Iguodala: We're Trying To Save Our Coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Iguodala: We're Trying To Save Our Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:37 am

The Golden State Warriors' players have the job security of Mark Jackson in mind as they play against the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of the playoffs.

Andre Iguodala said after the Game 1 win that he heard an ESPN report that Jackson "is going to be gone."

"We're trying to save our coach," Iguodala said. "Every game is pressure for us."

"It was more the message along those lines that we as players can control the vibe of what's going on," Stephen Curry said before practice at UCLA. "If we're losing and not playing the way we're supposed to, obviously people will start looking for answers and the head coach will get most of that blame. But if we go out and play 100 percent every night, take advantage of every opportunity out in front of us, there's nothing they can say about it."

Via Diamond Leung/San Jose Merucry News

RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Re: Iguodala: We're Trying To Save Our Coach 

Post#2 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:52 am

That would be so damn stupid! Let's say this if Mark Jackson did get fired, then what? What's out there that can replaced Mark Jackson? George Karl? Lionel Hollins? Stan Van Gundy? Don Nelson? Rick Adelman? Jerry Sloan? Please. These guys are not championship coaches or championship potential coaches anymore. Plus, just getting Andre Iguodala will not take this team to a championship. You need more pieces around such as two damn healthy centers and a damn quality backup PG. Joe Lacob is a fool that thinks he knows sports when he doesn't have a single athletic bone in his body. Give this guy a break! Kudos to Andre Iguodala as well as Stephen Curry, Jermaine O'Neal, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, David Lee, and everybody else that stood up and went out on media supporting and backing up Mark Jackson.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#3 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:10 am

RoyalMajesty wrote:That would be so damn stupid! Let's say this if Mark Jackson did get fired, then what? What's out there that can replaced Mark Jackson? George Karl? Lionel Hollins? Stan Van Gundy? Don Nelson? Rick Adelman? Jerry Sloan? Please. These guys are not championship coaches or championship potential coaches anymore. Plus, just getting Andre Iguodala will not take this team to a championship. You need more pieces around such as two damn healthy centers and a damn quality backup PG. Joe Lacob is a fool that thinks he knows sports when he doesn't have a single athletic bone in his body. Give this guy a break! Kudos to Andre Iguodala as well as Stephen Curry, Jermaine O'Neal, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, David Lee, and everybody else that stood up and went out on media supporting and backing up Mark Jackson.

I do agree that there just aren't any quality coaches in the market (although I do think there's quality coaches with zero NBA experience out there -- hoiberg, steve kerr, other college coaches) and I do love the players backing their coach up and I feel they're going to dictate the front office keeping Jackson as coach.

BUT...Lacob has done lots with this franchise and he's the one that traded Ellis for Bogut which many Warrior fans hated, but made the Warriors an overall better team. I think Lacob is smart enough to not go against Curry and the rest of the players wishes in firing Mark Jackson. If he does it will be a domino effect with players asking to be traded away. Dumb on Lacob to even suggest Jackson's job was on the line -- brought an unnecessary vibe over the team.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
juduking
Junior
And1: 23

Post#4 » by juduking » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:22 am

I thought that was the coaches job? Its good that his players respect him, and have bought into his system. Jackson just needs more that faith to get him some job security. He is not a good schemer, or game planner. It seems like the Warriors just go game to game and have no long term plans.
"Ball Don't Lie"!
Dasein
Senior
And1: 447

Post#5 » by Dasein » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 am

RoyalMajesty wrote:That would be so damn stupid! Let's say this if Mark Jackson did get fired, then what? What's out there that can replaced Mark Jackson? George Karl? Lionel Hollins? Stan Van Gundy? Don Nelson? Rick Adelman? Jerry Sloan? Please. These guys are not championship coaches or championship potential coaches anymore. Plus, just getting Andre Iguodala will not take this team to a championship. You need more pieces around such as two damn healthy centers and a damn quality backup PG. Joe Lacob is a fool that thinks he knows sports when he doesn't have a single athletic bone in his body. Give this guy a break! Kudos to Andre Iguodala as well as Stephen Curry, Jermaine O'Neal, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson, David Lee, and everybody else that stood up and went out on media supporting and backing up Mark Jackson.

