Luol Deng Has Come To Terms On Possibility Of Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Luol Deng Has Come To Terms On Possibility Of Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:34 am

The Chicago Bulls are receiving inquiries about the availability of Luol Deng and he has come to accept the possibility of a move.

“Maybe some guys dwell on that or would be bothered by it, but, honestly, I really don’t care,’’ Deng said. “I know that I want to be here. I’ve always wanted to be here.

‘‘But I’m mature enough to understand that I can’t worry about things I can’t control. If I wake up tomorrow, they call me and they tell me otherwise, then that’s what it is. I can’t control that. That’s their job, and they’ve got to do their job. That’s a decision they have to make on what they feel is best for the team.’’

The Bulls and Deng were upwards of $5 million per season apart on an extension before breaking off talks.

Via Joe Cowley/Chicago Sun-Times

malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Re: Luol Deng Has Come To Terms On Possibility Of Trade 

Post#2 » by malgus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm

If he has only now come to terms with the possibility of a trade that means that he has been in denial for a long time. The Bulls have not started shopping him only now.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#3 » by inquisitive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:06 pm

he could get traded to the rockets by tomorrow via 3 team trade...haha
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#4 » by Arsilva » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:15 pm

malgus wrote:If he has only now come to terms with the possibility of a trade that means that he has been in denial for a long time. The Bulls have not started shopping him only now.

---
It seems the relationship between Tom Thibodeau and Bulls management has been wearing out for some time now. Trading Deng would probably accelerate its unavoidable end.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:32 pm

wtf, they were off by 5 million a season. I'm assuming the basis for the bulls negotiation was the deal igoudala got with the warriors this summer at 12M/season. If bulls offered anything less than that than it's just plain insulting. I think deng is probably worth 15M/season if you factor an extension is only for 3 seasons as oppose to 4 (so less guaranteed money) and deng is a much better offensive player than iggy. The fact the bulls couldn't get a deal done is because deng is seeking a max deal (around 20M a season) or the bulls are trying to force a huge hometown discount on him by offering 10M/season.
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#6 » by youblewwit » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Sam195 wrote:wtf, they were off by 5 million a season. I'm assuming the basis for the bulls negotiation was the deal igoudala got with the warriors this summer at 12M/season. If bulls offered anything less than that than it's just plain insulting. I think deng is probably worth 15M/season if you factor an extension is only for 3 seasons as oppose to 4 (so less guaranteed money) and deng is a much better offensive player than iggy. The fact the bulls couldn't get a deal done is because deng is seeking a max deal (around 20M a season) or the bulls are trying to force a huge hometown discount on him by offering 10M/season.

A report had the Bulls wanting him to take $8-9mil and Deng felt he was in Iggy's $12-13mil territory. I don't blame Deng because he WILL get that much money and the Bulls need to trade him now instead of letting him walk for nothing.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 pm

youblewwit wrote:
Sam195 wrote:wtf, they were off by 5 million a season. I'm assuming the basis for the bulls negotiation was the deal igoudala got with the warriors this summer at 12M/season. If bulls offered anything less than that than it's just plain insulting. I think deng is probably worth 15M/season if you factor an extension is only for 3 seasons as oppose to 4 (so less guaranteed money) and deng is a much better offensive player than iggy. The fact the bulls couldn't get a deal done is because deng is seeking a max deal (around 20M a season) or the bulls are trying to force a huge hometown discount on him by offering 10M/season.

A report had the Bulls wanting him to take $8-9mil and Deng felt he was in Iggy's $12-13mil territory. I don't blame Deng because he WILL get that much money and the Bulls need to trade him now instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Deng is better than iggy overall but he is injury prone, so I guess the bulls and other teams are skeptical
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#8 » by Rashidi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 am

Sam195 wrote:I think deng is probably worth 15M/season if you factor an extension is only for 3 seasons as oppose to 4 (so less guaranteed money) and deng is a much better offensive player than iggy.

Aside from this season, Deng has been the definition of offensive mediocrity.

2009-2013 (12M per)
15.2 PER
52.3 TS% on 20.9 USG%

Iguodala has DOUBLE the assist/steal rates of Deng, and has the versatility to play SG and even run an offense as a point forward. Iggy just got 12M per in his contract (2 years shorter than the one Deng signed in 2008). It seems like Deng is trying to avoid a paycut but that simply isn't going to happen. No team is going to offer him Iggy money when similar players like Andrei Kirilenko, Shawn Marion, Trevor Ariza, and even P.J. Tucker are going to be asking for far less (years and money).

Deng seems to view himself as a star but in the current cap climate teams would be foolish to pay him like one. It ain't like he's plan C for teams that fail to land LeBron or Melo.
BigLos2010
Junior
And1: 126

Post#9 » by BigLos2010 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Deng is not a much better offensive player than Igoudala. As mentioned earlier, Igoudala's overall PER is 1 point higher than Deng's. Igoudala's true shooting % is higher than Deng's. His assist percentage is higher as well. Steal percentage, turnover percentage, all advantage Igoudala. Deng cannot initiate an offense, he can't create his own shot off the dribble, he's not a particularly great distributor. I would be angry if the Bulls signed him for anything more than $8-9M, but I think he wants something more along the lines of $13-14. Thanks for the memories, Luol, now kick rocks.

Return to Wiretap Discussion