Celtics, Kings Haven't Discussed Rajon Rondo Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Celtics, Kings Haven't Discussed Rajon Rondo Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:10 pm

Contrary to speculation and rumors, the Boston Celtics and Sacramento Kings have not held trade talks on Rajon Rondo.

Sources from both sides confirmed to Sam Amick that no discussions have been held.

The Latino Post reported that the Kings were moving closer to sending Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore, Marcus Thornton, Jason Thompson and picks to the Celtics in a deal for Rondo.

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Re: Celtics, Kings Haven't Discussed Rajon Rondo Trade 

Post#2 » by VC-INJURY » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Crazy over-pay on the Kings part if they did this.

Rondo is coming off an ACL injury and is already 27 years old. They should only be trading one of Thomas or McLemore.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#3 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:33 pm

VC-INJURY wrote:Crazy over-pay on the Kings part if they did this.

Rondo is coming off an ACL injury and is already 27 years old. They should only be trading one of Thomas or McLemore.

It's as if the Kings GM is asking for Ainge to fleece him.
Credits to Jstock12
Stolen Team Fan
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#4 » by Stolen Team Fan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Agreed. also:
Contrary to speculation and rumors

Didn't I say this trade yesterday in the "Kings need a pass-first PG" thread? Awww, they listened! :P

Anyways, McLemore would have to stay with the Kings in this deal. As much as I like IT, he should go to the Celtics rather than be relegated to the Kings bench yet again. Thornton, Thompson, anybody else (other than Cousins) on the roster, & picks? OK, I can see that. Even if the pick is unprotected (or maybe top-3 this year, and none next year) would be OK. I know it sounds risky, but the Kings will never get out of lottery hell unless they try something with risk.

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:It's as if the Kings GM is asking for Ainge to fleece him.

Not if they Keep McLemore. Obviously this would all be contingent on Rondo being examined by the team doctors. But if Rondo is healthy, then this would work well for the Kings. They would have a PG that could dish out to Cousins and Gay, and would expertly set up McLemore to get him going, as opposed to being forgotten like he has been ever since Gay got there.

Plus I just want to see Cousins and Rondo together. It would either be a perfect storm of attitudinal awesome, or a popcorn-worthy drama-fest where they try to kill each other. Either way... entertaining as heck.
I move around so much, I've just decided to start rooting for everybody.
Except the Heat.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#5 » by ryaningf » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Great, now I've lost complete faith in the Latino Post.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#6 » by MKG35 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:23 pm

"Already 27 years old"

He's old man, he can't play anymore. Let's write him off. His window is closing, 1 more year and he'll be mediocre.

Give me a break. Rondo is entering his prime, if he doesn't get another freak accident he's set for the coming next 5 to 6 years since he doesn't rely on explosiveness or athleticism like Rose does. Rondo should be able to have a similar career like Stockton, Nash, Kidd.
Son of Ra
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#7 » by Son of Ra » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

ryaningf wrote:Great, now I've lost complete faith in the Latino Post.

I loled. +1
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,228

Post#8 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:55 pm

I actually think that's a great trade both ways.

Isah Thomas is a nice young player, obviously undersized but has potential. Ben Mclemore could develop really well, and those picks matter.

Kings will have serious shooting troubles with Rondo and Gay though. Gay shoots the 3 mediocrely, but combine him with Rondo and shooting becomes a problem.
Stolen Team Fan
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#9 » by Stolen Team Fan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:15 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:Kings will have serious shooting troubles with Rondo and Gay though. Gay shoots the 3 mediocrely, but combine him with Rondo and shooting becomes a problem.

