Anthony Davis Has 'Some Dirk, KG, Hakeem' In His Game

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Anthony Davis Has 'Some Dirk, KG, Hakeem' In His Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 1, 2014 6:01 pm

Anthony Davis has had such a strong second and unique season in the NBA that comparisons to former players have almost entirely stopped.

“He’s his own player,” says Kevin Hanson, the Pelicans’ player development coach, who works closely with Davis. “He’s got some Dirk, some KG, and some Hakeem. I don’t think we’re even going to see what he really is for at least a couple of years.”

Davis ranks fourth in PER behind only LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kevin Love. Davis also has more defensive potential than any player to enter the NBA since Dwight Howard.

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

airaaron32
Senior
And1: 773

Re: Anthony Davis Has 'Some Dirk, KG, Hakeem' In His Game 

Post#2 » by airaaron32 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 6:47 pm

Definitely a future HOFer barring injury.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#3 » by malgus » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:12 pm

He also has 'some Michael Olowakandi, Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic' in his game.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#4 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:31 pm

We are getting WAY too ahead of ourselves here. Players who are compared to big stars at such a young age NEVER reach those heights. This is way too much pressure for him. I get this is the most exciting thing to happen to a small market franchise who doesn't really have a lot going for them, but Davis has a while to go before we can compare him even closely with KG and Hakeem, some all-time greats.
ratmrocks89
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#5 » by ratmrocks89 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:32 pm

he has no flaws in his game and is a hard worker. watching him play is something else...definitely a future HOF'er if he stays healthy.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#6 » by nikster » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:34 pm

malgus wrote:He also has 'some Michael Olowakandi, Kwame Brown and Darko Milicic' in his game.

hes having a historical season in just his 2nd year...
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#7 » by magicmerl » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:43 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:We are getting WAY too ahead of ourselves here. Players who are compared to big stars at such a young age NEVER reach those heights. This is way too much pressure for him. I get this is the most exciting thing to happen to a small market franchise who doesn't really have a lot going for them, but Davis has a while to go before we can compare him even closely with KG and Hakeem, some all-time greats.

Just like LeBron, right?
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#8 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:45 pm

magicmerl wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:We are getting WAY too ahead of ourselves here. Players who are compared to big stars at such a young age NEVER reach those heights. This is way too much pressure for him. I get this is the most exciting thing to happen to a small market franchise who doesn't really have a lot going for them, but Davis has a while to go before we can compare him even closely with KG and Hakeem, some all-time greats.

Just like LeBron, right?

What do you mean just like LeBron? Lebron has proven he is a star player being in the league for several years. There is no doubt he is talented. The only controversy with him is cheating by joining stars to win a championship, but there is no doubt he has won them and been big parts of them too.
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#9 » by magicmerl » Tue Apr 1, 2014 8:50 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:What do you mean just like LeBron? Lebron has proven he is a star player being in the league for several years. There is no doubt he is talented. The only controversy with him is cheating by joining stars to win a championship, but there is no doubt he has won them and been big parts of them too.

You said that players annointed early never reach those heights. Everybody saw LeBron coming from a long way off. He was annointed as the future best player in the league even before he was drafted.

And I'd say LeBron's lived up to the hype.
dkjjr
Junior
And1: 17

Post#10 » by dkjjr » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:07 pm

Davis also has more defensive potential than any player to enter the NBA since Dwight Howard.

Is this supposed to be a news article or a reddit post? Opinions don't belong in news. No doubt he has a lot of potential, but come on. Keep it facts and real news.
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#11 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:08 pm

magicmerl wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:What do you mean just like LeBron? Lebron has proven he is a star player being in the league for several years. There is no doubt he is talented. The only controversy with him is cheating by joining stars to win a championship, but there is no doubt he has won them and been big parts of them too.

You said that players annointed early never reach those heights. Everybody saw LeBron coming from a long way off. He was annointed as the future best player in the league even before he was drafted.

And I'd say LeBron's lived up to the hype.

He actually received a ton of criticism then. Anthony Davis doesn't seem to be getting that. I don't think he was anointed back then.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#12 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:42 pm

Aside from the apt LeBron comparison, someone who was compared to MJ/Magic from a very young age, the way Davis has played this season he most definitely deserves to be compared to those guys.
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#13 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:47 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:

Aside from the apt LeBron comparison, someone who was compared to MJ/Magic from a very young age, the way Davis has played this season he most definitely deserves to be compared to those guys.

Ok fair, didn't think about it that way.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#14 » by The Watcher » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:52 pm

dkjjr wrote:
Davis also has more defensive potential than any player to enter the NBA since Dwight Howard.

Is this supposed to be a news article or a reddit post? Opinions don't belong in news. No doubt he has a lot of potential, but come on. Keep it facts and real news.

Agree 100% - these WT articles are getting worse and worse when it comes to adding opinion to "news"
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#15 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 9:56 pm

The Watcher wrote:
dkjjr wrote:

Agree 100% - these WT articles are getting worse and worse when it comes to adding opinion to "news"

The point of the comments is to add opinion. Why else would there be a comment section?!? So we can all add more facts?
The Watcher
Senior

Post#16 » by The Watcher » Tue Apr 1, 2014 10:01 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:
The Watcher wrote:
dkjjr wrote:

The point of the comments is to add opinion. Why else would there be a comment section?!? So we can all add more facts?

Your ability to live such a fufilling life after being labotomized is truly inspirational...

The ARTICLE (not the COMMENTS SECTION) should not be adding opinion.

On the other hand, the COMMENTS SECTION (not the ARTICLE) is an entirely appropriate place for the communicty to add opinion.
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#17 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 10:02 pm

The Watcher wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:
The Watcher wrote:

Your ability to live such a fufilling life after being labotomized is truly inspirational...

On the other hand, the COMMENTS SECTION (not the ARTICLE) is an entirely appropriate place for the communicty to add opinion.

What's a communicty? What is "fufilling"? Did you mean "fulfilling"? Please enlighten me.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#18 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 1, 2014 10:04 pm

Is the grammar nazi stuff really necessary? Seems kind of petty to me...

Anyways, does anyone really see any Dirk in his game? I definitely see KG and can see potential for Hakeem...but Dirk? Eh...
The Watcher
Senior

Post#19 » by The Watcher » Tue Apr 1, 2014 10:07 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:
The Watcher wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

What's a communicty? What is "fufilling"? Did you mean "fulfilling"? Please enlighten me.

I hate how you change the topic when proven to be an idiot by commenting on the grammar/spelling of others.

It's irrelevant: I know how to spell, I just type fast and don't bother to correct myself because it's an INTERNET FORUM not a thesis for an academic publication. Everybody knows what I mean, but only the really lame bother to notice it.
Knicks Universe
Banned User

Post#20 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 1, 2014 10:08 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:Is the grammar nazi stuff really necessary? Seems kind of petty to me...

Anyways, does anyone really see any Dirk in his game? I definitely see KG and can see potential for Hakeem...but Dirk? Eh...

Yeah I agree. I think Dirk is more of a finesse player and Anthony Davis resembles KG and Hakeem more in terms of playing style.

Return to Wiretap Discussion