Griffin: Relationship With Chris Paul Has Evolved Every Year

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Griffin: Relationship With Chris Paul Has Evolved Every Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:10 am

Blake Griffin had the best season of his career in 13-14 and his ability to coexist with Chris Paul has also improved in their third season together.

"Every year (the relationship with Paul) has evolved," Griffin said Tuesday. "You can't expect two guys who have never played together before to just come in and just right away be the best of teammates and understand everything that they're doing. It takes time.

"You figure out ways to make things work every year…I think last summer was big, because we spent a lot of time together — not just (in Los Angeles) but also in China, doing tours (for their shared Jordan brand) over there. We went to (Las) Vegas — we worked out in Vegas a little bit. Little things like that helps build the relationship."

Griffin's production also jumped during Paul's absence due to injury.

"Blake was always like the little brother (to Paul)," Jamal Crawford said. "And when the big brother is down, the little brother has to step up. And me and Blake looked at each other, because he was like, 'Now we've got to be more aggressive. We've got to go.' He led with his voice. He led by example. He led us every single night when Chris went out.

"This guy just wants to be great. He really does. I've said it before — (Kevin) Durant (of the Oklahoma City Thunder) will probably win MVP this year, but with those guys being the same age I could see them going back and forth for years to come. ... Blake's one of the special talents in the world."

Via Sam Amick/USA Today

Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Re: Griffin: Relationship With Chris Paul Has Evolved Every  

Post#2 » by Sn0wman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 am

I hate that picture SMH!
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

All CP3 has to do is toss the ball near the vicinity of the rim and Blake or Jordan will get their 20+ points a game (not to mentioned the league's best posterization highlights). Of course their relationship is going to develop - one likes to pass the other likes to score. Now its a matter of making noise in the playoffs - they have the best team possible, mix of talented young guys and experienced veterans.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Post#4 » by BlzMwt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:All CP3 has to do is toss the ball near the vicinity of the rim and Blake or Jordan will get their 20+ points a game (not to mentioned the league's best posterization highlights). Of course their relationship is going to develop - one likes to pass the other likes to score. Now its a matter of making noise in the playoffs - they have the best team possible, mix of talented young guys and experienced veterans.

that's a pretty dumbed down version
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#5 » by Gannet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 pm

If the Clippers were matched up with "any" other team in the West right now, I would say they wouldn't even make it out of the first round. Chris Paul is a regular season stat-stuffer that has never made it out of the second round for good reason (under-sized guards aren't effective in the playoffs), and it won't be different this year.
devinbrady
Junior
And1: 145

Post#6 » by devinbrady » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Gannet wrote:If the Clippers were matched up with "any" other team in the West right now, I would say they wouldn't even make it out of the first round. Chris Paul is a regular season stat-stuffer that has never made it out of the second round for good reason (under-sized guards aren't effective in the playoffs), and it won't be different this year.

You might want to check your facts. His career numbers in the playoffs are higher than in the regular season. He has averaged 21 points 9.5 assists and 5 rebounds in the playoffs.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#7 » by Knicks Universe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Gannet wrote:If the Clippers were matched up with "any" other team in the West right now, I would say they wouldn't even make it out of the first round. Chris Paul is a regular season stat-stuffer that has never made it out of the second round for good reason (under-sized guards aren't effective in the playoffs), and it won't be different this year.

Completely agree. There are tons of players in NBA history that are great in the regular season and choke hard in the playoffs. CP3 is starting to become one of them. If GSW actually gets passed them in the first round, Clippers need to consider blowing this up starting with CP3 while you can still get a lot of assets for him. If you have all this talent, one of the best coaches in the league, and you still aren't able to even get past the first round, it's never going to work.
devinbrady
Junior

Post#8 » by devinbrady » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:

Completely agree. There are tons of players in NBA history that are great in the regular season and choke hard in the playoffs. CP3 is starting to become one of them. If GSW actually gets passed them in the first round, Clippers need to consider blowing this up starting with CP3 while you can still get a lot of assets for him. If you have all this talent, one of the best coaches in the league, and you still aren't able to even get past the first round, it's never going to work.

LOL.. Im sure you were saying the same things about Lebron and the Heat a few years ago. Rooting for the Bulls and Knicks must be a great time.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#9 » by Knicks Universe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

devinbrady wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

LOL.. Im sure you were saying the same things about Lebron and the Heat a few years ago. Rooting for the Bulls and Knicks must be a great time.

Well yes but my opinion of him hasn't changed. He won by joining D Wade and Bosh. That's hardly attributable to him suddenly becoming a better player.
Gannet
Junior

Post#10 » by Gannet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 pm

devinbrady wrote:

You might want to check your facts. His career numbers in the playoffs are higher than in the regular season. He has averaged 21 points 9.5 assists and 5 rebounds in the playoffs.

He's an empty numbers guy through and through. Lucky for the Clippers in the first round, Curry is very much the same way.
devinbrady
Junior

Post#11 » by devinbrady » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Gannet wrote:
devinbrady wrote:

He's an empty numbers guy through and through. Lucky for the Clippers in the first round, Curry is very much the same way.

He is far and away the best PG in the league and will be a first ballot HOF. Who would you rather have running your point?
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#12 » by mj_shoefanatic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm

All these bonehead LAC haters should go jump off a bridge.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#13 » by Arsilva » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 pm

CP3's best teammates were David West and Tyson Chandler. Perfect fit and all of them in theirs primes. Unfortunately, a small market team can't afford paying for quality role players and depth, like Dallas did for Nowitzki, Miami for LBJ and LA for Kobe.

I don't believe D.Jordan will reach Tyson's outstanding bskt IQ or BG will be a consistent jump shooter as D.West was.
Gannet
Junior

Post#14 » by Gannet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm

devinbrady wrote:
Gannet wrote:
devinbrady wrote:

He is far and away the best PG in the league and will be a first ballot HOF. Who would you rather have running your point?

