Shaun Livingston To Prioritize Long-Term Stability Over Less Lucrative Deals In Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Shaun Livingston To Prioritize Long-Term Stability Over Less Lucrative Deals In Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 am

Shaun Livingston is grateful to the Brooklyn Nets, Jason Kidd and the system that has contributed to his career season, and the veteran guard understands he could accept a more lucrative deal in free agency instead of a lesser offer from the Nets.

“(My enjoyment with Brooklyn and how I fit) definitely plays a factor. You have to weigh your situations, your options. The reason I’m in a situation where I can demand a contract is because I’m playing for this team, this coach, this system,” he said. “I realize that and I’m not over my head. But at the same time, it’s a business. You have to look at it like (the next contract) could always be your last.

“Especially me.”

Livingston, who suffered a significant knee injury in 2007 that nearly ended his career, is posting career-highs this season in minutes (25.3), points (7.9), rebounds (3.0) and steals (1.22).

Livingston has heard the worries from Nets fans about the team possibly losing him in free agency. The Nets can’t go over the cap to sign Livingston because they don’t own his Bird Rights. He might command more than the three-year, $10 million they can offer him.

“Everybody wants to be wanted. Hell, yeah it feels good with everything I’ve been through,” he said. “It’s better than hearing, ‘Get him out of here.’ It’s like an opposite situation for me.”

“(Free agency) will be different. I had one year (in 2010 when he signed a two-year deal, $7 million deal with the Bobcats) where it was like, okay, a little bit (of hype), but it’s not the same as this. Not even close,” he said. “I don’t even know what to expect. My thing has been no expectations."

Via Stefan Bondy/New York Daily News

johnnystamos
Sophomore
And1: 16

Re: Shaun Livingston To Prioritize Long-Term Stability Over  

Post#2 » by johnnystamos » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 am

This could be the dumbest headline in RealGm history.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,039

Post#3 » by Jester_ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm

The title doesn't match the article at all
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
MaxZaslofskyJr
Rookie
And1: 669
Location: Teaneck, Long Island, Piscataway, Meadowlands, Newark, Brooklyn

Post#4 » by MaxZaslofskyJr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Really bad title.
Les Selvage pioneered today's "modern basketball" in 1967.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#5 » by CHAMPi0N » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:40 pm

***over "MORE" lucrative deals...
Livingston has earned it... He deserves all that he can get. I wouldn't be mad if he chased a huge payday, because he is a true professional. The amount of work he has put in over the past 10 years is ridiculous, and he's suffered several setbacks along the way... How many comebacks can a guy make before leaving an impression lol
boren
Junior
And1: 266

Post#6 » by boren » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:24 pm

What's wrong with the title?
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#7 » by PDX_DL0 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:46 pm

glad to see him happy and healthy. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders, he'll be fine.
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012

Return to Wiretap Discussion