Committee Agrees To Move Forward With Termination Of Sterling's Ownership

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Committee Agrees To Move Forward With Termination Of Sterling's Ownership 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 1, 2014 10:52 pm

The NBA's advisory/finance committee has unanimously agreed to move forward to terminate Donald Sterling's ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.

They will move forward as expeditiously as possible and reconvene next week.

Via RealGM Staff Report

thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Re: Committee Agrees To Move Forward With Termination Of Ste 

Post#2 » by thegreenlife » Thu May 1, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm cool with this just as long as shady ass Magic Johnson doesn't get the team
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran
And1: 2,309

Post#3 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Fri May 2, 2014 2:00 am

Upon reading more into his history with clippers I came to conclusion this is one instance where he shouldn't have owned the team in the first place.

Bought the Clippers for 2m upfront & rest of 12.5m in installments.

Moved to LA without NBA's approval.

Extremely cheap owner who rarely extended/renewed lottery pick's contracts, this guy had nothing in mind but to make money out of this franchise, in the world where billionaires buy pro sport teams to win championships, not profit.

could you imagine something like that going down in modern NBA?
#FreeGuwop
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#4 » by jeffya2 » Fri May 2, 2014 3:12 am

thegreenlife wrote:I'm cool with this just as long as shady ass Magic Johnson doesn't get the team

Agreed. All of this coincidence with Johnson + Bimbet has just been magic
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#5 » by Shem » Fri May 2, 2014 4:32 am

thegreenlife wrote:I'm cool with this just as long as shady ass Magic Johnson doesn't get the team

I'll translate what it sounds like you're saying: "I'd rather have Donald Sterling be the owner than Magic Johnson."
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#6 » by The59Sound » Fri May 2, 2014 5:15 am

Shem wrote:

I'll translate what it sounds like you're saying: "I'd rather have Donald Sterling be the owner than Magic Johnson."

Awkwardly worded, but I don't think that's what he was getting at. I, too, hope Magic doesn't end up with the team, even though I'd prefer him (or anyone else who's not a rabid racist) over Sterling.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
Pukovnik
Senior
And1: 168

Post#7 » by Pukovnik » Fri May 2, 2014 7:32 am

Shem wrote:

Well your translator sucks...he obviously implied that Magic has been coming for the Clippers for some time, and now he sees his chance. He took advantage of the media, the fans and now his gunning for the Clippers. I'd rather see Oprah or Floyd Mayweather owning the team then Magic.
Shem
RealGM

Post#8 » by Shem » Fri May 2, 2014 11:15 am

Pukovnik wrote:
Shem wrote:

Well your translator sucks...he obviously implied that Magic has been coming for the Clippers for some time, and now he sees his chance. He took advantage of the media, the fans and now his gunning for the Clippers. I'd rather see Oprah or Floyd Mayweather owning the team then Magic.

Well, your comprehension needs some work. It's one thing to think something, it's another thing to try to say it. I shouldn't have to explain how the dialogue has been written that it sounds like the user only supports this if Magic doesn't get the Clippers. People sometimes need to learn how to express themselves. It creates less misunderstandings.
April 4, 2014:

Shem
RealGM

Post#9 » by Shem » Fri May 2, 2014 11:17 am

The59Sound wrote:
Shem wrote:

Awkwardly worded, but I don't think that's what he was getting at. I, too, hope Magic doesn't end up with the team, even though I'd prefer him (or anyone else who's not a rabid racist) over Sterling.

I don't think that either, but sometimes you need to point that sort of thing out because it could have been another topic there isn't as black and white as the Sterling issue has been and that could cause some issues with other users here just because he didn't explain his position better.
April 4, 2014:

Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Fri May 2, 2014 3:21 pm

Magic's probably getting the team. I mean, let's be real here.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#11 » by moofs » Fri May 2, 2014 4:13 pm

Shem wrote:
Pukovnik wrote:
Shem wrote:I'll translate what it sounds like you're saying: "I'd rather have Donald Sterling be the owner than Magic Johnson."

Well, your comprehension needs some work. It's one thing to think something, it's another thing to try to say it. I shouldn't have to explain how the dialogue has been written that it sounds like the user only supports this if Magic doesn't get the Clippers. People sometimes need to learn how to express themselves. It creates less misunderstandings.

An alternative, equally direct translation is "Magic Johnson isn't exactly an improvement".
Yeah, he's no racist, but from what I know of his business model, he doesn't seem to be upstanding or practice fair competition. The potential threat that racists pose to fair market transactions is one of the major reasons that their businesses shouldn't be supported. Given Magic's extremely questionable business history, he appears to have strong probability of being a potential threat as well. Hence, "he's no better" because he still poses a threat and "I wouldn't be cool with this if he got it" as such because the situation didn't really improve. It's a reflection of a very negative opinion of Magic rather than any positive opinion of Sterling.

I personally don't think it's a coincidence that this happened just a few months into Silver's reign and that the causative event involved Magic.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor

Return to Wiretap Discussion