Wizards Want To Sign Marcin Gortat Long-Term

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wizards Want To Sign Marcin Gortat Long-Term 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:38 pm

The Washington Wizards would like to sign Marcin Gortat to a long-term deal and see doing so as a priority.

Gortat was acquired by the Wizards before the start of the season.

The Wizards could sign Gortat to an extension before June 30, but it would be more advantageous for him to wait.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Wizards Want To Sign Marcin Gortat Long-Term 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 pm

As long as he has a passing PG to feed him easy dunk/layup attempts he will be a good C.
devinbrady
Junior
And1: 145

Post#3 » by devinbrady » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:04 pm

A solid big in a league with very few good centers.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:13 pm

I think he stepped his game up last year, and has proven to be a reliable C. Give him the long term $$.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:28 pm

how about 50M for 4 years?
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#6 » by IMAN5 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:As long as he has a passing PG to feed him easy dunk/layup attempts he will be a good C.

Yup. Nash made him look godly.
instagram.com/510movement
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#7 » by ybnd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:09 pm

50 mil for 4 years???? you **** kidding me? pay the guy 6 mil a year like hes actually worth
JWallConnect
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#8 » by JWallConnect » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Please no
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#9 » by RaptorRed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 pm

It's like the Wizards are doing everything possible to be stuck in mediocrity. WHy sign a 30 year old long term ? Why bring in 30 year old Nene who is already on a long term contract and is way overpaid ? Without Nene and Gortat the wizards would suck this year , would have a core of Wall , Beal , Porter + 2014 lottery pick and free agent money. THey would be set for years to come ! Sigh , another team ending their rebuild a year too early and will be stuck in mediocrity(see Bobcats , Pelicans, Pistons)
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
ybnd
Senior

Post#10 » by ybnd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:35 pm

RaptorRed wrote:It's like the Wizards are doing everything possible to be stuck in mediocrity. WHy sign a 30 year old long term ? Why bring in 30 year old Nene who is already on a long term contract and is way overpaid ? Without Nene and Gortat the wizards would suck this year , would have a core of Wall , Beal , Porter + 2014 lottery pick and free agent money. THey would be set for years to come ! Sigh , another team ending their rebuild a year too early and will be stuck in mediocrity(see Bobcats , Pelicans, Pistons)

The Pistons are gonna be a great team soon enough
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,334

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:56 pm

devinbrady wrote:A solid big in a league with very few good centers.

There a some really solid Centers in the league right now...

1. Dwight
2. Cousins
3. Duncan
4. M. Gasol
5. Hibbert
6. Noah
7. Horford
8. Jefferson
9. Pekovic
10. B.Lopez
11. Drummond
12. Jordan
13. Vucevic
14. P. Gasol
15. Chandler

I think most if not all teams teams would take those 15 guys over Gortat. Hes on the same level as:
1. Hawes
2. Varaejo
3. R. Lopez
4. Bogut
5. Larry Sanders

Then there are the younger guys that havent gotten the minutes/opportunity
1. Valancunius
2. Henson
3. Kanter
4. Mozgov
5. Splitter
6. Koufos
7. Asik

Do these guys count as Centers?
1. Greg Monroe
2. Chris Bosh
3. JJ Hickson
4. Aldridge
5. Anthony Davis

At best Gortat is an average starting Center but I think its easier to argue him as a below average (16-30) then it as above average (1-14). I think I would rank him anywhere between 20-25 right now considering everything.

I would give him no more then 4/32. I would be weary of giving him that long of a deal but hes a solid C and you want to hold on to them so who knows.
Go Knicks!
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#12 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:58 pm

ybnd wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:It's like the Wizards are doing everything possible to be stuck in mediocrity. WHy sign a 30 year old long term ? Why bring in 30 year old Nene who is already on a long term contract and is way overpaid ? Without Nene and Gortat the wizards would suck this year , would have a core of Wall , Beal , Porter + 2014 lottery pick and free agent money. THey would be set for years to come ! Sigh , another team ending their rebuild a year too early and will be stuck in mediocrity(see Bobcats , Pelicans, Pistons)

Really? Great team? You must use the term 'great', much more loosely than I do.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#13 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:59 pm

50M for 4 years? :roll:

