Rockets Believe Shoring Defensive Rebounding Will Make Defense Elite

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rockets Believe Shoring Defensive Rebounding Will Make Defense Elite 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:17 pm

The Houston Rockets have given up 14.7 second chance points per game this season, which ranks second-worst in the NBA behind the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Rockets have given up just 7.3 per game during their three-game road trip and believe shoring up defensive rebound is the area is the only issue holding back the defense.

“That’s the only thing stopping our defense from being elite,” Chandler Parsons said. “You have to have understanding of time and place. You have to understand when to go (on a fast break) and when not to go.

“We knew defensive rebounding was a problem so we focused, watched film and fixed it.”

Via Jonathan Feigen/Houston Chronicle

Stolen Team Fan
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Re: Rockets Believe Shoring Defensive Rebounding Will Make D 

Post#2 » by Stolen Team Fan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 pm

Did Howard come up with Thumb-Up-Butt Disease while I wasn't looking? He's one of the best rebounders in the league. What is he doing in this situation? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't caught many Rockets games as of late.
I move around so much, I've just decided to start rooting for everybody.
Except the Heat.
Alex I Be
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#3 » by Alex I Be » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Butthurt Laker fans errrwhere!!!!
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#4 » by MaxRider » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Stolen Team Fan wrote:Did Howard come up with Thumb-Up-Butt Disease while I wasn't looking? He's one of the best rebounders in the league. What is he doing in this situation? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't caught many Rockets games as of late.

because 2-3 rockets run the other way as soon as the see the shot not going in
and howard can't always grab the rebound when is him vs 3 others
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#5 » by LordBaldric » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Sounds like a perfect place for Mr. Kevin Love.
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#6 » by Reverse_Angle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 pm

Asik will help with that immensely.

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
T-mac_1_175
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#7 » by T-mac_1_175 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:45 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Sounds like a perfect place for Mr. Kevin Love.

This....Houston will have cap space of around $15mil next year too after Lin and Asik's deals expire....
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#8 » by nikster » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Stolen Team Fan wrote:Did Howard come up with Thumb-Up-Butt Disease while I wasn't looking? He's one of the best rebounders in the league. What is he doing in this situation? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't caught many Rockets games as of late.

hes averaging 12.5 boards a game
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#9 » by texasholdem » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Usually this is what happens: Dwight goes to block the shot. The shot misses off the rim or backboard. Dwight's teammates fail to get defensive rebound or even block out in some cases. Opponent grabs offensive rebound and scores.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#10 » by 15th overall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 pm

LordBaldric wrote:Sounds like a perfect place for Mr. Kevin Love.

Of course, because when one thinks of elite defenses, the first name that comes to mind is Kevin Love.

(just being a smartass, please don't dignify this with a response)
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 am

Morey is gonna go hard after both chris bosh and lebron james this offseason if their ufas. He can offer asik and lin in a sign and trade to miami in order to offer the max deal either player desires. If heat aren't willing to accommodate a sign and trade, I'm sure morey will have a line-up of teams willing to absorb lin and asiks contracts for cap relief and second round picks like he did this trade deadline. Than he will use the cap space to poach the player more willing to leave the heat. I think Bosh will go to the rockets if the heat expect him to take some ridiculous discount. He's also from texas and was the rockets top free agent target in 2010 free agency when they didn't have cap space and were pitching sign and trade offers to the raptors. Bosh is actually a great rebounder, look back at his raptors days. He's only averaging 7 with the heat because lebron and wade are two of the top rebounding wing players in the league.
Secret Lover14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,419

Post#12 » by Secret Lover14 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 am

James Harden is preventing Houston from being elite
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#13 » by Pedro » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:15 am

texasholdem wrote:

Usually this is what happens: Dwight goes to block the shot. The shot misses off the rim or backboard. Dwight's teammates fail to get defensive rebound or even block out in some cases. Opponent grabs offensive rebound and scores.

I strongly disagree with this theory. Howard gets a vast majority of his rebounds on offense and no-pressure segments in the game. When a game is close, he tends to get timid and doesnt fight for rebounds or on defense. He has one speed all the time which helps him in an average game speed but not in clutch or clinching moments. He's a choker and the games ultimate garbage player. Coward truly is an interesting enigma.
Pedro
Senior

Post#14 » by Pedro » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:22 am

Sam195 wrote:Morey is gonna go hard after both chris bosh and lebron james this offseason if their ufas. He can offer asik and lin in a sign and trade to miami in order to offer the max deal either player desires. If heat aren't willing to accommodate a sign and trade, I'm sure morey will have a line-up of teams willing to absorb lin and asiks contracts for cap relief and second round picks like he did this trade deadline. Than he will use the cap space to poach the player more willing to leave the heat. I think Bosh will go to the rockets if the heat expect him to take some ridiculous discount. He's also from texas and was the rockets top free agent target in 2010 free agency when they didn't have cap space and were pitching sign and trade offers to the raptors. Bosh is actually a great rebounder, look back at his raptors days. He's only averaging 7 with the heat because lebron and wade are two of the top rebounding wing players in the league.

This is a massive pipe dream. First of all, Lebron will not leave Miami. If for some odd reason he would, a team would have to trade an absurd amount of players and picks and Pat Riley would have no interest in a player like Lin. Bosh makes much more sense as a target. He's become virtually non-existent in the post and has over-acquiesced to Lebron & Wade to the point where he's forgotten how to fight in the post. So he could continue to play more on the wings and perimeter.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#15 » by malgus » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 am

They have Asik and Dwight Freaking Howard how can their rebounding suck?
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#16 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:10 am

Alex I Be wrote:Butthurt Laker fans errrwhere!!!!

Laker haters errwhere! :lol: :lol: :lol:
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#17 » by luss54321 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 am

They need to play at a slower pace.

Being a good defensive rebounding team isn't all about personnel, it's about style of play. Commit more players to the defensive boards and less players to the fast break
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#18 » by BallerTalk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 am

Pedro wrote:I strongly disagree with this theory. Howard gets a vast majority of his rebounds on offense and no-pressure segments in the game. When a game is close, he tends to get timid and doesnt fight for rebounds or on defense. He has one speed all the time which helps him in an average game speed but not in clutch or clinching moments. He's a choker and the games ultimate garbage player. Coward truly is an interesting enigma.

Wow, such interesting and overwhelmingly unbiased analysis.
The juvenile name calling was an especially nice touch. It really highlighted your objectivity.

Alex I Be wrote:Butthurt Laker fans errrwhere!!!!

errr...damn...where!
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Pedro
Senior

Post#19 » by Pedro » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:40 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
Pedro wrote:I strongly disagree with this theory. Howard gets a vast majority of his rebounds on offense and no-pressure segments in the game. When a game is close, he tends to get timid and doesnt fight for rebounds or on defense. He has one speed all the time which helps him in an average game speed but not in clutch or clinching moments. He's a choker and the games ultimate garbage player. Coward truly is an interesting enigma.

Wow, such interesting and overwhelmingly unbiased analysis.
The juvenile name calling was an especially nice touch. It really highlighted your objectivity.

My points are valid and legitimate. He is a choker because he does not ever positively close a game out. All my aforementioned reasons qualify him as a "garbage player" which is a relatively common phrase in the basketball world. And Coward is a common nickname for him. Hence, no name calling was made. If you choose to comment, know what you comment about.

Return to Wiretap Discussion