Kevin Durant: MVP Conversation 'Premature' Right Now

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant: MVP Conversation 'Premature' Right Now 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Kevin Durant received "MVP" chants during his career-high 54-point performance on national TV Friday night against the Golden State Warriors, but the Oklahoma City Thunder star is not focusing on potentially winning the award.

“It’s premature,” Durant said. “It’s still early in the season. I try not to think about that type of stuff. Of course, as a player, you would love to win the MVP award. But I can’t think about that. I can’t take my focus off the team.

"Every day I got to just keep chipping away and keep enjoying the process and we’ll see what happens.”

In his seventh NBA season, Durant is putting up career-high stats across most major categories. He has averaged 30.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 5 assists.

LeBron James and Durant are viewed as the leading candidates as the NBA's MVP this season, with players such as Paul George and LaMarcus Aldridge in the mix.

Via Darnell Mayberry/The Oklahoman

airaaron32
Senior
And1: 773

Re: Kevin Durant: MVP Conversation 'Premature' Right Now 

Post#2 » by airaaron32 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Hes going to have a 60+ point game this season. Just watch.
Thomps
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Thomps » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:34 pm

I really hope Durant finally gets his much deserved MVP award this season.

Every OKC / Golden State game has just been fantastic this season as well. Definitely my favourite match up to watch.
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#4 » by Whopper_Sr » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:11 pm

What's up with all this hype about Paul George? Stephenson and Hibbert are just as valuable to the Pacers.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#5 » by CHAMPi0N » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 pm

There is absolutely NO DOUBT that Kevin Durant has been top 2-3 MVP candidate in the past 3 to 5 years!!! That being said, you could make a case he's due for one by now, in his seventh year lol... Wow that doesn't sound right... 7 years and no MVP yet?

Just 1 thing though... If Lebron shoots over 60% this year, it's highly likely KD will get snubbed again lol
OlSchoolOlFool
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#6 » by OlSchoolOlFool » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:10 pm

This is the first year in his career that Durant has been more valuable to his team than LeBron has. He'd get my vote if the season ended today.
themeccamsg
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by themeccamsg » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:08 pm

Whopper_Sr wrote:What's up with all this hype about Paul George? Stephenson and Hibbert are just as valuable to the Pacers.

Stephenson and HIbbert are good players for sure, but I would definitely say George has elevated them to another level.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,854

Post#8 » by nikster » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 pm

themeccamsg wrote:
Whopper_Sr wrote:What's up with all this hype about Paul George? Stephenson and Hibbert are just as valuable to the Pacers.

Stephenson and HIbbert are good players for sure, but I would definitely say George has elevated them to another level.

How? Hibbert actually shoots a low percentage for a big. His impact is on defense and the glass, which George does not affect. And he is the anchor for their league-best defense.
SteveNizzy
Junior
And1: 8

Post#9 » by SteveNizzy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:43 pm

KD KD KD thats all I'm seeing this season, if KD does not get the MVP Award,then its all about popularity smh
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#10 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:54 am

imo he deserves it, he's been flatout amazing this year he's about to hit 31/8/5 with a chance at the 50/40/90 club and doing it while taking 20 shots a game. he'd get my vote as of now
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
mswenson
Banned User
And1: 147

Post#11 » by mswenson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:59 am

aldridge deserves it more. thunder had a better record last year and everyone knew this team would be good. durant is just a soft player that is cuddled by the refs. if anyone is the mvp of the thunder it is westbrook. durant barely has a winning record without him
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#12 » by ybnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:47 am

Lebron and KD are equally valuable to their own team every year...They are both the best players on the two best teams in the league...two teams so good that they still would probably make the playoffs without their guy, but get swept in the first round....overall Lebron puts up better numbers...but Kevin Durant has to deal with Westbrook so I say give it to him this year
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#13 » by your boy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:25 am

ybnd wrote:Lebron and KD are equally valuable to their own team every year...They are both the best players on the two best teams in the league...two teams so good that they still would probably make the playoffs without their guy, but get swept in the first round....overall Lebron puts up better numbers...but Kevin Durant has to deal with Westbrook so I say give it to him this year

Has to deal with Westbrook being hurt?
your boy
Banned User

Post#14 » by your boy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:26 am

Hahahahahahahahahaha omg hahahahahahahahahaha
JimBeanz
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#15 » by JimBeanz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 am

ybnd wrote:Lebron and KD are equally valuable to their own team every year...They are both the best players on the two best teams in the league...two teams so good that they still would probably make the playoffs without their guy, but get swept in the first round....overall Lebron puts up better numbers...but Kevin Durant has to deal with Westbrook so I say give it to him this year

Remember that Wade has been injured too (Wade has missed 10 games, Westbrook has missed 15). At the moment I would say Durant has had better numbers, but as Durant says, it's still early. Still another 42 games to go.
ybnd
Senior

Post#16 » by ybnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:11 am

your boy wrote:

Has to deal with him being hurt...has to deal with his antics...and has to deal with a shoot first pass second point guard...Durant deserves an MVP this...no way he is going to slow down
ybnd
Senior

Post#17 » by ybnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:12 am

JimBeanz wrote:

Remember that Wade has been injured too (Wade has missed 10 games, Westbrook has missed 15). At the moment I would say Durant has had better numbers, but as Durant says, it's still early. Still another 42 games to go.

LEBRONS GOING LAKERS SO HE CAN SCORE 50 A GAME FOR MIKE D
your boy
Banned User

Post#18 » by your boy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:14 am

ybnd wrote:
your boy wrote:

Has to deal with him being hurt...has to deal with his antics...and has to deal with a shoot first pass second point guard...Durant deserves an MVP this...no way he is going to slow down

Westbrook makes the thunder soooo much better. They're a decent team without him sure but not a title contender
ybnd
Senior

Post#19 » by ybnd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:28 am

your boy wrote:
ybnd wrote:
your boy wrote:

Westbrook makes the thunder soooo much better. They're a decent team without him sure but not a title contender

They are a title contender as long as Durant is on the floor because he is capable of dropping 100......there is 10 players that could better fit into that system....It isn't going to last much longer...Westbrook will be gone soon enough
your boy
Banned User

Post#20 » by your boy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 am

ybnd wrote:
your boy wrote:
ybnd wrote:

They are a title contender as long as Durant is on the floor because he is capable of dropping 100......there is 10 players that could better fit into that system....It isn't going to last much longer...Westbrook will be gone soon enough

Umm did you see the thunder in the playoffs last year? They have no chance at a title without Westbrook.

Return to Wiretap Discussion