Wade Focused On Big Picture With Decision To Come Off Bench

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wade Focused On Big Picture With Decision To Come Off Bench 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Dwyane Wade's health is the biggest question lingering for the Miami Heat as they attempt to stave off the Indiana Pacers and a strong Western Conference to win their third straight NBA championship.

Wade came off the bench for the first time in 483 games on Sunday.

"The reality of it is you got to wait and see," Wade said after scoring eight points in 23 minutes during a 113-101 victory over the Spurs. "I'm not going to make a bigger deal of it than it is and I'm going to act like it's nothing. …People could think what they want. I'm continuing to work to make sure I'm at my best when I can be."

Wade has missed 12 games this season due to his knee.

"Look, I understand that everybody is going to use this as a lightning-rod subject to talk about for the next three days," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. "Nothing is set in stone the rest of the year. We're going to evaluate everything day to day. We need Dwyane healthy."

Wade has been resting for nine days and told Spoelstra he preferred coming off the bench.

"This team has been in a rhythm," Wade said. "I didn't want to mess that up."

The Heat may have difficult catching the Pacers for the top seed, but they won't need Wade much to remain as the No. 2.

"I'm not having to force things," Wade said. "I live under my own umbrella. I do things that make me happy and what's best for my team. I don't worry about forcing things right now. I got a bigger picture in mind and that's all I'm focused on right now."

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Wade Focused On Big Picture With Decision To Come Off Be 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Like many other players in the league, knee problems have slowed him down significantly. He is nearing the end of his career - I just hope he has enough left in the tank for this and next season to see if they can get another ring. Great player, great competitive spirit. Not to mention, a nastyyy nastyyy dunker ("Welcome to YOUR Kodak moment - Anderson Varajeo!" - Reggie Miller):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSA_Di2vliU
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,072

Post#3 » by tidho » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Why they haven't shut this guy down until about a month before the playoffs is beyond me. What's the worst that would happen....they finish 3rd in the East?

A healthy Wade = a championship.
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#4 » by Dolphin Lips » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm

tidho wrote:Why they haven't shut this guy down until about a month before the playoffs is beyond me. What's the worst that would happen....they finish 3rd in the East?

"I live under my own umbrella"-- How can you argue with that? Lol, coming from a Knick fan, anyone' management is better than ours if they feel its beneficial to get rhythm with their team than go for it, but I agree- shut him down until April (maybe they are scared LeBron will log too many minutes???)
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#5 » by CHAMPi0N » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 am

Dolphin Lips wrote:
tidho wrote:Why they haven't shut this guy down until about a month before the playoffs is beyond me. What's the worst that would happen....they finish 3rd in the East?

"I live under my own umbrella"-- How can you argue with that? Lol, coming from a Knick fan, anyone' management is better than ours if they feel its beneficial to get rhythm with their team than go for it, but I agree- shut him down until April (maybe they are scared LeBron will log too many minutes???)

We're seeing the issues a 3-man team like the Heat is forced to overcome to succeed... An aging star (even though D Wade is young, his knees are old) drains so much out of the other 2 main guys that it becomes a grind for everyone else. Lebron is not really the biggest concern, because of his track record... but even think about guys like Allen, Battier, Lewis, Anderson... they really can't play big minutes on a nightly basis without it taking a toll on their bodies.

Wade being hurt early in the year has forced the rest of the team to push themselves harder. It is adversity to overcome, but something that might hurt their dynasty long-term.
Circ
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Circ » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:45 am

CHAMPi0N wrote:
We're seeing the issues a 3-man team like the Heat is forced to overcome to succeed... An aging star (even though D Wade is young, his knees are old) drains so much out of the other 2 main guys that it becomes a grind for everyone else. Lebron is not really the biggest concern, because of his track record... but even think about guys like Allen, Battier, Lewis, Anderson... they really can't play big minutes on a nightly basis without it taking a toll on their bodies.

Wade being hurt early in the year has forced the rest of the team to push themselves harder. It is adversity to overcome, but something that might hurt their dynasty long-term.

Wade is young? He's 32.

