Channing Frye Hopes To Discuss Extension With Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Channing Frye Hopes To Discuss Extension With Suns 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Channing Frye has a $6.8 million player option for next season and would like to negotiate a contract extension.

Frye averaged 11.2 points and 5.1 rebounds this season on 43.3 percent shooting, including 37.1 percent on 3s.

"I want to talk to the Suns and make sure we're both on the same page about what I want," Frye said. "I'd love to stay here. It's up to them and their future and what they want to do. I love wearing this uniform. I think I take a little more pride in it than everyone else because I'm from here.

"It's looking for the future and if I could get something longer. I got kids and I want to be somewhere. I've been here for five years already so it wouldn't be bad to kind of not be worried about being traded or buying a house."

Only Goran Dragic ($7.5 million) and amnestied Josh Childress ($7.32 million) are on the Suns' books for more next season, although restricted free agent Eric Bledsoe stands to make more.

Via Paul Coro/Arizona Republic

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Channing Frye Hopes To Discuss Extension With Suns 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 pm

He should opt out and cash in on the suns great season. I can see someone offering him a 3 year 25M contract or something in that neighborhood. But teams may stay away from him because of his heart condition that caused him to miss all of last season. I don't feel like the suns front office enjoyed this season as much as fans. They clearly wanted to make the playoffs or get a high pick. They exceed expectations in the regular season but barely missed the playoffs and their pick is stuck in the middle. If Frye opts out, I don't see the suns wanting to resign him instead favoring to give his minutes to alex len next season.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#3 » by Knicks Universe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Sam195 wrote:He should opt out and cash in on the suns great season. I can see someone offering him a 3 year 25M contract or something in that neighborhood. But teams may stay away from him because of his heart condition that caused him to miss all of last season. I don't feel like the suns front office enjoyed this season as much as fans. They clearly wanted to make the playoffs or get a high pick. They exceed expectations in the regular season but barely missed the playoffs and their pick is stuck in the middle. If Frye opts out, I don't see the suns wanting to resign him instead favoring to give his minutes to alex len next season.

Completely agree, the Suns have quite a few bigs (and depth at every position to be honest), so it will be tough to get Len some good playing time. If Frye asks for too much they may let him go, despite a decent season.
The Kane
Sixth Man
And1: 644

Post#4 » by The Kane » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Sam195 wrote:I can see someone offering him a 3 year 25M contract or something in that neighborhood.

Nobody is offering Channing Frye $8 million a year. He'll get maybe 4-5 million max.
"This game has always been, and will always be about buckets."

- Bill Russell
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#5 » by IMAN5 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 pm

whatever JJ Hickson makes in Denver, I think that's a fair deal to give someone like Frye.

Suns have enough bigs to develop, as another poster said Len needs his minutes. I think Len will be nice.
instagram.com/510movement
hoopnharm
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#6 » by hoopnharm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

I hope things work out, dragic seems to like playing with this guy
Saig
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#7 » by Saig » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm thinking 3 year 9-12 mil.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#8 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Either they let him go or Phoenix feels that Markieff Morris is a starting PF which I don't think he is. He's better suited off the bench. I think they should re-sign him for another year or two as a stop-gap and potentially try to make a run at K-Love.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#9 » by Knicks Universe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Fresh360Waves wrote:Either they let him go or Phoenix feels that Markieff Morris is a starting PF which I don't think he is. He's better suited off the bench. I think they should re-sign him for another year or two as a stop-gap and potentially try to make a run at K-Love.

In a perfect world yeah, but Frye may want a longer-term contract (4-5 years perhaps?) which may be to long for the Suns too offer for a stop gap solution. Plus as mentioned by myself and a few posters, it would create a log-jam of big men even without K. Love. If he asks for that many years I'm afraid Phoenix may have to release him.
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#10 » by smeagolheart » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I really want to see Channing on the Nets, he'd be great playing for Jason Kidd in Brooklyn
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#11 » by Temuhjan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 pm

TrippyTip wrote:
Sam195 wrote:I can see someone offering him a 3 year 25M contract or something in that neighborhood.

Nobody is offering Channing Frye $8 million a year. He'll get maybe 4-5 million max.

I reckon there should be takers at 25m for 4 years of Frye's service. In view of that, Channing will likely opt in for the 6.8m player option and get another run with the Suns next year

Return to Wiretap Discussion