Shaw Still Willing To Bring Back Miller If He Accepts Role

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Shaw Still Willing To Bring Back Miller If He Accepts Role 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:33 pm

Brian Shaw reiterated he is willing to coach anyone on the Denver Nuggets as long as the player buys into the team's role system, and Andre Miller has a slim chance to return to the bench at some point, according to a source.

"I'm willing to coach anybody on our roster that's willing to play and do what the best thing is for the team, whatever role that is," Shaw said. "And so right now he...is dealing with what he wants to do. But in the process, my concern is what's best for the Denver Nuggets and right now that is continuing with the guys that are here right now and just looking ahead to our next opponent and what we need to do to prepare for that."

Miller yelled at Shaw during a game on Jan. 1, and the coach regretted not letting the veteran guard know about plans to reduce his role. Shaw believes the Nuggets, winners of their past four games, have been "able to rally around" Miller's absence.

"My decision was made to change the rotation, to reduce the rotation at that point," Shaw said. "The only thing I would have done differently is probably would have gone to him beforehand and said that 'I've shortened the rotation and now you're on the outside, looking-in. Other than that, I made that decision based on where the team was and what I thought was best for the team. Unfortunately, it led to the situation we're in now."

Via Christopher Dempsey/Denver Post

jps78
Junior
And1: 183

Re: Shaw Still Willing To Bring Back Miller If He Accepts Ro 

Post#2 » by jps78 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:39 pm

This situation is a mess. Miller just has to be traded at this point. Get something in return for him, the warriors could use him or even trade him to the kings. It's pretty clear on what has to be done here.
StickAndMove
Junior
And1: 14

Post#3 » by StickAndMove » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Shaw made a very bad mistake by not informing Andre of his sudden reduction in playing time. Miller didn't handle it well, either. It's probably best if they part ways. I'd like to see Andre get a ring anyway, and that's not happening in Denver.
Stuckey Stuckey! Five Dolla!
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#4 » by NashtyNas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:38 pm

StickAndMove wrote:Shaw made a very bad mistake by not informing Andre of his sudden reduction in playing time. Miller didn't handle it well, either. It's probably best if they part ways. I'd like to see Andre get a ring anyway, and that's not happening in Denver.

You think? Shaw is a rookie, he has no idea what's going on. You'd think this guy would be a far better coach considering who he was around for his entire career. He may improve over time, at least he admitted he handled the situation in a terrible manner. Miller has been a professional everywhere he's gone, and with the situation in mind, it was important for Shaw to let Andre know his plans BEFORE implementing them. Sure, Miller could have handled it in a more positive manner, but what do you expect when you do that to a guy who's been playing for so long without any concerns, regardless of where he'd been playing.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
brownsmith89
Senior
And1: 120

Post#5 » by brownsmith89 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:34 am

I_Socrates wrote:You'd think this guy would be a far better coach considering who he was around for his entire career.

i didn't think so from the start. he wasn't doing well in interviews, and he's soft-spoken. he was also just a role player without any competitive fire.

you can put a small guy like gary coleman next to phil jackson and pat riley for 10 years.. that doesn't mean gary coleman is suddenly head coach material.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#6 » by inquisitive » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 am

It's ok to reduce his role, but man, that 329 game streak was lost for nothing really...could've given him at least 1 minute and then take him out.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
themeccamsg
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by themeccamsg » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:58 am

inquisitive wrote:It's ok to reduce his role, but man, that 329 game streak was lost for nothing really...could've given him at least 1 minute and then take him out.

If Shaw lets him play for the sake of a silly record, what kind of accountability does that show? If he does this for Miller, every other player will start demanding playing time for their 100th game, 25th 3-pt attempt, 500th turnover, monthiversary of popping a cherry, etc. etc., until every player plays every game and does whatever they want because the coach needs to honor their records or achievements.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#8 » by inquisitive » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:54 pm

themeccamsg wrote:
inquisitive wrote:It's ok to reduce his role, but man, that 329 game streak was lost for nothing really...could've given him at least 1 minute and then take him out.

If Shaw lets him play for the sake of a silly record, what kind of accountability does that show? If he does this for Miller, every other player will start demanding playing time for their 100th game, 25th 3-pt attempt, 500th turnover, monthiversary of popping a cherry, etc. etc., until every player plays every game and does whatever they want because the coach needs to honor their records or achievements.

Nah...not every player has played 15 yrs and achieved a streak like that, so you're wrong on that. I haven't really watched all the Nuggets games, but unless he was really pathetic, there is no reason for him to not be out there for a least a couple of minutes.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#9 » by MGrand15 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:54 am

StickAndMove wrote:Shaw made a very bad mistake by not informing Andre of his sudden reduction in playing time. Miller didn't handle it well, either. It's probably best if they part ways. I'd like to see Andre get a ring anyway, and that's not happening in Denver.

It really confuses me that coaches can't go up to players like this and talk to them about a change in role. It's not like the coach is dealing with 50+ players like an NFL team. It's 12-15 guys. It would take 2 minutes to talk to Andre about the change. It's not just Shaw either. Seems to be common practice among coaches. D'Antoni is excellent at benching players and not warning them beforehand.

Return to Wiretap Discussion