James Thompson: 'Tough' Adjusting To Kings' Constant Changes

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

James Thompson: 'Tough' Adjusting To Kings' Constant Changes 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 1, 2014 5:29 am

James Thompson is in his sixth NBA season and admitted this year has been a trying one as he once again adjusts to new teammates and coaches.

“Man, it’s been tough,” Thompson said. “For me, it’s kind of the same stuff that happens every year — new coach, new system, new players.”

Thompson is the lone player still in Sacramento since 2008, when the team drafted him in the first round, and he said no one is left from that front office.

“It’s kind of tough because usually the most consistent players and teams have guys that have been together for a long period of time and around the same system,” Thompson said. “Every year, I’m used differently.”

Thompson also acknowledged "you ponder" what it would be like to play for one of the NBA's 29 other teams.

“All of my teammates over the years give you different advice and tell you how other organizations are,” Thompson said. “I have been on this team a good amount of years, so there’s nothing — like trade rumors — I haven’t seen before.

“If a team wants to get rid of you, another team wants you. It’s good that you’re wanted. You only control what you can control. We’ll see what happens. I’ll play to the best of my abilities no matter how the situation goes.”

Via Tom Moore/Courier Times

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Re: James Thompson: 'Tough' Adjusting To Kings' Constant Cha 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Jan 1, 2014 5:41 am

Must be tough with all those transitions, they even changed his first name. Poor poor James Thompson.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#3 » by panthermark » Wed Jan 1, 2014 5:55 am

James?

WTF
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
TheIdiotGamer
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#4 » by TheIdiotGamer » Wed Jan 1, 2014 8:07 am

Wow, I looked it up and ever since jason got here, there have been 63 other players for the kings, damn, that must be tough getting used to your team then no one is left the next season.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,222

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Jan 1, 2014 2:24 pm

Surprise to see Gay playing well for the Kings.
McPrezy
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#6 » by McPrezy » Wed Jan 1, 2014 8:03 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Surprise to see Gay playing well for the Kings.

lol, playing well?? Kings have worst record with him than without, while Raptors have better.
He is a scrub.
BestNDaWorld27
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by BestNDaWorld27 » Wed Jan 1, 2014 9:09 pm

TheIdiotGamer wrote:Wow, I looked it up and ever since jason got here, there have been 63 other players for the kings, damn, that must be tough getting used to your team then no one is left the next season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but the real reason why JT has been around this long with the Kings is because of his length (at 6'11) and work ethic. The average, non athletic Thompson never complain his role( he has played SF, PF and Center...whether as a starter or bench warmer). He never diss his teammates or coaches..He's a prime example of blue collar worker. Just play for 30 to 40mins and collect his annual check of $5 mill/yr...Not bad from the former ghetto Camden, NJ resident.
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#8 » by Pukovnik » Wed Jan 1, 2014 9:11 pm

The only team that had Gay playing well was Memphis because back then Lionel Hollins new how to handle him, how to find his role on the team. With Raptors and with Kings, Gay is being handed the ball regularly and basically he holds it way to long and just ends the plays himself.
BestNDaWorld27
Ballboy

Post#9 » by BestNDaWorld27 » Wed Jan 1, 2014 9:15 pm

McPrezy wrote:

lol, playing well?? Kings have worst record with him than without, while Raptors have better.
He is a scrub.

------------------------------------

Yeah, Rudy Gay is a scrub in your opinion because he doesn't like playing for your cold freezing Toronto team.
At least our scrub is averaging 25 PPG...we'll that...he's better thant the 4 scrubs that we dumped on your team, who cant play a lick. Thanks Toronto, we have become a better team with Rudy. I have feeling that we will be in the playoff next year...
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#10 » by ADoaN17 » Wed Jan 1, 2014 10:22 pm

Pukovnik wrote:The only team that had Gay playing well was Memphis because back then Lionel Hollins new how to handle him, how to find his role on the team. With Raptors and with Kings, Gay is being handed the ball regularly and basically he holds it way to long and just ends the plays himself.