No championship team has ever had a PG as it's best player since Isaiah Thomas, and that might be the only example. You are WAYYYY ahead of yourself on the HOF stuff. Paul could have a career-ending injury next season, and as of yet, he hasn't accomplished anything in his career. Right now, he's on the same level as Kevin Johnson. Actually, no he isn't even close, KJ has been to the finals.
devinbrady
Junior

Post#15 » by devinbrady » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm

Gannet wrote:
devinbrady wrote:
Gannet wrote:He's an empty numbers guy through and through. Lucky for the Clippers in the first round, Curry is very much the same way.

No championship team has ever had a PG as it's best player since Isaiah Thomas, and that might be the only example. You are WAY ahead of yourself on the HOF stuff. Paul could have a career-ending injury next season, and as of yet, he hasn't accomplished anything in his career.

You are forgetting Magic, and CP3 might not be the best player on the team considering Blake will be #3 in MVP voting. In regards to HOF, if his career ended today he would still be voted in. This should be the third year in a row he will make the first team all NBA.
Gannet
Junior

Post#16 » by Gannet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 pm

devinbrady wrote:
Gannet wrote:
devinbrady wrote:

No championship team has ever had a PG as it's best player since Isaiah Thomas, and that might be the only example. You are WAY ahead of yourself on the HOF stuff. Paul could have a career-ending injury next season, and as of yet, he hasn't accomplished anything in his career.

You are forgetting Magic, and CP3 might not be the best player on the team considering Blake will be #3 in MVP voting. In regards to HOF, if his career ended today he would still be voted in. This should be the third year in a row he will make the first team all NBA.

See my edit, you are 100 miles ahead of yourself. Kevin Johnson missed the HOF this year, and he's even been to the Finals. Magic is a Point Forward.
devinbrady
Junior

Post#17 » by devinbrady » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Gannet wrote:
devinbrady wrote:
Gannet wrote:No championship team has ever had a PG as it's best player since Isaiah Thomas, and that might be the only example. You are WAY ahead of yourself on the HOF stuff. Paul could have a career-ending injury next season, and as of yet, he hasn't accomplished anything in his career.

See my edit, you are 100 miles ahead of yourself. Kevin Johnson missed the HOF this year, and he's even been to the Finals. Magic is a Point Forward.

Kevin Johnson are you kidding me? He was a nice player and even an all star a few times but never a first team all NBA more did he put up the numbers. Back in the day Phoenix was the team I pulled for and have seen play live a dozen or so times and he was not even in the same class as CP3.
Gannet
Junior

Post#18 » by Gannet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 pm

devinbrady wrote:Kevin Johnson are you kidding me? He was a nice player and even an all star a few times but never a first team all NBA more did he put up the numbers. Back in the day Phoenix was the team I pulled for and have seen play live a dozen or so times and he was not even in the same class as CP3.

Are you disputing KJ's numbers over his career? I can't tell by what you wrote. In any case, he had very similar numbers to Paul during the prime years of his career. He was a 22 and 10 guy. I don't why you're harping on the All-NBA First Team thing so much, because it's not exactly some overriding HOF criteria, especially with Westbrook, Rose, Rondo having bouts of injuries for the past few seasons. It was also a different era for KJ and for him to do what he did back then, it was even more special than now where almost every starting 1 has the right to jack up 20 shots a game. And he was miles ahead of Paul in athleticism.
devinbrady
Junior

Post#19 » by devinbrady » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Gannet wrote:
devinbrady wrote:Kevin Johnson are you kidding me? He was a nice player and even an all star a few times but never a first team all NBA more did he put up the numbers. Back in the day Phoenix was the team I pulled for and have seen play live a dozen or so times and he was not even in the same class as CP3.

Are you disputing KJ's numbers over his career? I can't tell by what you wrote. In any case, he had very similar numbers to Paul during the prime years of his career. He was a 22 and 10 guy. I don't why you're harping on the All-NBA First Team thing so much, because it's not exactly some overriding HOF criteria, especially with Westbrook, Rose, Rondo having bouts of injuries for the past few seasons. It was also a different era for KJ and for him to do what he did back then, it was even more special than now where almost every starting 1 has the right to jack up 20 shots a game. And he was miles ahead of Paul in athleticism.

If you look at all of the metrics which decide HOF worthiness like All Star games, first team all nba, all star mvp, and the fact he is always in the MVP conversation is what makes CP3 the best overall PG since he entered the league. D-Rose had 1 great year, Westbrook and Rondo are not even close. KJ was never the best player on his team.
Gannet
Junior

Post#20 » by Gannet » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 pm

devinbrady wrote:
Gannet wrote:

If you look at all of the metrics which decide HOF worthiness like All Star games, first team all nba, all star mvp, and the fact he is always in the MVP conversation is what makes CP3 the best overall PG since he entered the league. D-Rose had 1 great year, Westbrook and Rondo are not even close. KJ was never the best player on his team.

By your logic, Tmac would be a shoe-in first ballot HOFer as well. Somehow, it's not that easy, and that's for someone with more illustrious accomplishments such as Tmac. Chris Paul, if he has a long career, is literally only halfway there. Right now, he's the flavor of the month. I doubt that will hold true in even 2 years time. If the Clippers bomb out early, the ramifications will come even sooner.

And, really, it's your "opinion" that Westbrook isn't close, because I disagree. He has things that Paul can only dream of, size and athleticism. Like I already said, Rose was injured for essentially 3 seasons straight, so the verdict is incomplete. If everyone was healthy, I seriously doubt Paul would still be recognized in the same light.

Return to Wiretap Discussion