I don't understand how you can be so content with what Mark Jackson has done. Do you really think that this team should be a 6th seed? With the talent we have, we should have a better record than Houston and Portland. I think we are just as talented as San Antonio, but the difference between us and them is that they have a good coach. Players support mark jackson because he lets them do whatever they want and because he's buddies with them.
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#6 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:00 am

cdubbz wrote:

I do agree that there just aren't any quality coaches in the market (although I do think there's quality coaches with zero NBA experience out there -- hoiberg, steve kerr, other college coaches) and I do love the players backing their coach up and I feel they're going to dictate the front office keeping Jackson as coach.

BUT...Lacob has done lots with this franchise and he's the one that traded Ellis for Bogut which many Warrior fans hated, but made the Warriors an overall better team. I think Lacob is smart enough to not go against Curry and the rest of the players wishes in firing Mark Jackson. If he does it will be a domino effect with players asking to be traded away. Dumb on Lacob to even suggest Jackson's job was on the line -- brought an unnecessary vibe over the team.

BINGO! This is where I was trying to go next. Great post Cdubbz. You have two guys that's pretty much the face of the franchise with one being only 26-years-old that's a top 10 player in the NBA and the other one being only 24-years-old that's a top 5 SG. You don't want these two franchise guys to be upset and then who knows what might happen. They probably would want to leave the team after seeing how well the team was playing under Mark Jackson and also, how these two guys turned out thanks to Mark Jackson and would probably want to play for him again. Then the Warriors will go back to drafting poorly, winning 20 something games, overpaying for players, and what not. Joe Lacob just need to keep his mouth shut and stop running his mouth all the damn time. He sounds like a bitter, grumpy guy that his date was taken away by some guy at the restaurant and he had to eat some crab cakes all alone in the dark. Just shut up Lacob.
StaticRoar
Pro Prospect
And1: 884

Post#7 » by StaticRoar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:27 am

Dasein wrote:

I don't understand how you can be so content with what Mark Jackson has done. Do you really think that this team should be a 6th seed? With the talent we have, we should have a better record than Houston and Portland. I think we are just as talented as San Antonio, but the difference between us and them is that they have a good coach. Players support mark jackson because he lets them do whatever they want and because he's buddies with them.

A lot of the teams in the West are more talented than San Antonio. Pop is just a god.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#8 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 am

Dasein wrote:

Wake up Einstein. We had Toney Douglas, Jordan Crawford, and no threat play it safe Steve Blake that can't hit his shots, gets overpowered by other PGs, and slow as snails as our backup PGs this season and remember we didn't have a quality backup PG for 3/4 of the regular season until Steve Blake came here around the trade deadline and that's not saying much. We also had a rookie PG, Nemanja Nedovic, that can't even beat out the worst point guard of all-time in Toney Douglas. You can't expect Stephen Curry to play 48 minutes every game. He needs and Mark Jackson needs a quality backup PG that can give this team 12 to 14 quality minutes while giving Curry some rest. Remember when Stephen Curry missed some games and we had to force Andre Iguodala to played PG and what happened? He got injured for weeks and didn't recovered from the hamstring injury because Toney Douglas was diarrhea bad at PG and Nedovic is completely useless that we had to play Iguodala at PG for heavy 40+ minutes. Even the great Gregg Popovich would lose his mind having those 3 guys (Douglas, Crawford, Blake) as the backup PG for all season long.

Then Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, David Lee, Andre Iguodala, and Andrew Bogut only played 43 games together this season. 43 GAMES! 31-12 on those 43 games to be exact so imagine if these guys could of play 65 games together, they could of been 45-20 or so with 17 games left that they could of went 11-6 or better. That's a 56-26 record with no backup PG, no bench, no backup center, etc. Do you know how many times the starting lineup of Damian Lillard, Wesley Matthews, LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum, and Robin Lopez played together for the Portland Trail Blazers? 69 games together while Damian Lillard, Wesley Matthews, Nicolas Batum, and Robin Lopez all playing all 82 games and LaMarcus Aldridge missing only 13 games. One starting guy being the only player missed for the Trail Blazers while we had pretty much 3 starting guys missed. 69 games together for the Portland Trail Blazers starting lineup and 43 games together for the Golden State Warriors starting lineup while we finished the season with 51 wins and the Portland Trail Blazers finished the season with 54 wins. Am I still losing you here or that's not clear enough for you?

