Herb Kohl Seeks New Investors Committed To Keeping Bucks In Milwaukee

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Herb Kohl Seeks New Investors Committed To Keeping Bucks In Milwaukee 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Herb Kohl addressed his ownership status of the Milwaukee Bucks on Monday and stated he is seeking new investors who are committed to keep the team in its current city.

Kohl anticipates the process will take several months and he has retained Allen & Co. of New York City as his adviser.

“The process will start this week and will take as long as it needs to take,” Kohl said. “We will do whatever is necessary to ensure that anyone that joins the ownership is as committed to keeping the team in Milwaukee as I am.”

“Senator Kohl bought the Bucks in 1985 in order to ensure the team would remain in Milwaukee," David Stern said in a statement. "During his extraordinary stewardship his goal remained the same -- to bring the fans of Wisconsin high-quality basketball from a team they would be proud to call their ‘home’ team.  With this announcement, Senator Kohl continues his mission: to assure continuity of ownership by broadening its ownership base, and assuring that the fans of Wisconsin will enjoy NBA basketball and other events in a new state-of-the-art facility.”

Kohl any new agreements will include a clause requiring that the team remain in Milwaukee.

Via Rich Kirchen/The Business Journal

truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Re: Herb Kohl Seeks New Investors Committed To Keeping Bucks 

Post#2 » by truthiness » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:17 am

The NBA has told Kohl that the Bucks need a new arena to meet the league's standards.

Translation: You need to sell the team, old man. Your team is a joke, a punch line and an embarrassment to the league.

Well, then they move to Seattle they at least keep the green as one of their colors.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#3 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:07 am

truthiness wrote:
The NBA has told Kohl that the Bucks need a new arena to meet the league's standards.

Translation: You need to sell the team, old man. Your team is a joke, a punch line and an embarrassment to the league.

Well, then they move to Seattle they at least keep the green as one of their colors.

No, I rather doubt they said that to a man the NBA was honored to have. Their own U.S. Senator. Kinda handy.

But it is doubtless a veiled little shot across the bow of Wisconsin politicos and voters. The Sacramento thing showed the way. If you build it, we will stay.
GSWbenchwarmer
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#4 » by GSWbenchwarmer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:46 am

If Kohl had any brains he would move the team to Seattle. Milwaukee is too boring and too cold. No players want to be there and the franchise has just been complete fail for years now.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#5 » by JazzMatt13 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 am

Milwaukee is in Wisconsin?!? I haven't had this big of revelation since...realizing Green Bay is in Wisconsin.....Before that was realizing Wisconsin is actually a state, a state that people actually live in.
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#6 » by truthiness » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:41 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
truthiness wrote:

No, I rather doubt they said that to a man the NBA was honored to have. Their own U.S. Senator. Kinda handy.

But it is doubtless a veiled little shot across the bow of Wisconsin politicos and voters. The Sacramento thing showed the way. If you build it, we will stay.

If they want to buy a senator, I am sure they can find one much cheaper than the tens or hundreds of millions they are missing by having a really really bad team in Milwaukee instead of having a most likely much better managed team in Seattle.

Not to mention how a record deal to sell the team to the Seattle group would probably inflate the values of all the other franchises as well, so each owner would welcome it.

Sorry for Milwaukee, but a combination of small market + incredible amounts of incompetence is a recipe for disaster.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,617

Post#7 » by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:22 pm

GSWbenchwarmer wrote:If Kohl had any brains he would move the team to Seattle. Milwaukee is too boring and too cold. No players want to be there and the franchise has just been complete fail for years now.

Have you actually ever been there to say those things? Green Bay is the smallest market in the NFL and has even less than Milwaukee, yet players want to play in Green Bay to win. Winning cures everything. Not to mention the players don't have to live there in the off-season and are out on the road half the time during the season. If Milwaukee put together a winning culture, players won't care that it's in Milwaukee. Don't be ignorant.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#8 » by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:23 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:Milwaukee is in Wisconsin?!? I haven't had this big of revelation since...realizing Green Bay is in Wisconsin.....Before that was realizing Wisconsin is actually a state, a state that people actually live in.

You sound like an idiot.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#9 » by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:25 pm

truthiness wrote:If they want to buy a senator, I am sure they can find one much cheaper than the tens or hundreds of millions they are missing by having a really really bad team in Milwaukee instead of having a most likely much better managed team in Seattle.

Not to mention how a record deal to sell the team to the Seattle group would probably inflate the values of all the other franchises as well, so each owner would welcome it.

Sorry for Milwaukee, but a combination of small market + incredible amounts of incompetence is a recipe for disaster.

Why should Seattle get someone else's team? Seattle was terrible in attendance the last few years the Sonics were there. They can't even fill Mariner games now. Milwaukee sells out Brewer games constantly. If the Bucks get a new arena and owner, the fans will come back. Create a winning culture. It's that simple.
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#10 » by burritoKURUMA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:42 pm

StikWitEM wrote:
truthiness wrote:If they want to buy a senator, I am sure they can find one much cheaper than the tens or hundreds of millions they are missing by having a really really bad team in Milwaukee instead of having a most likely much better managed team in Seattle.

Why should Seattle get someone else's team? Seattle was terrible in attendance the last few years the Sonics were there. They can't even fill Mariner games now. Milwaukee sells out Brewer games constantly. If the Bucks get a new arena and owner, the fans will come back. Create a winning culture. It's that simple.

Saying X team is not performing well right now, thus they should move is something people like to toss out there quite a lot.

At the same time, I'm on the fence with Milwaukee. It's been in the top half of the league for attendance only once in the last decade, and even then they were only 14th. I'm not saying they should move, but it just looks like they don't get excited about the NBA.

What's more concerning to me is that the Grizzlies are always near the bottom of the league for attendance despite deep playoff runs and the DPOY. The Bucks aren't really expected to pack em in since they haven't been playing well. What's Memphis' excuse?
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#11 » by nikster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:57 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:
StikWitEM wrote:

Saying X team is not performing well right now, thus they should move is something people like to toss out there quite a lot.

At the same time, I'm on the fence with Milwaukee. It's been in the top half of the league for attendance only once in the last decade, and even then they were only 14th. I'm not saying they should move, but it just looks like they don't get excited about the NBA.

What's more concerning to me is that the Grizzlies are always near the bottom of the league for attendance despite deep playoff runs and the DPOY. The Bucks aren't really expected to pack em in since they haven't been playing well. What's Memphis' excuse?

its a small market team thats made the playoffs 3 times in 13 yrs, eliminated 1st round every time. Their attendance is pretty good considering

Return to Wiretap Discussion