Passed Over For Rising Stars Challenge, McLemore Looks To Build

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Passed Over For Rising Stars Challenge, McLemore Looks To Build  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Feb 8, 2014 2:15 am

Ben McLemore wasn’t asked to participate in the Rising Stars Challenge at this year’s All-Star weekend, but will still be in New Orleans as part of the Slam Dunk Contest.

McLemore, who is averaging 7.7 points and 2.7 rebounds in 23.4 minutes per game in his rookie season with the Sacramento Kings, will team up with Damian Lillard and Harrison Barnes as part of the contest’s new format. They will face off against the East, who will be represented by Paul George, Terrence Ross and John Wall.

"I'm still thinking. I’m still trying to figure out different things I want to do,” McLemore said when asked what he might have up his sleeve. "I want to go out there and just perform.”

The only preview McLemore would reveal was that he plans to put together an aerial display rather than a series of power dunks.

"A little bit of [aerodynamic and high leaping]. I’m definitely a high flyer," he said. "I can get high. I just want to show my athleticism out there on the floor and bring a lot of excitement."

The new format brings a different feel to the event as there won’t be a traditional champion, but rather a winning team. An informal champion will be tabbed via fan vote. Things will kick off with a "freestyle” round, featuring 90 seconds of each conference dunking as much as they want. Many are expecting coordination among the players.

“We'll see once I get to New Orleans, what Dame and Harrison are looking to do,” McLemore said about putting together a group routine. "We will probably coordinate with each other and win it. We’ll represent for our team.”

McLemore is looking to raise his profile in New Orleans, especially since the Dunk Contest garners more attention than the Rising Stars Challenge.

"This is a great opportunity for me to build my brand, to go out there for All-Star weekend,” he said. "I’ve just been trying to do what’s best to represent me and the Sacramento Kings.”

It has been a few years since the St. Louis native participated in this type of event. He last won a dunk contest during an exhibition in Hawaii while at Oak Hill Academy. We won’t see a mano-a-mano final round this year, but the lack of an individual award doesn’t bother McLemore.

"It's a team thing, he said. "The fans will vote for who had the best dunk of the night, but I’ll still try to go out there and bring a lot of excitement. I’ll be looking for oohhs and aahhs. You still want to be on the team that wins.

"It’s cool being able to say it’s something I experienced. Being selected for the dunk contest, I think, is even better. I’m happy for the opportunity I have right now.”

Via Andrew Perna/RealGM

MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Re: Passed Over For Rising Stars Challenge, McLemore Looks T 

Post#2 » by MinneOOPalis » Sat Feb 8, 2014 3:17 am

I love this kid. Elite athletiscm and shooting mechanics.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#3 » by sweetcity » Sat Feb 8, 2014 3:21 am

T Ross is a better dunker, shooter, and defender. Glad we have him!
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#4 » by SichtingLives » Sat Feb 8, 2014 3:50 am

Like every word he said except the part about "building his brand". You're not a corporation man, you're a basketball player. Just dunk and don't worry about it. You build your brand during actual competition anyway.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#5 » by PDX_DL0 » Sat Feb 8, 2014 4:12 am

lol wtf?! East vs West... It could be West+East vs Ross with all pts totalled and T-Ross would still win
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012
Chaos Engine
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#6 » by Chaos Engine » Sat Feb 8, 2014 4:21 am

Too many young players worried about their brand.
samjones
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#7 » by samjones » Sat Feb 8, 2014 4:55 am

Next is the haircut... what what
6moomoo6
Pro Prospect
And1: 995

Post#8 » by 6moomoo6 » Sat Feb 8, 2014 9:27 am

Why don't these kids worry about actually being good first being worrying about their "brand".
Saintsteven
Junior
And1: 549

Post#9 » by Saintsteven » Sat Feb 8, 2014 9:50 am

His brand is basically 'not Anthony Bennett' which is the best brand he could hope for since he has been bust-like himself but is lucky to be drafted in such a terrible class.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#10 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat Feb 8, 2014 11:18 am

I think he is a good guy, but when you are shooting 36% as a rookie you should be worried about building your game, not your "brand".
jizzme
Junior
And1: 23

Post#11 » by jizzme » Sat Feb 8, 2014 12:56 pm

its really stupid they keep changing the format. no one knows which version of the dunk contest theres going to be....nba allstar game has gone down into toilets just like the other sports. a lot of it probably has to do with selfish overpaid egotistical owners, teams, and players
knicks universe = MECCAMSG
jshow34
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#12 » by jshow34 » Sat Feb 8, 2014 1:04 pm

Build your band? LOL Pathetic

He was a bit exposed in the tourny last year and really struggled with tight d and shooting the basketball. To me he's just an average, athletic guard. Dime a dozen.
Captain Tsubasa
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#13 » by Captain Tsubasa » Sat Feb 8, 2014 1:57 pm

building your brand? how about playing better for your team? that's how all the great players build their brand. he has been a mediocre rookie at best this season, and the only thing that matters is his brand? man... no wonder ppl trash basketball
Mr_President
Senior
And1: 285

Post#14 » by Mr_President » Sat Feb 8, 2014 3:16 pm

jshow34 wrote:Build your band? LOL Pathetic

He was a bit exposed in the tourny last year and really struggled with tight d and shooting the basketball. To me he's just an average, athletic guard. Dime a dozen.

Winsome Gerbil wrote:I think he is a good guy, but when you are shooting 36% as a rookie you should be worried about building your game, not your "brand".

The elitism you sit behind your computers with. Note in this regard, Mclemore is no different than many in high-level career's capitalizing on the advantages of building their own professional brand around competencies and the value they add to their field. Similarly In basketball, "Building you Brand" is associated with such things as winning, spectacular plays, and what you bring to your team. What an major opportunity on the national stage Mclemore would be squandering if he didn't seize this opportunity to "Build his Brand?" Good thing, McLemore is showing us the right mindset heading into this event.

P.S.- Of course he can stand to raise his FG%, tell me the last rookie who couldn't stand to raise their FG% after their rookie year. That point has nothing to do with NBA All-Star Dunk Contest.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#15 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Feb 8, 2014 6:56 pm

its the dunk contest - the one place you're definitely allowed, and even encouraged, to build your brand
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#16 » by The Watcher » Sat Feb 8, 2014 8:16 pm

Sakuragi_ wrote:I love this kid. Elite athletiscm and shooting mechanics.

Way off, he is NOT a good shooter
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#17 » by MinneOOPalis » Sat Feb 8, 2014 9:55 pm

The Watcher wrote:

He will be. Just needs time.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#18 » by The Watcher » Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:40 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:
The Watcher wrote:

He will be. Just needs time.

Hey, I am not pretending to know how to predict the future, but I think you're wrong: he's never been a good shooter, and probably never will be. Only time will tell, but I wouldnt put money on it.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#19 » by CHAMPi0N » Sun Feb 9, 2014 6:56 am

lol I think the best way to build your brand is to produce when given minutes. I don't think he's done that this year.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#20 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 7:17 pm

Jermey Evans is a better choice than Harrison Barnes...I honestly would have taken Derrick Williams funny ass (see in game self ally oop) over McLemore.

Return to Wiretap Discussion