Here's another fun fact for you: Stephen Curry missed 3 games due to injuries and 1 missed game because Mark Jackson didn't feel the need to play him during the season finale, Klay Thompson missing a game because of his grandfather passing away, David Lee missing 13 games with a hamstring and shoulder injuries, Andre Iguodala missing 19 games due to knee and hamstring injuries, and Andrew Bogut missing 14 games with all types of injuries and a 1 game suspension. Do the math: 4 games (Curry) + 1 game (Thompson) + 13 games (Lee) + 19 games (Iguodala) + 15 games (Bogut) = 52 games missed. 52 GAMES! Whereas the Trail Blazers starting lineup missed only 13 games and that's only by 1 player. 1 player! Oh yeah let's check out our 2nd year center Festus Ezeli that was huge for us last season played hhhhmmmmmmmmm . . . . . Let's see here . . . . . O GAMES THIS SEASON! Then you have Jermaine O'Neal playing only 44 games. That's 38 missed games by Jermaine O'Neal. All these injuries, no bench, no backup PG, and no backup centers and the Warriors finished 3 games behind the Trail Blazers and Rockets? :crazy:

What do you expect? 60 wins with a starting lineup of PG-Stephen Curry, SG-Klay Thompson, PF-Draymond Green, SF-Harrison Barnes, C-Marreese Speights and a bench unit of PG-Steve Blake, SG-Jordan Crawford, PF-Hilton Armstrong, and C-Ognjen Kuzmic? Get real man. No other head coaches could of did just as good or better than what Mark Jackson did outside of Gregg Popovich, Doc Rivers, and Tom Thibodeau. On top of that, Mark Jackson had to deal with a owner who breathing down his neck at the games all season long and the owner's loverboy GM being quiet and out of the media to save his behind for assembling this crappy diarrhea bench. Now think and read again about everything I just posted so you have a little appreciation for what Mark Jackson did this season. Same goes out to all the other Mark Jackson haters out there to get an idea of what the Warriors season has been like before coming here and just bashing away on Mark Jackson. Go ahead and marinate on that.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#9 » by your boy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:29 am

I think it would be dumb for them to fire Jackson because well, who are they going to get? But if true, it was a b*tch move on his part to pursue the Nets and Clippers vacancies over the last offseason. If that's true, the players shouldn't really give a damn what happens to him because he basically turned his back on the team.
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#10 » by Fellow72 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Dasein wrote:

Dude, but what better coaches are there on the market? They aren't going to find anything remotely close to a Popovich.

The best choices right now are, Adleman, Jeff Van Gundy, Sloan, and Karl. But i don't see any of those guys giving them a substantially better record than they have now.

Management most likely won't even gun for any of these coaches and will look for fresh meat. In this scenario, players are automatically going to have a harder time respecting the coach since their fav coach would have lost his job to an unproven rookie. When you have a team with this much talent, it's probably the worst time to bring in a rookie coach. But with the vet coaches not being a lot better, getting rid of mark is very risky.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#11 » by IMAN5 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 pm

I know he's a player's coach and popular, but I've never seen loyalty like this. Star players (iggy and curry) publically telling the team owners not to fire the coach even though they want to.
instagram.com/510movement
basketballdario
Junior
And1: 26

Post#12 » by basketballdario » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:44 pm

This is just a result of surrounding some born-again idiot with a bunch of uber-Christians. Place must be like a cult or one of those scary Jesus camps.
RaptorBall
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by RaptorBall » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Fellow72 wrote:
Dasein wrote:

Dude, but what better coaches are there on the market? They aren't going to find anything remotely close to a Popovich.

The best choices right now are, Adleman, Jeff Van Gundy, Sloan, and Karl. But i don't see any of those guys giving them a substantially better record than they have now.

Management most likely won't even gun for any of these coaches and will look for fresh meat. In this scenario, players are automatically going to have a harder time respecting the coach since their fav coach would have lost his job to an unproven rookie. When you have a team with this much talent, it's probably the worst time to bring in a rookie coach. But with the vet coaches not being a lot better, getting rid of mark is very risky.

You're right about the coaching market, and taking in that Sloan is part of operations for the Jazz and and Adelman announcing his retirement, Van Gundy, Karl, Hollins are what's left..
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#14 » by azwfan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Management is trying to instill a sense of urgency in the players and coaching staff. According to Iguodala's comments, it looks like it has worked. Players should have been trying to "save their coach" (by playing better) for most of the year.

