Joel Embiid To Declare For NBA Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Joel Embiid To Declare For NBA Draft 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Joel Embiid will declare for the 2014 NBA Draft.

Embiid is expected to compete with Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker for the first overall pick.

In the past week, Embiid has progressed in settling on agent representation, but no final decision has been made, sources said.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Joel Embiid To Declare For NBA Draft 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Wiggins and Embid are going 1 and 2 in this draft. Wiggins is the best perimeter defender in this draft and he has so much untapped offensive potential. Embid on the other hand seems like he will be more of a tyson chandler/joakim noah type defensive big that struggles on offense. Embid doesn't have a post game and doesn't look really eager to add one to his repertoire. I'm also hedging my bets on Jabari Parker staying at duke for a another season and being the consensus #1 pick in the 2015 nba draft.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#3 » by pylb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 pm

That's the right choice. Even if he falls a bit because of the injury, his stock is very much based on his potential right now, and if he didn't greatly improve next season in college, he would plummet down the boards.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Sam195 wrote:Wiggins and Embid are going 1 and 2 in this draft. Wiggins is the best perimeter defender in this draft and he has so much untapped offensive potential. Embid on the other hand seems like he will be more of a tyson chandler/joakim noah type defensive big that struggles on offense. Embid doesn't have a post game and doesn't look really eager to add one to his repertoire. I'm also hedging my bets on Jabari Parker staying at duke for a another season and being the consensus #1 pick in the 2015 nba draft.

I couldn't agree with you more.

To add: Embiid has only scored over 14 points in 3 games this season. He's young and I don't necessarily agree that he's not eager to add a post game, but he hasn't exhibited the offensive dominance against good teams. He scored 18, his collegiate high against Texas Tech.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#5 » by artsncrafts » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Good, I look forward to watching Embiid and Wiggins next year even if they are on horrible teams.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#6 » by Marty McFly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:27 pm

:cry:
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#7 » by MRxBLACK » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Sam195 wrote:Embid on the other hand seems like he will be more of a tyson chandler/joakim noah type defensive big that struggles on offense. Embid doesn't have a post game and doesn't look really eager to add one to his repertoire.

Embiid is 19 and has been playing basketball for like three years, and it sounds like you didn't watch any Kansas games this season based off your post game comments.
ESPN Sucks
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#8 » by sogood » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Sam195 wrote:Wiggins and Embid are going 1 and 2 in this draft. Wiggins is the best perimeter defender in this draft and he has so much untapped offensive potential. Embid on the other hand seems like he will be more of a tyson chandler/joakim noah type defensive big that struggles on offense. Embid doesn't have a post game and doesn't look really eager to add one to his repertoire. I'm also hedging my bets on Jabari Parker staying at duke for a another season and being the consensus #1 pick in the 2015 nba draft.

Seems like you're talking out of your ass on this one buddy.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#9 » by ImHeisenberg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Smart move for Embiid. Despite the benefits of remaining in school another year, his back injury likely scared the notion out of his mind. His draft stock couldn't be higher than it is right now.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#10 » by Blast Tyrant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm

First of all: Joakim Noah does NOT struggle on offense. Not sure where that came from.

Second of all: Embiid didn't struggle offensively at Kansas either. His passing is going to be top notch for a big man (much like Noah) and his ability to space the floor is going to be a huge bonus for his team on offense.
odb_
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by odb_ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Sam195 wrote:Embid doesn't have a post game and doesn't look really eager to add one to his repertoire.

Have you even watched him play? Or are you just talking out of your ass here
mhsiao
Rookie
And1: 206

Post#12 » by mhsiao » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Led Zeppelin wrote:First of all: Joakim Noah does NOT struggle on offense. Not sure where that came from.

Well as a bulls fan I can say that is due several reasons. First, Noah isn't traditional back to basket center. Second Noah's shooting form is ugly and strange. Third, Noah is usually view as energy type of player only. Forth Noah' offense is always shadowed by Rose.

Noah still doesn't have much of post move. (IMO bulls' best post offense player is Taj.), however he can hit good percentage at mid range with his tornado now and Noah is always at best when he received the ball at high post as he can dribble over most of center in the league and attack the basket or make a pass to cutting teammates.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#13 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 pm

It's very possible Wiggins and Embiid go #1 and #2 but you're WRONG about Embiid being a Chandler/Noah type of big man. His post game has a lot of potential. It's not fully there yet, but he has tons of room for improvement.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#14 » by d boy gentleman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jojo_embiid/status/449169978504142848[/tweet]
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
Captain Tsubasa
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#15 » by Captain Tsubasa » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 pm

"In the past week, Embiid has progressed in settling on agent representation, but no final decision has been made, sources said."

sounds like he still hasnt made his decision. i always find these logic errors in realgm articles. you're better than that...
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#16 » by agiaco » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:04 am

Captain Tsubasa wrote:"In the past week, Embiid has progressed in settling on agent representation, but no final decision has been made, sources said."

sounds like he still hasnt made his decision. i always find these logic errors in realgm articles. you're better than that...

Hasn't settled on which agent, not whether or not to declare.
Captain Tsubasa
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#17 » by Captain Tsubasa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:49 am

agiaco wrote:
Captain Tsubasa wrote:"In the past week, Embiid has progressed in settling on agent representation, but no final decision has been made, sources said."

Hasn't settled on which agent, not whether or not to declare.

true. my bad
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#18 » by dautjazz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:03 am

Bill Walton, Brad Daugherty and Ralph Sampson were all taken No. 1 overall in the NBA Draft and were all hampered by nagging back injuries. I'm getting a bad feeling about this kid already. I think you have to take Wiggins or Parker over Embiid right now. You don't wan't pull a Greg Oden over Durant. I guess with the #3 or 4 pick you take Embiid, unless you really just want a center, because in reality most of teams are not that strong at any position, so it should be BPA at #1 most of the time.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#19 » by Sam195 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am

dautjazz wrote:Bill Walton, Brad Daugherty and Ralph Sampson were all taken No. 1 overall in the NBA Draft and were all hampered by nagging back injuries. I'm getting a bad feeling about this kid already. I think you have to take Wiggins or Parker over Embiid right now. You don't wan't pull a Greg Oden over Durant. I guess with the #3 or 4 pick you take Embiid, unless you really just want a center, because in reality most of teams are not that strong at any position, so it should be BPA at #1 most of the time.

If I was a GM and had the #1 pick in this draft I'd take Wiggins over the field. Embid has back issues and parker has had serious foot injuries during high school (could turn to a brook lopez situation down the road). Dante Exum has a lot of question marks. Marcus Smart has motivation and character issues in some exec eyes. Julius Randle and noah vonleah's motors have been questioned. Wiggins on the other hand has a motor but lacks aggressiveness. But he has shown on more than one occasion that he can explode to help his team win. I'm pretty sure he can learn to be aggressive just look how paul george and tracy mcgrady changed after their first few seasons in the league.

Return to Wiretap Discussion