Jim Buss Gives Himself Deadline To Turn Around Lakers' Basketball Ops

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jim Buss Gives Himself Deadline To Turn Around Lakers' Basketball Ops 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Jim Buss pledged to his siblings during a winter meeting that he would step down from his post in basketball operations of the Los Angeles Lakers if the team didn't become a contender again within the next few years.

"I was laying myself on the line by saying, if this doesn't work in three to four years, if we're not back on the top — and the definition of top means contending for the Western Conference, contending for a championship — then I will step down because that means I have failed," Jim Buss told The Times about the meeting. "I don't know if you can fire yourself if you own the team … but what I would say is I'd walk away and you guys figure out who's going to run basketball operations because I obviously couldn't do the job.

"There's no question in my mind we will accomplish success. I'm not worried about putting myself on the line."

Via Mike Bresnahan/Los Angeles Times

chyau.00
Starter
And1: 713

Re: Jim Buss Gives Himself Deadline To Turn Around Lakers' B 

Post#2 » by chyau.00 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:24 pm

yea waste your best players' last contending years so you can step away when it's just a team of d-leaguers.
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#3 » by smeagolheart » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:27 pm

he might as well step down now. No way Westly Johnson will lead the lakers to the promised land in 4 yrs.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#4 » by your boy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 pm

smeagolheart wrote:he might as well step down now. No way Westly Johnson will lead the lakers to the promised land in 4 yrs.

Yeah because they can't get a good player in the draft right?
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#5 » by mawbsta » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 am

By my count, next season would be year 3 of the plan...
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#6 » by Kobe System » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:32 am

mawbsta wrote:By my count, next season would be year 3 of the plan...

They were supposed to be contender last year.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#7 » by Bravenewworld » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 pm

your boy wrote:
smeagolheart wrote:he might as well step down now. No way Westly Johnson will lead the lakers to the promised land in 4 yrs.

Well lets see...
Lets say they get a good draft pick, a top 5. Its going to take that player 2 or 3 years before they are even really ready to make the play offs or get past the first round.
They still owe Nash 8 million for at least one more year.
Kobe is owed 48 over 2 more years.
Im sure they will resign two or three of their current guys to 2 or 3 years at a total of, eh, 15 split between the three some how.
there's your cap for the next two to three years.

Lets touch on Kobe a bit here. And this is not me taking anything away from the man.
He's done. He's not done in the sense that he cant play, but done in the sense that he cant be the number 1 option on a contending team. Which sucks because if you have Kobe, hes always going to be your number one option and he is always going to be a guy who controls the ball 70% of the game (which makes the PG spot redundant).
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#8 » by Bravenewworld » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Kobe System wrote:
mawbsta wrote:By my count, next season would be year 3 of the plan...

They were supposed to be contender last year.

And technically this year. They put way too much faith into Howard resigning and for the longest time really just assumed he would.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#9 » by your boy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Bravenewworld wrote:
your boy wrote:

Well lets see...
Lets say they get a good draft pick, a top 5. Its going to take that player 2 or 3 years before they are even really ready to make the play offs or get past the first round.
They still owe Nash 8 million for at least one more year.
Kobe is owed 48 over 2 more years.
Im sure they will resign two or three of their current guys to 2 or 3 years at a total of, eh, 15 split between the three some how.
there's your cap for the next two to three years.

Lets touch on Kobe a bit here. And this is not me taking anything away from the man.
He's done. He's not done in the sense that he cant play, but done in the sense that he cant be the number 1 option on a contending team. Which sucks because if you have Kobe, hes always going to be your number one option and he is always going to be a guy who controls the ball 70% of the game (which makes the PG spot redundant).

The Lakers will have cap space in 2015. They can sign another player to go with Kobe and whoever you drsaft. Obviously who ever they get probably won't be carrying the Lakers deep in the playoffs but I'm sure they can help. Look at how good Lillard is in only his 2nd season.

Return to Wiretap Discussion