Perhaps Jackson should have been able to get them to do that without management alluding to job security...

Lets hope the players keep trying to "save his job" next year.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
BBPurist
Sixth Man
And1: 15

Post#15 » by BBPurist » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 pm

There are some great articles about game 1 that really capture the highs and lows of Mark Jackson's coaching approach and skill. Personally, I don't think the Warriors have maximized their talent this year--but they have played with tremendous grit and confidence against equal/better competition. The front office has a touch decision to make this offseason.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2014/4/20/5633650/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-mark-jacksons-job-in-game-1
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#16 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Curry, Iggy, Lee and Bogut are all amazing players. A guy like Phil Jackson could win a Championship with that starting line.

Minus Bogut the Utah Ute, and your still a WCF finalist. They got pick and roll, solid footing on 3 pointer with both Curry and Thompson, and then you got the defensive minded player Iggy who should help others want to defend.

I think Warriors are a recipe for success. I say the same for Clippers, but they brought no energy, and 1 man can't do it all.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#17 » by your boy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:Curry, Iggy, Lee and Bogut are all amazing players. A guy like Phil Jackson could win a Championship with that starting line.

Minus Bogut the Utah Ute, and your still a WCF finalist. They got pick and roll, solid footing on 3 pointer with both Curry and Thompson, and then you got the defensive minded player Iggy who should help others want to defend.

I think Warriors are a recipe for success. I say the same for Clippers, but they brought no energy, and 1 man can't do it all.

The Clippers choke, that's what they do. And Why do you think every player in the league is amazing?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User

Post#18 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

IMAN5 wrote:I know he's a player's coach and popular, but I've never seen loyalty like this. Star players (iggy and curry) publically telling the team owners not to fire the coach even though they want to.

Same here brotha and I wish more players would do this for their head coach. You got Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson as the face of the franchise coming out and supporting Mark Jackson 110% because of what he got out of the Splash Brothers. Mark Jackson gave the green light to Klay Thompson when he had his moments of consistently being God awful diarrhea bad missing all those shots, but still had confidence in Klay. Mark Jackson later then made Klay Thompson to be more than a shooter by making him into a good defender, be a two way player, and be a main guy that we can give the ball to get the Warriors some scoring outside of Stephen Curry and David Lee. Then for Stephen Curry, the biggest problem was about his toughness and what did Mark Jackson do? He backed up Stephen Curry just like any other guy on the Warriors team. How do you not like a head coach like that? Mark Jackson build some toughness on Curry, got him into a top 10 player, and a better point guard. This is why both Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, your two guys that's the face of the franchise, are so loyal to Mark Jackson.

Outside of the Splash Brothers, you also had Andre Iguodala and Jermaine O'Neal coming out and saying that they came to the Warriors to play for Mark Jackson. Then throughout this season, Andre Iguodala and Jermaine O'Neal came out plenty of times to make sure their voices were heard about their support for Mark Jackson. Same goes for David Lee and especially Draymond Green who everybody knows Mark Jackson has a lot of trust in. You got 4 out of the 5 starters (Curry, Thompson, Lee, Iguodala) backing up Mark Jackson and you also got 2 out of the 4 important bench players (Green and O'Neal) backing up Mark Jackson. That's 6 important big voices of your team backing up and supporting Mark Jackson. The only ones that I could be wrong that haven't come out and support Mark Jackson yet is Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut.

Then you have Steve Blake, Jordan Crawford, Nemanja Nedovic, Marreese Speights, Ognjen Kuzmic, Festus Ezeli who haven't said much about Mark Jackson because all 6 guys know their roles and pretty much know that they need to keep their mouth shut especially the rookies Nemanja Nedovic and Ognjen Kuzmic, the new guys that was picked up during the regular season in Steve Blake and Jordan Crawford, a guy who hasn't play a single minute this season in Festus Ezeli, and a guy that needs to be on Mark Jackson's good side in order to get some minutes in Marreese Speights.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#19 » by HornetJail » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell Mark Jackson is on the coaching hot seat. I've hardly heard anything negative about him.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#20 » by MRxBLACK » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why the hell Mark Jackson is on the coaching hot seat. I've hardly heard anything negative about him.

You and me both. Would an educated Warriors fan please fill us in?
ESPN Sucks

Return to Wiretap Discussion