King: Nets Have System, Identity Under Kidd

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

King: Nets Have System, Identity Under Kidd 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:23 pm

While Jason Kidd seemed overmatched in his first few months as head coach, he figured it out shortly after the new year.

“I think some of the young guys have developed and the biggest thing with Jason is we have a system and identity,” Billy King said. “So now putting a team together, I know which players to add. That’s something we’ve been searching for for a while, is getting an identity so now in the offseason, Jason and I have already talked about the type of players he wants and have a feel for.

“That’s the key, you have a system. A lot of the credit, the players have played well, but Jason has been amazing. That one scout that took a shot at him early in the year, I wish he’d speak up now because it’s easy to criticize somebody when you have injuries, you have a new team, and you’re trying to put it together. Now, nobody’s saying how great of a job he’s done.

“A lot of success that we’re having is directly related to him.”

Kidd refuses to accept credit for the success.

“It’s a marathon and that’s the nice thing about the NBA season,” Kidd said. “You can be judged on the first game, but the ones who know best, you’re not judged until the end, and that’s when you look at our team. We’re a veteran ball club and no one in that locker room panicked. We kept playing. No one used any excuses. We kept getting to know one another from coaches to players, and we all felt that it could turn.

“We just had to keep working the process and that’s what guys did, and I don’t think we would like it any other way. I know it was tough there early on, but we understand what it feels like when things go bad so we can always reflect, and I think in the last couple of games, we’ve reflected and hopefully we’ve improved from those mistakes that we’ve made.”

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

IDBall
Pro Prospect
And1: 569

Re: King: Nets Have System, Identity Under Kidd 

Post#2 » by IDBall » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Props to Kidd for sticking through it. It definitely looked like he would't last in the first couple of months.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#3 » by God Squad » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Agreed. He def stuck it out and he's done a great job of late.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#4 » by RaptorRed » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 pm

You have a system ? Congrats you can play small ball , it's pretty hard to win anything signficant in the playoffs by playing small ball unless you have guys like Lebron James and Dwayne Wade.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#5 » by Knicks Universe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Good for Kidd, it looked like he was about to get fired and his coaching career would have been over. :D
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#6 » by DarkXaero » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:59 pm

RaptorRed wrote:You have a system ? Congrats you can play small ball , it's pretty hard to win anything signficant in the playoffs by playing small ball unless you have guys like Lebron James and Dwayne Wade.
Except it's not really small ball. The only small ball aspect of it is Paul Pierce at PF, and the Nets being a bad rebounding team. But other than that, they have big players at every position. 6'3" Deron at PG, 6' 7" Livingston at SG, 6'7" Joe Johnson (listed at 6'7" but looks even bigger), and 7' KG or Plumlee as center. To add to that, Nets defense forces a lot of switches to confuse teams, with each player guarding multiple positions over a game.

Return to Wiretap Discussion