Hibbert Was Referring To Stephenson In 'Selfish Dudes' Comment

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Hibbert Was Referring To Stephenson In 'Selfish Dudes' Comment 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:37 pm

Roy Hibbert's comment in late March about "some selfish dudes in here" was a reference to Lance Stephenson, according to sources.

Stephenson has had a vastly improved season and is one of Larry Bird's favorite players on the roster, but he has also had confrontations with George Hill and Evan Turner.

Hill and Stephenson had to be separated on the Pacers' bench during a March 31 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

Turner and Stephenson had a fightfight during practice on the eve of the playoffs.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Re: Hibbert Was Referring To Stephenson In 'Selfish Dudes' C 

Post#2 » by smeagolheart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:42 pm

It is more likely he was referring to Turner's effect on Stephenson. Since Turner arrived and Turner started gunning, Stephensen has reduced passing. His assist-to-turnover ratio has dropped from 1.91 prior to Turner’s arrival to 1.27 after Turner’s arrival, and his assist ratio has fallen from 25.3 pre-Turner to 19.1 post-Turner.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm

smeagolheart wrote:It is more likely he was referring to Turner's effect on Stephenson. Since Turner arrived and Turner started gunning, Stephensen has reduced passing. His assist-to-turnover ratio has dropped from 1.91 prior to Turner’s arrival to 1.27 after Turner’s arrival, and his assist ratio has fallen from 25.3 pre-Turner to 19.1 post-Turner.

Sometimes the best moves you make are the ones you don't. I think it would of been better if they kept Granger for the rest of this season, tough to introduce a change to the team at such a late period.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#4 » by Knicks Universe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:16 pm

I think this was pretty obvious when the quote first came out. He is definitely bolting now this offseason.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#5 » by Arsilva » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 pm

This can work both ways in terms of Stephenson's future in Indiana. With all this maturity's issues, I can't see any team offering more than $5m/4years for him. During his peak this season, people were metioning a five figure contract for him.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#6 » by IMAN5 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 pm

very happy this dude wasn't voted as an all-star this year. selfish, immature, and overhyped. He's got game no doubt, but he's just an immature punk to me.
instagram.com/510movement
Combs84
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#7 » by Combs84 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Arsilva wrote:This can work both ways in terms of Stephenson's future in Indiana. With all this maturity's issues, I can't see any team offering more than $5m/4years for him. During his peak this season, people were metioning a five figure contract for him.

Uh, the guy is going to get at least 8 million a year. 4 years 34 millionish would be my guess.
Bryan Colangelo
Pro Prospect
And1: 702

Post#8 » by Bryan Colangelo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Remember last game vs toronto when he tried to do everythung by himself in the end and failed horribly... while west and george were getting hot he didn't pass the ball to them
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Around the all-star break Lance had built himself up into a highly coveted, well-rounded player on a contender who looked to command $10-12 million per year in free-agency this summer. Now 2 months later all the issues that initially scared people off of Lance in the first place have resurfaced and then some. Some people just can't get out of their own way.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Brovva Blaqq
Banned User
And1: 67

Post#10 » by Brovva Blaqq » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:22 pm

JR Smith Type of knucklehead
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#11 » by Donnyxc » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 pm

It's almost as if Lance took out his anger for not being an All Star on everybody else.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#12 » by Quotatious » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 pm

For some reason, I find it quite easy to believe that Stephenson is quite a bit of a headcase, and not an easy person to work with. He was actually suspended in high school for an alteraction with a teammate, and also had some off-court legal issues.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#13 » by Arsilva » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Quotatious wrote:For some reason, I find it quite easy to believe that Stephenson is quite a bit of a headcase, and not an easy person to work with. He was actually suspended in high school for an alteraction with a teammate, and also had some off-court legal issues.

It's important to consider in which environment he could be kept in check and thrive. Similar cases: Sprewell in NY and Minnesota, Stephen Jackson in San Antonio (only the first tenure), Rodman in Chicago with Phil Jackson. In all these cases, there was a (or several) Hof leadership.

So, maybe in LA, he could take some load off Kobe's legs, guarding the best perimeter players and running the floor.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Brovva Blaqq wrote:JR Smith Type of knucklehead

This is actually pretty accurate. They both have all-star level talent but it appears that neither of them have the maturity or common sense to put the entire package together. If you think they've turned the corner and finally figured it out they'll both likely do something shortly that changes that opinion.

The only difference is that Stephenson is still young enough that a team(s) will take a chance on him in hopes that he eventually matures. With Smith everyone has already given up on that ever happening.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
KingTdot
Senior
And1: 306

Post#15 » by KingTdot » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Donnyxc wrote:It's almost as if Lance took out his anger for not being an All Star on everybody else.

This will seperate him from all the other stars, their have been many snubbed players and you don't see them reacting like this. He needs to keep his ego in check, sure maybe he should have been an allstar but the way he is acting, no i don't think so.
philart
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by philart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
smeagolheart wrote:It is more likely he was referring to Turner's effect on Stephenson. Since Turner arrived and Turner started gunning, Stephensen has reduced passing. His assist-to-turnover ratio has dropped from 1.91 prior to Turner’s arrival to 1.27 after Turner’s arrival, and his assist ratio has fallen from 25.3 pre-Turner to 19.1 post-Turner.

Sometimes the best moves you make are the ones you don't. I think it would of been better if they kept Granger for the rest of this season, tough to introduce a change to the team at such a late period.

I agree. Stephenson had a huge role and was playing extremely well but they introduced a similar play to cut into his minutes. The Pacers could have done without the trade and held onto Granger as a spot up shooter and extra defender till his contract was up this year. They almost made the same mistake with Bynum cutting into Hibbert's minutes but of course Bynum couldn''t stay healthy. Stephenson is a knucklehead but he plays with a chip on his shoulder which is what teams need especially in the playoffs. Evan Turner just doesn't bring the energy the Stephenson brings.

That being said Stephenson would be a HUGE pick up for the Bulls if he keeps his head on straight.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm

fightfight... LOL
TheBenchMob
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#18 » by TheBenchMob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Hibberts suffering because of stephenson's playin so well he scores and gets a lot of boards and takes away some ball tome for roy

hibbert single handed destroyed my fantasy team this year while stephenson was getting well deserved points on a starting 5 who all require ball time but this is all gonna blow up in there face

lance don't care about the pacers he cares about that check and hes gonna cash in..... theyll move turner at SG or SF whatever position he leaves behind

and the Bulls won't sign lance there going after bigger fish they dont need lance stehpenson to handle the ball and average 7 rebounds

between dunleavy hinrich butler luol deng is he really that much of an upgrade?

im sure you guys have been keeping a close eye on the melo story.... and if you're watching the bulls wizards series right now do you think lance would have change the out come in any of those games?

Bulls need scoring not just a so/so guy don;t get me wrong i like lance and had high expectations for them this year but ....if bynum hibbert and lance continue this crap there doing

your gonan see the Brooklyn celtics and miami in the east and it will just be like 2 years ago...they gotta turn it aroudn and realize they have a legit shot to go to the finals and enough to beat the heat but....jerks will be jerks like that guy said JR smith knuckle head mentality
ThePacer31
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#19 » by ThePacer31 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:47 pm

We have a really good chance to win it all this year. Play every game like it's your last. Go Pacers!

Return to Wiretap Discussion