Thunder To Rest Russell Westbrook In Back-To-Backs To End Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Thunder To Rest Russell Westbrook In Back-To-Backs To End Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Russell Westbrook will rest in some, if not all, of the Oklahoma City Thunder's six back-to-back sets to close the final month of the season.

Westbrook is also playing with a minutes restriction.

“There’s going to be some back-to-backs he’s not going to play,” Scott Brooks said. “We definitely have a plan in place.”

Westbrook has looked increasingly stronger since his return from another knee surgery.

“His conditioning is great,” Brooks added. “We just want to get some time, while we still can, where he can rest in between games.”

Via Anthony Slater/The Oklahoman

JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Re: Thunder To Rest Russell Westbrook In Back-To-Backs To En 

Post#2 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:32 am

Does NBA have offical rules on "resting players"?!

I know anyone can say "he is hurt", but is there guidelines to how much a player has to sit when "cleared or healthy"? Because when it comes to the smaller markets, a good portion of income comes from All-Stars filling the seats and drawing in fans who normally wouldn't come. I ask, cause I remember that coach got fined like 500k for not taking his 3 main players on the road.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#3 » by CHAMPi0N » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:51 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:Does NBA have offical rules on "resting players"?!

I know anyone can say "he is hurt", but is there guidelines to how much a player has to sit when "cleared or healthy"? Because when it comes to the smaller markets, a good portion of income comes from All-Stars filling the seats and drawing in fans who normally wouldn't come. I ask, cause I remember that coach got fined like 500k for not taking his 3 main players on the road.

You're probably referring to when Coach Pop was fined for resting Manu, Parker and Duncan in the middle of the season. Yeah, that game was nationally televised as well - that's why the fine was really enforced IMO.

We see this every year, good teams rest their best players, especially against **** (and usually small market) teams. There is no policy against it, and if Silver were to even consider it, that would be foolish. Front offices want all the stars to be able to play in the playoffs, where even more money is on the line.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#4 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:47 am

CHAMPi0N wrote:

You're probably referring to when Coach Pop was fined for resting Manu, Parker and Duncan in the middle of the season. Yeah, that game was nationally televised as well - that's why the fine was really enforced IMO.

We see this every year, good teams rest their best players, especially against **** (and usually small market) teams. There is no policy against it, and if Silver were to even consider it, that would be foolish. Front offices want all the stars to be able to play in the playoffs, where even more money is on the line.

It was a 4th game in 5 fights and the Heat were coming off 3 days off... it was an F U to the NBA by Pop... and thus they fined him depite the fact that he had done it before various times.
phoster_
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#5 » by phoster_ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
CHAMPi0N wrote:

It was a 4th game in 5 fights and the Heat were coming off 3 days off... it was an F U to the NBA by Pop... and thus they fined him depite the fact that he had done it before various times.
Moral of the story... Never "F U" the boss.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,839

Post#6 » by nikster » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
CHAMPi0N wrote:

He's rested players before, but never like that. Sitting your 3 best players, who werent dealing with any injuries, in a nationally televised game in the middle of a season is a bit extreme

Return to Wiretap Discussion