Gerald Green: Time Away From NBA Changed Career

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Gerald Green: Time Away From NBA Changed Career 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

After finding himself without an NBA job in 2009, Gerald Green played two seasons in Russia and another in China before signing with the Brooklyn Nets in 2012, and his immaturity was replaced by humility.

“When you go places in life that you think you’ll never go, you change a little bit,” he said. “You mature a lot faster. I knew something had to change. It either was going to be me or I wasn’t going to be back in the league. That made it an easy decision for me to change. Two years ago, I was nowhere to be found. Now I’m older, more mature, understand that this is not a hobby, this is a job.”

Green proved himself with the Nets for the Indiana Pacers to sign him to a three-year deal.

“I’ve been through a lot and used to take things for granted,” said Green, now 28. “Ever since I’ve come back into the league, I’ve always taken it like this is my second opportunity to prove myself that I should be in this league. I haven’t done anything yet.”

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

quwestlove
Ballboy
And1: 9

Re: Gerald Green: Time Away From NBA Changed Career 

Post#2 » by quwestlove » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:29 pm

I never thought I would see the day that this kid wouldn't make me cringe when he dribbled or shot the ball. Nice to see him doing well.
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#3 » by PDX_DL0 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWc2PY9q4c[/youtube]

It's always nice seeing players starting to reach their potential
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#4 » by Fresh360Waves » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Honestly thought this guy was done in the NBA and wasn't gonna pan out. Glad to see that he worked on his game and he is back in the NBA.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#5 » by PrecociousNeoph » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:22 pm

i sensed this when he first re-appeared in the NBA, he just seemed a lot more mature and you could see it in his play which was more patient, he wasn't celebrating after every basket and all that stuff, good for him
“Bye, Felicia.”
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#6 » by ybnd » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:53 pm

I wanna say I remember Geralds first basket in his first pre season....Baseline one handed left handed slam I think...He got me all excited...straight out of high school and he was missing half a finger from his sister slamming his hand in a door....I was thinking.....only 4 fingers and he can slam like that!! damn! Green in green!!!!!
AlphaMagnus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by AlphaMagnus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Happy to see it click for a young immensely talented player like Green. Far too many times you hear sad stories about kids who never get the chance to really become great (Lenny Cooke!!) but good to see Green turn the corner. I'm rooting for ya Kid!!
crackrocks
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#8 » by crackrocks » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 pm

ybnd wrote:I wanna say I remember Geralds first basket in his first pre season....Baseline one handed left handed slam I think...He got me all excited...straight out of high school and he was missing half a finger from his sister slamming his hand in a door....I was thinking.....only 4 fingers and he can slam like that!! damn! Green in green!!!!!

That's not how he lost the part of his finger though. He was playing ball with a ring on when he was little and got caught in the net or something like that.
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#9 » by ybnd » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:27 am

crackrocks wrote:
ybnd wrote:I wanna say I remember Geralds first basket in his first pre season....Baseline one handed left handed slam I think...He got me all excited...straight out of high school and he was missing half a finger from his sister slamming his hand in a door....I was thinking.....only 4 fingers and he can slam like that!! damn! Green in green!!!!!

That's not how he lost the part of his finger though. He was playing ball with a ring on when he was little and got caught in the net or something like that.

I thought his older sister shut it in a door....maybe not though
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#10 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Classic case of someone who came out to early but I'm glad it worked out for him. I thought he had all the tools to become a star when he came out but I forgot to analyze one of the most important ones, behavior and mental makeup. He wasn't ready mentally yet when he came out.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#11 » by Donnyxc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Glad he worked it out.

He's now one of the most exciting players to watch on the break.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
NY Knicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 275

Post#12 » by NY Knicka » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm

The Knicks should trade Shumpert to China

Return to Wiretap Discussion