Have you watch any Kings game with Gay yet? Gay has not done that at all and has fit well within the offense without forcing shots. The Kings offense has improved with Gay and is not a problem. Defense is the Kings real problem...
Gay was the #1 option in Toronto so he could do whatever he wanted. In Sac, Cousins is the clear #1 guy and Gay/Thomas are 2 a/b.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#11 » by Rhythm043 » Wed Jan 1, 2014 10:30 pm

BestNDaWorld27 wrote:
McPrezy wrote:

He is a scrub.

Yeah, Rudy Gay is a scrub in your opinion because he doesn't like playing for your cold freezing Toronto team.
At least our scrub is averaging 25 PPG...we'll that...he's better thant the 4 scrubs that we dumped on your team, who cant play a lick. Thanks Toronto, we have become a better team with Rudy. I have feeling that we will be in the playoff next year...

What a real dumb comment. All the players Toronto received in the trade has made the team better.

Sure he didn't like playing for a cold weather team. Dude here just makes things up. Lmao. Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray didnt want to leave to go down to Sacramento. Watch the reaction when the news is heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Y3Ck#t=591[/YouTube]

You can have that Rudy Gay 25 ppg scorer buddy. Kings are on the hook for that insane contract, enjoy.

Anyway, I think the whole point of the article was how dysfunctional the Kings have been over the last 7 years. Jason Thompson needs to get out of that situation. Kid needs to go somewhere else and see what its like.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#12 » by Slim_Charles » Wed Jan 1, 2014 10:56 pm

BestNDaWorld27 wrote:
McPrezy wrote:

He is a scrub.

Rudy Gay is averaging 18 3 and 3 with the Kings... I don't know where you got 25ppg from...
sacphil_08
Ballboy

Post#13 » by sacphil_08 » Wed Jan 1, 2014 11:47 pm

Rhythm043 wrote:
BestNDaWorld27 wrote:
McPrezy wrote:lol, playing well?? Kings have worst record with him than without, while Raptors have better.
He is a scrub.

What a real dumb comment. All the players Toronto received in the trade has made the team better.

Sure he didn't like playing for a cold weather team. Dude here just makes things up. Lmao. Quincy Acy and Aaron Gray didnt want to leave to go down to Sacramento. Watch the reaction when the news is heard:

You can have that Rudy Gay 25 ppg scorer buddy. Kings are on the hook for that insane contract, enjoy.

Anyway, I think the whole point of the article was how dysfunctional the Kings have been over the last 7 years. Jason Thompson needs to get out of that situation. Kid needs to go somewhere else and see what its like.

Gay is putting up 20 ppg, 2 apg, and 5 rpg on 48% shooting, so your evaluation of him as a scrub is far from the truth. We have a worse record because we play in the west against much better competition and are a young team trying to put it together. The raptors play in the mighty East where only 3 teams have a record over .500. We are 'on the hook' to either deal a massive expiring contract next year or even get him to opt out and work on another deal that pays him considerably less. No matter how you look at it, your raptors are the only scrubs in this situation, wanting to deal their best player for nothing (first Gay and now Lowry). Good luck tanking this year. Maybe you can convince Adam Silver to give you the first pick and make Wiggins the first pick like I'm sure everyone in Toronto is hoping for.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#14 » by The Watcher » Thu Jan 2, 2014 1:00 am

sacphil_08 wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:
BestNDaWorld27 wrote:------------------------------------

Gay is putting up 20 ppg, 2 apg, and 5 rpg on 48% shooting, so your evaluation of him as a scrub is far from the truth. We have a worse record because we play in the west against much better competition and are a young team trying to put it together. The raptors play in the mighty East where only 3 teams have a record over .500. We are 'on the hook' to either deal a massive expiring contract next year or even get him to opt out and work on another deal that pays him considerably less. No matter how you look at it, your raptors are the only scrubs in this situation, wanting to deal their best player for nothing (first Gay and now Lowry). Good luck tanking this year. Maybe you can convince Adam Silver to give you the first pick and make Wiggins the first pick like I'm sure everyone in Toronto is hoping for.

You are delusional in more ways than one.

1) Rudy Gay will not continue to shoot 48% - he's a chucker, and thats why the Raptors got rid of him. Enjoy the 38% shooting on at least 25 shots a game, it'll happen sooner or later (law of averages).

