Rockets Undecided On Exercising Parsons' Option Or Declining To Work On Long-Term Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rockets Undecided On Exercising Parsons' Option Or Declining To Work On Long-Term Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 5, 2014 3:09 am

The Houston Rockets are undecided on whether they will exercise or decline the team option on Chandler Parsons' contract.

By declining the option, the Rockets can work on a long-term deal with Parsons as a restricted free agent as opposed to dealing with him becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2015.

“We won’t know everything we need to know when we have to make a decision on on Chandler’s (contract) option," Daryl Morey said. "We have to make the best decision at the time we have to make it (June 29).”

Parsons averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4 assists this season.

Via Jonathan Feigen/Houston Chronicle

Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Re: Rockets Undecided On Exercising Parsons' Option Or Decli 

Post#2 » by Brianmas23 » Mon May 5, 2014 7:24 am

I mean the guy basically blew Dwight to get him to come to Houston, you can atleast pay the guy..
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#3 » by RoyalMajesty » Mon May 5, 2014 7:59 am

Pick up the team option on Chandler Parsons for the 2014-2015 season because it's less than $1 mil and it helps out the Rockets salary cap. Then work out on a contract extension for Chandler Parsons before the 2014-2015 regular season starts. Kind of similar to the NFL where they put the franchise tag on their one player in order to keep him off the free agency market to work out a long term contract. Maybe the Rockets should approach it that way.
HeatRing2012
Bench Warmer
And1: 291

Post#4 » by HeatRing2012 » Mon May 5, 2014 9:12 am

RoyalMajesty wrote:Pick up the team option on Chandler Parsons for the 2014-2015 season because it's less than $1 mil and it helps out the Rockets salary cap. Then work out on a contract extension for Chandler Parsons before the 2014-2015 regular season starts. Kind of similar to the NFL where they put the franchise tag on their one player in order to keep him off the free agency market to work out a long term contract. Maybe the Rockets should approach it that way.

when was the last time an about-to-hit-free-agent signed an extension during his last year? basically sacrificing the extra year and money on a regular contract?
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#5 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon May 5, 2014 9:54 am

Brianmas23 wrote:I mean the guy basically blew Dwight to get him to come to Houston, you can atleast pay the guy..

it's a business. We'll dump him for Melo if we can.
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#6 » by Gannet » Mon May 5, 2014 2:54 pm

HeatRing2012 wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:Pick up the team option on Chandler Parsons for the 2014-2015 season because it's less than $1 mil and it helps out the Rockets salary cap. Then work out on a contract extension for Chandler Parsons before the 2014-2015 regular season starts. Kind of similar to the NFL where they put the franchise tag on their one player in order to keep him off the free agency market to work out a long term contract. Maybe the Rockets should approach it that way.

when was the last time an about-to-hit-free-agent signed an extension during his last year? basically sacrificing the extra year and money on a regular contract?

It might be a good hedge to just pick up the team option, because 1) he's not super young (going to be 27 by the end next season), which leads 2) he could be in decline by then, and locking him in long term could backfire. And 3) the Rockets might be better off with a defensive-minded 3. His stats look good but are hyperinflated from the current Rockets' offense.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#7 » by GreenRiddler » Mon May 5, 2014 3:30 pm

HE is too much of a volume shooter. They need a 3 and D guy to pair with Harden and Iggy, Batum or Deng type. If they sign him they'll never get far as he is already 26.
ratmrocks89
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#8 » by ratmrocks89 » Mon May 5, 2014 5:03 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:HE is too much of a volume shooter. They need a 3 and D guy to pair with Harden and Iggy, Batum or Deng type. If they sign him they'll never get far as he is already 26.

good point.
PastyRasta
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by PastyRasta » Mon May 5, 2014 7:02 pm

it's a business. We'll dump him for Melo if we can.[/quote]

Good luck with that. Letting Parsons go and bringing in Melo would be a huge mistake IMO. Melo is not a team player at all and regardless of what he says he wouldn't take a lesser role in Houston, play good defense and make his teammates better. He's a me first selfish player.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#10 » by Arsilva » Mon May 5, 2014 7:19 pm

PastyRasta wrote:it's a business. We'll dump him for Melo if we can.

Good luck with that. Letting Parsons go and bringing in Melo would be a huge mistake IMO. Melo is not a team player at all and regardless of what he says he wouldn't take a lesser role in Houston, play good defense and make his teammates better. He's a me first selfish player.[/quote]

Melo is the competitive leader they need....Howard and Harden aren't and don't want to be leaders...the first, wants to laugh all the time...the second, doesn't want to talk to anybody.
Weaksauce
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Weaksauce » Mon May 5, 2014 8:01 pm

Arsilva wrote:
Good luck with that. Letting Parsons go and bringing in Melo would be a huge mistake IMO. Melo is not a team player at all and regardless of what he says he wouldn't take a lesser role in Houston, play good defense and make his teammates better. He's a me first selfish player.

Couldn't agree more. Melo is not the answer to this team. He and Harden are both first-option scorers, so I really don't see how it'd work, especially in crunch time when it comes down to the last shot of the game. Too much one-on-one and lack of defense. Surely, one or both would not be happy in that situation. Now that Harden has assumed the role of "superstar", he won't concede to Melo. And same goes for Melo. Since he's come into the league, his numbers are relatively unchanged. Every year he puts up 25, 7, 3. Despite his talk about changing his game and buy into Phil Jackson's philosophy, I highly doubt it. If the two were the only star players on the team, just maybe it could work somehow. But couple with Dwight, there's no way. I know Parsons' shot selection seemed horrendous, but he actually shot better from the field than Melo to my surprise, 47% to 45%, while adding an assist more per game.

I might as well bring up the position of PG while I'm at it. Harden commands the ball almost every position and often assumes the role of PG. That's why I believe any PG who comes to Houston will see a dip in their numbers and won't be happy playing there. I think Beverly is as good as it gets. Not a known passer or anyone who needs to handle the ball regularly, but someone who is defensive-minded and who will get out of the way on offense for Harden. This especially goes for someone like Rondo. I just don't see it.
Thomps
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#12 » by Thomps » Mon May 5, 2014 8:53 pm

Keep Parsons because he is cheap/good value. Next year after Parsons is up try for KD as a FA, HOU might have a legit chance at him if OKC's title run doesnt work out, I could see him moving to play with his good friend Harden alongside Dwight.

Screw Melo, he is expensive and will only ruin the team. Bad Investment right there.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#13 » by mawbsta » Mon May 5, 2014 9:56 pm

...yeah because he missed the biggest assignment of his career and Lillard dropped a wide open series-clinching 3pter on his head.

I would take some to consider his place on this team as well.

Return to Wiretap Discussion