Nerlens Noel 'Encouraged' During Year Of Rehab

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Nerlens Noel 'Encouraged' During Year Of Rehab 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:01 am

Nerlens Noel spoke to reporters for the first time since the end of September.

Noel hasn't played a competitive game since tearing his ACL in March of last year while a freshman at Kentucky.

"I am very encouraged," Noel said after practice at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. "Through the past year since I had my injury, I have pushed myself through thick and thin and I had some struggles and I just stayed with it."

Noel continues to be limited in practice.

"I worked my butt of to get where I am at now and definitely feel confident I am at my best point and have increased my vertical leap," he said. "And I am just building up my body though this past year."

Noel was hoping to be cleared in time to play in his hometown of Boston on April 4th, but he will miss the entire season.

Via Marc Narducci/Philadelphia Inquirer

LeftWright
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Nerlens Noel 'Encouraged' During Year Of Rehab 

Post#2 » by LeftWright » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:23 am

so does this mean that he will be a rookie next year? going up against Embiid, Wiggins, Parker etc. for ROY?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:36 am

LeftWright wrote:so does this mean that he will be a rookie next year? going up against Embiid, Wiggins, Parker etc. for ROY?

Blake Griffin was a rookie after coming off of a season where he didn't play at all. So yeah, I'd think so.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 205

Post#4 » by puja21 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:04 am

doordoor123 wrote:
LeftWright wrote:so does this mean that he will be a rookie next year? going up against Embiid, Wiggins, Parker etc. for ROY?

Blake Griffin was a rookie after coming off of a season where he didn't play at all. So yeah, I'd think so.

exactly. it doesn't matter what year you are drafted

remember, larry bird played a full year of college basketball AFTER red auerbach drafted him

this is something you say all the time in baseball, where guys will even get called up and play in some major league games, but aren't officially rookies until they play a minimum number of games in the same season
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#5 » by Knicks Universe » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:22 am

76ers took a huge risk drafting him. At the rate it's going, I hate to say it, but this looks like Greg Oden 2.0.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#6 » by Mr Sixer » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:54 am

Knicks Universe wrote:76ers took a huge risk drafting him. At the rate it's going, I hate to say it, but this looks like Greg Oden 2.0.

We didn't draft him we traded for him.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#7 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:08 am

Knicks Universe wrote:76ers took a huge risk drafting him. At the rate it's going, I hate to say it, but this looks like Greg Oden 2.0.

Not really, he was intentionally held out an extended period of time for dual purpose, to tank and to allow him more than enough time to rehabilitate and add weight/muscle which he has done. He hasn't suffered set backs or additional injuries or anything to worry about, it's nothing like Oden, at all at this point.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
MadMike
Banned User
And1: 114

Post#8 » by MadMike » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:46 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:

Not really, he was intentionally held out an extended period of time for dual purpose, to tank and to allow him more than enough time to rehabilitate and add weight/muscle which he has done. He hasn't suffered set backs or additional injuries or anything to worry about, it's nothing like Oden, at all at this point.

Looks more like Blake Griffin than Greg Oden to me.
BNelley24
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#9 » by BNelley24 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 11:51 am

Dude ACLs these days aren't that bad with today's rehab/surgery etc.....This isn't a degenerative situation like Oden/Bynum....He got hurt, he'll be back, and in fact might even benefit from missing time to build the rest of his body up.

He technically could play right now they are just sitting him because there is no point in risking anything at this point of the season.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#10 » by nikster » Wed Apr 9, 2014 1:15 pm

Something makes me think you love to say it
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#11 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:30 pm

I don't see this as a risk for the 76ers. They got Nerlens Noel with the #7 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft and looking like they will be getting the #10 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft from the Pelicans for Jrue Holiday. The 76ers replaced Jrue Holiday with the #11 pick last year with Michael Carter-Williams who shown potential and will do a lot better with some talent around him. The 76ers also will have five 2nd Round Picks in the 2014 NBA Draft that they can trade up, trade for next year draft picks, trade for a proven NBA player, draft a player that everyone slept on like a Carlos Boozer, Paul Millsap, Marc Gasol, Monta Ellis, Manu Ginobili, etc.

PG: Michael Carter-Williams (#11 2013 NBA Draft)
SG: Gary Harris (#10 2014 NBA Draft)
PF: ??????????
SF: Andrew Wiggins (#1 2014 NBA Draft)
C: Nerlens Noel (#7 2013 NBA Draft)

Not a bad way to rebuild your team.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#12 » by CHAMPi0N » Wed Apr 9, 2014 8:43 pm

These guys are definitely hoping for a Blake Griffin effect. The franchise desperately needs it
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#13 » by Knicks Universe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:15 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:

Fair, I get that it was for rehab and adding muscle. I don't think they held him out to tank though. Imagine the conversation. I don't think Noel would be happy if he knew he was healthy enough to potentially play, but they wouldn't let him play so they could keep tanking. Even if they didn't tell him that explicitly, wouldn't he be suspicious and confused about why the 76ers wouldn't let him play, despite being medically cleared?

Return to Wiretap Discussion