2) Regardless of East/West conference records, the Raptors are probably going to finish in the top 4 and secure homecourt advantage, and they are truly playing like a team. They are NOT tanking and have a couple of great young assets to build around (Valanciunas, DeRozan, Ross) and a core of capable veterans (Lowry, Johnson, Hanesborough, and now Salmons, Vasquez, and Patterson). They will be favourites to make it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs (and you "never know" once you get a couple rounds into the playoffs), somewhere the Kings havent been since Shaq called them the Queens.

3) Toronto is really not that cold, it has the same climate as NYC and you never hear anybody saying they dont wanna play in New York because of climate. Toronto is also the 4th largest city in North America, and only ignorant Americans dont give it the credit it deserves as a world-class city. In a way, thats cool because we dont really want ignorant American tourists visiting anyhow.
BestNDaWorld27
Ballboy

Post#15 » by BestNDaWorld27 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 1:35 am

The Watcher wrote:
sacphil_08 wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:

1) Rudy Gay will not continue to shoot 48% - he's a chucker, and thats why the Raptors got rid of him. Enjoy the 38% shooting on at least 25 shots a game, it'll happen sooner or later (law of averages).

2) Regardless of East/West conference records, the Raptors are probably going to finish in the top 4 and secure homecourt advantage, and they are truly playing like a team. They are NOT tanking and have a couple of great young assets to build around (Valanciunas, DeRozan, Ross) and a core of capable veterans (Lowry, Johnson, Hanesborough, and now Salmons, Vasquez, and Patterson). They will be favourites to make it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs (and you "never know" once you get a couple rounds into the playoffs), somewhere the Kings havent been since Shaq called them the Queens.

3) Toronto is really not that cold, it has the same climate as NYC and you never hear anybody saying they dont wanna play in New York because of climate. Toronto is also the 4th largest city in North America, and only ignorant Americans dont give it the credit it deserves as a world-class city. In a way, thats cool because we dont really want ignorant American tourists visiting anyhow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What stupid, nonsense response. Rudy probably boned your wife and that's why you have this hater's comment.

1) Rudy is not a chucker when playing with the Kings. Maybe with Toronto. He average 25 PPG with the Kings. He made the game easy and he helped ease up the workload of Thomas and Cousins.

2) You are delusional raptor bandwagon fan...Toronto will be eliminated in the 1st rd, if they even make it to the playoff, they are inexperience and inconsistent. Salmons, Hayes, and Vasquez are trash except Patterson. Toronto has been trying to trade Derozan, but no takers or Ujiri's greedy offer is just too much to handle for some teams.
3) You are delusional or uneducated. Toronto is not the same temperature as NYC. Toronto is -20 degrees below NYC temp. When you look at the map, Toronto is on way up North of Michigan (the coldest part of the United States since it's in the path of the Arctic Blast coming from the North Pole)...I looked it up and did my diligent research. Only criminals, immigrants, and mentally ill Canadians enjoy living up there...

Go back to school, kid...
The Watcher
Senior

Post#16 » by The Watcher » Thu Jan 2, 2014 2:01 am

BestNDaWorld27 wrote:
The Watcher wrote:
sacphil_08 wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What stupid, nonsense response. Rudy probably boned your wife and that's why you have this hater's comment.

1) Rudy is not a chucker when playing with the Kings. Maybe with Toronto. He average 25 PPG with the Kings. He made the game easy and he helped ease up the workload of Thomas and Cousins.

2) You are delusional raptor bandwagon fan...Toronto will be eliminated in the 1st rd, if they even make it to the playoff, they are inexperience and inconsistent. Salmons, Hayes, and Vasquez are trash except Patterson. Toronto has been trying to trade Derozan, but no takers or Ujiri's greedy offer is just too much to handle for some teams.
3) You are delusional or uneducated. Toronto is not the same temperature as NYC. Toronto is -20 degrees below NYC temp. When you look at the map, Toronto is on way up North of Michigan (the coldest part of the United States since it's in the path of the Arctic Blast coming from the North Pole)...I looked it up and did my diligent research. Only criminals, immigrants, and mentally ill Canadians enjoy living up there...

