help the team win and that he liked the way I compete. That was one of the main reasons I came here. I still have that message and I still listen to it once in a while.

“It was the first time I really talked to a coach that really talked to me. This team was obviously was supposed to be good whether I was going to be here or not. But to be a part of the team that can compete and compete for a championship, after what I’d been through, and then he left me this message that said he loves me and wants me to come and play hard and help and do the things I do. That was just an emotional day, you know.”

Casspi also received interest the San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizzlies and Washington Wizards in free agency.

“Going into free agency, I was surprised because a few teams called a few times,” Casspi said. “My No. 1 goal was to come to Houston, but there were a few teams that called. I was surprised because I didn’t play. I wasn’t a part of the rotation. Some people called me out, said I should be out of the league. I knew if I got a chance to play and got in a good system and good city, I could do things. I can play.

“You don’t really know. Until July 1, nobody can call. I was thinking about going overseas. I thought maybe my time here is done. But Houston showed a lot of interest.”

Via Jonathan Feigen/Houston Chronicle

giantkiller
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: McHale's 'Emotional' Message Pushed Casspi To Sign With  

Post#2 » by giantkiller » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Great article. Not to discredit the writer but, there are grammatical errors and missing pauses throughout the entire article. Please proofread.

I felt so dumb after reading this article.

Kudos to Casspi and the rockets.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#3 » by Lapinski » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Great to hear a do good story.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#4 » by LaRance » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:05 pm

:D thats nice
Shingaling
Freshman
And1: 57

Post#5 » by Shingaling » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:45 am

Not to take away from the article, but by emotional Casspi was referring to his own reaction. McHale's message in itself probably wasn't very emotional
CBFAlex
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#6 » by CBFAlex » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:49 am

O I was guessing it was because noone else wanted him
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,505

Post#7 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:59 am

GOAT!!!!
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#8 » by Donnyxc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Shingaling wrote:Not to take away from the article, but by emotional Casspi was referring to his own reaction. McHale's message in itself probably wasn't very emotional

Probably true. McHale is an old school kind of guy.

Doesn't always have to be a long message, just a powerful one. The best coaches do actions that make their players want to play for them. Transcending the SSS and personal motivation bs.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
TV63
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#9 » by TV63 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Many Cavs fans knew Casspi was given a raw deal from Bryon Scott. There were a couple of games we knew if Casspi was in; we would have won. Scott never forgave him when he was going through his appendix surgery. He didn't encourage him either. It was plain cruel what they were doing to him. We kept saying just trade him, let him go play somewhere else. He just sat there game after game never shaking the dust off the bench. It was insane! He was a victim of Bryon Scott's infamous doghouse. He HAD to have 2 token players he punished to be on the bench. Casspi was a permanent resident for no reason at all. I am not surprised he is thriving somewhere else. Hope he continues doing well!
CBFAlex
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#10 » by CBFAlex » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:25 pm

TV63 wrote:Many Cavs fans knew Casspi was given a raw deal from Bryon Scott. There were a couple of games we knew if Casspi was in; we would have won. Scott never forgave him when he was going through his appendix surgery. He didn't encourage him either. It was plain cruel what they were doing to him. We kept saying just trade him, let him go play somewhere else. He just sat there game after game never shaking the dust off the bench. It was insane! He was a victim of Bryon Scott's infamous doghouse. He HAD to have 2 token players he punished to be on the bench. Casspi was a permanent resident for no reason at all. I am not surprised he is thriving somewhere else. Hope he continues doing well!

I disagree with you casspi was garbage in cleveland maybe hes player well now, maybe it was scot fralut but he just played awful hed come in for a minture and immediatly turn the ball over

Return to Wiretap Discussion