That's why the Kings would have to keep McLemore in any deal. Otherwise it is pointless to trade one glaring weakness for another.
I move around so much, I've just decided to start rooting for everybody.
Except the Heat.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#10 » by Sam195 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:26 pm

How are the kings being fleeced, I don't think the celtics are getting enough for rondo. If the C's are trading away rondo, it basically indicates that they want to do rebuilding from the bottom up like okc/seattle and be one of the leagues worst teams for 2 or 3 subsequent drafts while obtaining top 5 picks. Why would the celtics want the multi year contracts of jason thompson and marcus thorton, they are already having a tough time trying to unload salary of multi year contract players like gerald wallace and courtney lee. Plus, Ainge isn't stupid he'd basically be selling low if he traded rondo without seeing what he can do on the court. If Rondo has improved his jump shot something he mentioned he worked on while rehabilitating from acl surgery than his value skyrockets because he could likely increase his scoring average to 17-20 ppg while mainlining his league leading assist #s. Also Ainge loves the upcoming draft and I wouldn't be surprised if he was shopping rondo for a package that included a 2014 lottery pick similar to what philly did with jrue holiday.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#11 » by King4Day » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:57 pm

If that were the deal, Sactown would be getting the short end of it. They give up, literally, every remaining asset they would have.
It IS a fleecing because now Boston has a slew of trade pieces they can use (or build on).
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#12 » by malgus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I wonder what else the Celtics and Kings haven't discussed. Let the speculation and rumors begin!
Kingsfan916619
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Kingsfan916619 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:18 pm

The Kings need to stay the hell away from Rondo. He may be a great player, but he is also the type of player I see throwing a fit if he gets traded to a small market team and ultimately leaves when his contract is up. The Kings just need to focus on rebuilding through the draft and snag Exum or Smart.
dkjjr
Junior
And1: 17

Post#14 » by dkjjr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

ryaningf wrote:Great, now I've lost complete faith in the Latino Post.

8/10 would laugh at again
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Post#15 » by nikster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Sam195 wrote:How are the kings being fleeced, I don't think the celtics are getting enough for rondo. If the C's are trading away rondo, it basically indicates that they want to do rebuilding from the bottom up like okc/seattle and be one of the leagues worst teams for 2 or 3 subsequent drafts while obtaining top 5 picks. Why would the celtics want the multi year contracts of jason thompson and marcus thorton, they are already having a tough time trying to unload salary of multi year contract players like gerald wallace and courtney lee. Plus, Ainge isn't stupid he'd basically be selling low if he traded rondo without seeing what he can do on the court. If Rondo has improved his jump shot something he mentioned he worked on while rehabilitating from acl surgery than his value skyrockets because he could likely increase his scoring average to 17-20 ppg while mainlining his league leading assist #s. Also Ainge loves the upcoming draft and I wouldn't be surprised if he was shopping rondo for a package that included a 2014 lottery pick similar to what philly did with jrue holiday.

but if he doesnt play well coming back, what with the injury and a much weaker supporting cast, his value plummets
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#16 » by boston_fan_ct » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:32 pm

quantity does not equal a fair trade. the Celtics would have to release all but one and where do this work financially? so ben M for rondo, does anyone think that is a fair trade? one of the best PGs in the NBA for player who is equal to a draft pick at this point. if you watched rondo play last year you know he is a decent shooter now and that is not a weakness. sounds to me like a Kings fan made this one up. makes no sense at all. this isn't happening.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#17 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 am

How many more SGs do the Celtics need? They already have Jordan Crawford, Courtney Lee, Marshon Brooks, and possibly, Marcus Thornton and Ben McLemore.
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#18 » by VC-INJURY » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:50 pm

MKG35 wrote:

"Already 27 years old"

He's old man, he can't play anymore. Let's write him off. His window is closing, 1 more year and he'll be mediocre.

Give me a break. Rondo is entering his prime, if he doesn't get another freak accident he's set for the coming next 5 to 6 years since he doesn't rely on explosiveness or athleticism like Rose does. Rondo should be able to have a similar career like Stockton, Nash, Kidd.

All 3 were elite shooters (Kidd moreso in the second half of his career) and passers. Rondo has 1/2 the game they do.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#19 » by Donnyxc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Now they're saying there IS a big trade talk. F.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#20 » by ybnd » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Rondo isnt leaving he wants to stay and the celtics wanna keep him...you want rondo be prepared to give up everything on your sqaud

Return to Wiretap Discussion