Wouldn't pay him more then 30M for 4 years... and the last year should be a team option
ybnd
Senior

Post#14 » by ybnd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm

xBulletproof wrote:
ybnd wrote:

You just do not see the potential that I see in them...by this time next year they will be fighting for the top seed in the east...They have all the right parts in place...young center that rebounds and defends...a legit scorer...6th man...Josh Smith to defend Lebron
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#15 » by thegreenlife » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

ybnd wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:
ybnd wrote:

You just do not see the potential that I see in them...by this time next year they will be fighting for the top seed in the east...They have all the right parts in place...young center that rebounds and defends...a legit scorer...6th man...Josh Smith to defend Lebron

Unless Josh Smith somehow miraculously becomes a wet 3 point shooter and Jennings stops chucking shots, it's hard to see the Pistons being anything more than a mediocre team
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#16 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
devinbrady wrote:A solid big in a league with very few good centers.

There a some really solid Centers in the league right now...

1. Dwight
2. Cousins
3. Duncan
4. M. Gasol
5. Hibbert
6. Noah
7. Horford
8. Jefferson
9. Pekovic
10. B.Lopez
11. Drummond
12. Jordan
13. Vucevic
14. P. Gasol
15. Chandler

I think most if not all teams teams would take those 15 guys over Gortat. Hes on the same level as:
1. Hawes
2. Varaejo
3. R. Lopez
4. Bogut
5. Larry Sanders

Then there are the younger guys that havent gotten the minutes/opportunity
1. Valancunius
2. Henson
3. Kanter
4. Mozgov
5. Splitter
6. Koufos
7. Asik

Do these guys count as Centers?
1. Greg Monroe
2. Chris Bosh
3. JJ Hickson
4. Aldridge
5. Anthony Davis

At best Gortat is an average starting Center but I think its easier to argue him as a below average (16-30) then it as above average (1-14). I think I would rank him anywhere between 20-25 right now considering everything.

I would give him no more then 4/32. I would be weary of giving him that long of a deal but hes a solid C and you want to hold on to them so who knows.

In the beginning of the season, I was upset about the Warriors giving Bogut the long term contract considering Gortat will be a free agent after this season. Now that Bogut is healthy and really hope he continues to be this way if possible, Gortat is not on the same level as Bogut. He single handily makes the Warriors better with his defense alone. Anything he brings offensively is just icing on the cake. Back to Gortat and I don't want to get off topic, I think he is a good piece for the Wizards and I think they should resign him, but not overpaid for him. Maybe at 3 years $30 mil considering how overpaid the centers are in the NBA now-a-days.
ybnd
Senior

Post#17 » by ybnd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Smith shouldnt ever even take a 3 pointer unless he is wide open...Jennings needs to shoot....He has the Allen Iverson Effect....Drummond at Center Smith at PF all they need is a SF who can legit shoot the 3...Jennings gets hated on for chucking up shots but it is not as bad as people make it out to be....the dude can score the ball period....They just need some time to play and put everything together...Next year at this time they will be a top 4 team in the east
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#18 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:03 pm

ybnd wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:
ybnd wrote:

I don't see any team with Jennings and Smith being a contender for the top seed. They're 2 of the most inconsistent and often terrible offensive players a team can have. Joining forces on the same team they're a one team wrecking crew, far too often, their own team.

EDIT* Did you really just defend Jennings offense? The guy has shot over 40% one year in his career. He's absolutely terrible. You have to be a Pistons fan.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#19 » by RaptorRed » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 pm

ybnd wrote:Smith shouldnt ever even take a 3 pointer unless he is wide open...Jennings needs to shoot....He has the Allen Iverson Effect....Drummond at Center Smith at PF all they need is a SF who can legit shoot the 3...Jennings gets hated on for chucking up shots but it is not as bad as people make it out to be....the dude can score the ball period....They just need some time to play and put everything together...Next year at this time they will be a top 4 team in the east

Please don't mention Jennings and Iverson in the same sentence ever again.

And come on seriously ? They can't even make the top-8 in a wide open eastern conference.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#20 » by CHAMPi0N » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:34 pm

If Washington doesn't give him the big money, someone else will in the off-season. True centers (physical guys that protect the rim) are a coveted rare commodity in today's NBA

Return to Wiretap Discussion