Go back to school, kid...

Haha! If this post wasn't so rediculous I'd be offended. Instead I just feel sorry for you and place all of the blame for your failings on a poorly-funded educational system and a lack of sound parenting.

- My wife has never met Rudy Gay, and if she did, she'd tell him to start passing to his teamates

- Rudy is not averaging 25ppg since the trade, look it up

- The Raptors are not trying to trade Demar. They just aren't. Refer to this article, which is good except for the talk about the Raptors trading for Reggie Jackson:

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/23 ... ir-Rebuild

- Toronto is East of Michigan, and you clearly don't know anything about climate (or maps). Don't lie about doing research, it only makes you look dumber to the people who do actually know what they are talking about.

- I put no stock in your xenophobic and ignorant comment about immigrants (or people who suffer from mental retardation), as clearly you have your own personal prejudices to deal with. And clearly I should not get offended by somebody from California (the home of the drive-by and the police chase) talking about criminality in Toronto, that's just funny.

Put down the gun and pick up a book, for chrissakes.
decu21
Banned User
And1: 315

Post#17 » by decu21 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 3:33 am

lets keep it real, the deal made both team better imo, same as the carmelo deal, both teams benefit from the trade. rudy is a tremendous talent with the right system he could produce
sacphil_08
Ballboy

Post#18 » by sacphil_08 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:03 am

The Watcher wrote:
sacphil_08 wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:

Obviously you're just a bitter fan that expected him to take you to the next level with a player almost identical to him in Derozan and a **** supporting cast outside of Lowry. You obviously don't watch any games he played as he is picking his spots very well. This we will just wait and see about. Second round of the playoffs is out of the question so try again. The Raps wish to be where the kings once were since they've literally never done better than a second round out.

I never said anything about cold weather. Let it go. I could care less about the weather there. I just know that Toronto doesn't and has never been an attractive place for players to play unless they overpay. Good luck with that and trying to get Wiggins.

There is no 'regardless' of conference. There are teams over .500 in the west not in the playoff picture right now. I bet the wins of West vs East is probably 2:1 if not more. Also if you paid any attention to what is going on with 'your team' you'd realize that tanking is the plan. Ujiri has traded Gay and bargs, and is looking to trade Lowry for picks and expiring contracts. Not equal talent. He wants Vasquez to be the starting PG so you can be as bad as the Hornets were last year when he started for them. Casey has been asked plenty of times about the obvious tanking job Ujiri is trying to do.
The Watcher
Senior

Post#19 » by The Watcher » Thu Jan 2, 2014 5:37 pm

sacphil_08 wrote:
The Watcher wrote:
sacphil_08 wrote:

Obviously you're just a bitter fan that expected him to take you to the next level with a player almost identical to him in Derozan and a **** supporting cast outside of Lowry. You obviously don't watch any games he played as he is picking his spots very well. This we will just wait and see about. Second round of the playoffs is out of the question so try again. The Raps wish to be where the kings once were since they've literally never done better than a second round out.

I never said anything about cold weather. Let it go. I could care less about the weather there. I just know that Toronto doesn't and has never been an attractive place for players to play unless they overpay. Good luck with that and trying to get Wiggins.

There is no 'regardless' of conference. There are teams over .500 in the west not in the playoff picture right now. I bet the wins of West vs East is probably 2:1 if not more. Also if you paid any attention to what is going on with 'your team' you'd realize that tanking is the plan. Ujiri has traded Gay and bargs, and is looking to trade Lowry for picks and expiring contracts. Not equal talent. He wants Vasquez to be the starting PG so you can be as bad as the Hornets were last year when he started for them. Casey has been asked plenty of times about the obvious tanking job Ujiri is trying to do.

Umm... the Raptors have won 9 of their last 12 and just beat Indiana last night, after beating Oaklahoma City on the road last week. We will almost certainly have home-court advantage in the playoffs. Remind me again how that resembles tanking?

You're right, we didn't have a supporting cast, but the Kings helped us with that one. Thank you for Pat Patterson!

I have no more patience to argue with Kings fans - the franchise (and it's fans) are a lost cause. Good luck with your season.

Return to Wiretap Discussion