Silver: No Reason To Believe PEDs Are Widespread Issue In NBA

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Silver: No Reason To Believe PEDs Are Widespread Issue In NBA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:06 pm

Adam Silver was asked about the potential use of performance-enhancing drugs in the NBA and said he does not believe it is a problem.

"I have no reason to believe the use of PEDs are widespread in the NBA," Silver said.

The NBA has recently discussed testing for human growth hormone.

Via Howard Beck/Bleacher Report

chrstnbnc
Freshman
And1: 43

Re: Silver: No Reason To Believe PEDs Are Widespread Issue I 

Post#2 » by chrstnbnc » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:28 pm

Lebron and Wade's jawline would like to disagree with the commissioner.
Captain Tsubasa
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#3 » by Captain Tsubasa » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:29 pm

dont wanna stir up anything or accuse NBA players, but wouldnt it make even more sense to juice in the NBA, than in the MLB if you wanna become a better player?
dkjjr
Junior
And1: 17

Post#4 » by dkjjr » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:34 pm

chrstnbnc wrote:Lebron and Wade's jawline would like to disagree with the commissioner.

...what?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,106

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:37 pm

no PEDs here
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#6 » by artsncrafts » Sat Mar 1, 2014 7:48 pm

lol " No Reason to Believe PEDs are used" OKAY silver
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
cleat76
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#7 » by cleat76 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:06 pm

Didn't he say the same thing about Tanking recently?
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#8 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:35 pm

I know people hate when I say this, but I think they keep it covered, cause if people found out that guys like Michael Jordan used, they would freak out and the brand would be tarnished. I mean put the connection together. MJ played baseball during baseballs PED era, he went from long langley dude to a bulky head freak athlete, and were talking about a guy who desperately wanted to play baseball, who would do anything to make a team. I am just saying, I believe MJ was on PED's, not solid proof, just conjuncture.

But if you look in Looney Tunes movie, Jordan has "Michael's Secret Stuff" that has the connotation that MJ uses Performance Enhancements Drugs.

You can tell Karl Malone never took PED's because he is a weight training beast, and to this day is just as healthy as he was when he played. I would say cause he went bald that he is likely user of PED's and because he is also a freak athlete, but usually when young PED users turn 50, they look like Arnold or Stallone, and Karl Malone looks nothing like that....but MJ does.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,445

Post#9 » by mtcan » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:39 pm

Silver also said that tanking isn't an issue in the NBA. Bryan Colangelo has something to say about this...
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#10 » by BloodyNose » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:45 pm

Captain Tsubasa wrote:dont wanna stir up anything or accuse NBA players, but wouldnt it make even more sense to juice in the NBA, than in the MLB if you wanna become a better player?

I don't see how. Usings PEDS isn't going to make you a better shooter, or a smarter player. In the MLB these guys already have amazing hand eye coordination(which directly results in points in baseball), so the really good players are able to crush the ball when they make contact like they've never done before.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#11 » by JV4MVP » Sat Mar 1, 2014 8:55 pm

BloodyNose wrote:
Captain Tsubasa wrote:dont wanna stir up anything or accuse NBA players, but wouldnt it make even more sense to juice in the NBA, than in the MLB if you wanna become a better player?

I don't see how. Usings PEDS isn't going to make you a better shooter, or a smarter player. In the MLB these guys already have amazing hand eye coordination(which directly results in points in baseball), so the really good players are able to crush the ball when they make contact like they've never done before.

- Stronger (improves shooting range, post up offense/defense, rebounding)
- Faster
- Improves Stamina (Stronger legs help with shooting late in the game, improves overall intensity, raises minutes)
- Decreases healing time from injury
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#12 » by zronv7 » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:17 pm

this guy is high as fck, lmao. 90% of them are on some kind of peds
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#13 » by Leto » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:30 pm

A couple of points: Silver said there was no evidence for tanking last week and this week Colangelo said he tried to tank while with the Raptors. Secondly, "widespread use" isn't really the issue. Its ANY use whatsoever because its called CHEATING. Having said that, we already know players are juicing, Adam.
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 740

Post#14 » by kacey ring » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:40 pm

What else were we expecting him to say at this point?

Let the test results speak for itself when the league starts testing.
BloodyNose
Banned User
And1: 2,255

Post#15 » by BloodyNose » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:40 pm

I would take PED's if i were on the cusp of making it to the nba.
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#16 » by thegreenlife » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:45 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:I know people hate when I say this, but I think they keep it covered, cause if people found out that guys like Michael Jordan used, they would freak out and the brand would be tarnished. I mean put the connection together. MJ played baseball during baseballs PED era, he went from long langley dude to a bulky head freak athlete, and were talking about a guy who desperately wanted to play baseball, who would do anything to make a team. I am just saying, I believe MJ was on PED's, not solid proof, just conjuncture.

But if you look in Looney Tunes movie, Jordan has "Michael's Secret Stuff" that has the connotation that MJ uses Performance Enhancements Drugs.

You can tell Karl Malone never took PED's because he is a weight training beast, and to this day is just as healthy as he was when he played. I would say cause he went bald that he is likely user of PED's and because he is also a freak athlete, but usually when young PED users turn 50, they look like Arnold or Stallone, and Karl Malone looks nothing like that....but MJ does.

No kidding MJ looks his age- he doesn't eat right or work out anymore.
staticcc
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#17 » by staticcc » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:58 pm

How? Your wrist suddenly performs better and you'll be able to shoot with more accuracy?
staticcc
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#18 » by staticcc » Sat Mar 1, 2014 9:59 pm

JV4MVP wrote:
BloodyNose wrote:

- Stronger (improves shooting range, post up offense/defense, rebounding)
- Faster
- Improves Stamina (Stronger legs help with shooting late in the game, improves overall intensity, raises minutes)
- Decreases healing time from injury

If this is the case, shouldn't PEDs be legal ? So everyone can use it and the sport will be better off?
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#19 » by WhatsaTDot » Sat Mar 1, 2014 11:05 pm

It's like Mr Magoo is in charge.

"No tanking here."

"No PEDS either."

This place is insufferable.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#20 » by Shem » Sat Mar 1, 2014 11:22 pm

I think I can recall a time when Bud Selig said the same thing about baseball. Then later Jose Canseco wrote a book and that set off a chain of events that reduced PED's in baseball. It's not perfect, but it's better than it was.

All the NBA needs is a guy who was in the know like Canseco to write a book to call out some of the PED players, especially star players and the same thing will happen like it did in baseball. But until that happens, it will be ignored like baseball did until it couldn't anymore.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas

Return to Wiretap Discussion