Anyway, I agree with you're general sentiment. While it's tough for the old guys, I think it's been great for Bosh. He's been playing really well lately, almost like he's a raptor again. Considering that Bosh is thought to be the player most likely to leave this summer, it's really good for him to being having a great season heading into free agency.
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#7 » by Gannet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:28 am

He needs to cut his playing weight by 20-30 pounds. Will probably do wonders for his knee. For a 6'3 1/2 guy, he really doesn't need to be 220-230 pounds.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 am

There is no way wade is opting out of his contract after the season. If he's smart he will collect his cheques on his max deal for the next two seasons as he plays limited minutes on the heat. Wade should take into consideration how chronic knees issues either ended or diminished the career of 3 superstars this decade in Andrew Bynum, Amare Stoudemire and Gilbert Arenas. derrick Rose maybe the fourth and he was a former mvp. There has been seasons where each of the three above mentioned players had played better than wade. If Wade opts out I highly doubt the heat or any other team would give him a fully guaranteed max deal. The heat are going to have huge issues keeping this team together especially if they don't win a title next season. Teams will be lining up to poach Lebron James and Chris Bosh by offering them full max contracts. I also think the heat should be more concerned with their record not because of the pacers who I think they still can beat as currently constructed but because of the team that ultimately wins the west. People seem to forget that the finals format has changed to the same as other playoff series so it will be crucial for the heat to win one of the first two away games in the series to steal homecourt. Also what if they have to play another game 7 but instead on the thuder or spurs homecourt?
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#9 » by crazymaso » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 am

Sam195 wrote:There is no way wade is opting out of his contract after the season. If he's smart he will collect his cheques on his max deal for the next two seasons as he plays limited minutes on the heat. Wade should take into consideration how chronic knees issues either ended or diminished the career of 3 superstars this decade in Andrew Bynum, Amare Stoudemire and Gilbert Arenas. derrick Rose maybe the fourth and he was a former mvp. There has been seasons where each of the three above mentioned players had played better than wade. If Wade opts out I highly doubt the heat or any other team would give him a fully guaranteed max deal. The heat are going to have huge issues keeping this team together especially if they don't win a title next season. Teams will be lining up to poach Lebron James and Chris Bosh by offering them full max contracts. I also think the heat should be more concerned with their record not because of the pacers who I think they still can beat as currently constructed but because of the team that ultimately wins the west. People seem to forget that the finals format has changed to the same as other playoff series so it will be crucial for the heat to win one of the first two away games in the series to steal homecourt. Also what if they have to play another game 7 but instead on the thuder or spurs homecourt?

Not trying to be rude here - but what does D. Wade's contract and opting out have to do with this article?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#10 » by Sam195 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:43 am

crazymaso wrote:
Sam195 wrote:There is no way wade is opting out of his contract after the season. If he's smart he will collect his cheques on his max deal for the next two seasons as he plays limited minutes on the heat. Wade should take into consideration how chronic knees issues either ended or diminished the career of 3 superstars this decade in Andrew Bynum, Amare Stoudemire and Gilbert Arenas. derrick Rose maybe the fourth and he was a former mvp. There has been seasons where each of the three above mentioned players had played better than wade. If Wade opts out I highly doubt the heat or any other team would give him a fully guaranteed max deal. The heat are going to have huge issues keeping this team together especially if they don't win a title next season. Teams will be lining up to poach Lebron James and Chris Bosh by offering them full max contracts. I also think the heat should be more concerned with their record not because of the pacers who I think they still can beat as currently constructed but because of the team that ultimately wins the west. People seem to forget that the finals format has changed to the same as other playoff series so it will be crucial for the heat to win one of the first two away games in the series to steal homecourt. Also what if they have to play another game 7 but instead on the thuder or spurs homecourt?

Not trying to be rude here - but what does D. Wade's contract and opting out have to do with this article?

Well the fact he's missing a substantial amount of games during a contract year because of his knees is a key point. Also if wade opts into his deal and the heat resign bosh and lebron to new max deals as well as pay the repeater tax - it's not going to be worthwhile for micky arison to keep the team together cause its presence just burns a lot of money in his pocket. Heat even after the big 3 have been losing money the last couple of years because of the luxury tax and lack of subsidies from the city of miami to operate their arena. These circumstances are very similar to how jerry reinsdorf broke up michael jordan's bulls because he didn't want to keep a team that didn't turn a profit or provided significant financial losses.

Return to Wiretap Discussion