Brett Brown Believes 76ers' Draft Priority Should Be Best Player, Not Need

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Brett Brown Believes 76ers' Draft Priority Should Be Best Player, Not Need 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:11 am

Brett Brown discussed his draft strategy on Thursday and the path he believes he would take if he were in charge of deciding on the Philadelphia 76ers' upcoming lottery pick.

“I’m a best-player guy, then you figure it out,” Brown said. “Who knows? Everybody’s got different opinions. My opinion is you take the very best player and you figure it out.”

Brown understands the 76ers' front office could instead draft based on need. The 76ers appear set at point guard and center, with Michael Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel respectively.

“Best player, and you let them coexist. You figure it out. I think that’s normally the mindset,” Brown said. “If you get good people, it’ll all play out fine. My opinion, and that’s just Brett Brown speaking — I haven’t had any consultation with Sam or his staff, just my opinion — is you take the best player.”

Via Christopher A. Vito/Delaware County Daily Times

BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Re: Brett Brown Believes 76ers' Draft Priority Should Be Bes 

Post#2 » by BlzMwt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 am

does brett brown speaking in third person make brett brown feel like he isnt to blame for the sixers **** play?

and i completely understand the makeup of the team, lack of talent. I just believe a different coach could have gotten them a few more wins
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,861

Post#3 » by Mik317 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:40 am

BlzMwt wrote:does brett brown speaking in third person make brett brown feel like he isnt to blame for the sixers **** play?

and i completely understand the makeup of the team, lack of talent. I just believe a different coach could have gotten them a few more wins

you obviously haven't watched many games then (not that I blame you). Brown is a damn good coach and has gotten more wins out of the sorry talent than anyone else would have.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#4 » by Marty McFly » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:48 am

:lol: speaking in third person.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#5 » by agiaco » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 am

BlzMwt wrote:does brett brown speaking in third person make brett brown feel like he isnt to blame for the sixers **** play?

A few more wins is the last thing they need right now. Also, Brown is an excellent coach. Once he has a team in place he will be great.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#6 » by MRxBLACK » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 am

Most ignorant statement I've read in a long time.
ESPN Sucks
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#7 » by Fresh360Waves » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:09 am

It's a combination of both: best player and need. PG and PF are already set. Wiggins, Parker, Smart, and Embiid are clearly their targets.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#8 » by artsncrafts » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:13 am

They don't deserve a good player. Give them 4th pick and hope they screw up!
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#9 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:06 am

artsncrafts wrote:They don't deserve a good player. Give them 4th pick and hope they screw up!

Fourth pick would still be an obvious choice among the best available at this point. Don't understand the hate towards this team, prefer the Sixers intentionally sucking than other bottom dwellers unintentionally sucking.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,615

Post#10 » by Slacktard » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:42 am

lol. Take away Brett Brown and put an average coach in charge of the Sixers and the Bucks would have the 2nd worst record in the league with the Sixers having a 3 or 4 game lead on them.

Brown won the Sixers several games with key plays drawn up and run out of time-outs leading to either taking leads or cementing/clinching the game.

Doug Collins idea of drawing up a play was giving the ball to Evan Turner or Andre Iguodala and having them dribble and then throw up a shot with 2 secs left on the game or 24-sec clock.

Sam Hinkie had to dump Turner and Hawes for 2nd round picks just to make the team even more horrible just to handcuff Brown's coaching. The Sixers have 2 nba starters on their entire roster and possibly 2 role-players who might see 10-15 mins on an average team. The rest are guys who won't even be in the league.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#11 » by Donnyxc » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 pm

76ers don't need Embiid.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#12 » by Lapinski » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Donnyxc wrote:76ers don't need Embiid.

Embiid's back says so. He is an injury risk.
Roseventyfour
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Roseventyfour » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 pm

This line of thinking is why they suck.

Return to Wiretap Discussion