Knicks Have Tried To Avoid Overpaying Steve Kerr

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Knicks Have Tried To Avoid Overpaying Steve Kerr 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm

The New York Knicks and Steve Kerr are moving closer to a deal for him to become their next head coach.

A deal has been slow to materialize as the Knicks have been slow to overpay Kerr in terms of deal length and salary.

The Knicks have tried to treat Kerr more like a first-time coach.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Re: Knicks Have Tried To Avoid Overpaying Steve Kerr 

Post#2 » by MaxRider » Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

can't really treat him as first time coach when there are 3 teams trying to hire him
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#3 » by smeagolheart » Mon May 12, 2014 4:40 pm

The Knicks are known to throw around money like fools, there's no use penny pinching now.

It's like if Bill Gates orders a pizza he's not going to get it for blue collar price, someone's going to try to rip him off because he's bill gates and everybody knows he can afford it.

If you flash your wallet full of hundreds you ain't going to get no bargain.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#4 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon May 12, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't know if this is the Phil effect or what, but what is the hype about? Is this guy really that golden all of a sudden? There must be some secret to coaching that no one else has figured out if all these teams want to sign him...
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#5 » by BallerTalk » Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 pm

smeagolheart wrote:It's like if Bill Gates orders a pizza he's not going to get it for blue collar price, someone's going to try to rip him off because he's bill gates and everybody knows he can afford it..

Wait, so Bill Gates pays a different price for his Veggie Lovers than I do?
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:41 pm

MaxRider wrote:can't really treat him as first time coach when there are 3 teams trying to hire him

The question is, "are there really?". The GM of the Warriors is one of his BFF's. Him allowing Kerr to use their name in rumors wouldn't be surprising. What would be surprising is that his buddy and (more importantly) the owner of the Warriors willing to actually go with a rookie head coach. Yes, yes, Kerr MAY be more controllable than Mark Jackson was but let's be serious, the Warriors are facing a mini-revolt in the locker room with a good portion of the team not happy about the firing one bit and half their fan base also is worked up about it. The best way to resolve both is to hire a big name head coach that has proven he can win (more than Jackson has). And that person is Stan Van Gundy. And especially if Kerr is looking for 5 years and $30 million. I can't see the Warriors ownership giving him anything close to that at all. Lacob may be many things, but a moron I don't think is one of them. He isn't going to have Phil Jackson to back his (triangle like) system up in GS and the success rates of Jackson acolytes on their own head coaching gig has hardly been good.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#7 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

lol since when was this ever an issue for the Knicks? It doesn't even count against the cap.

Anyways, if they truly feel this way, Phil must already be lining up a Plan B hire.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Post#8 » by Calinks » Mon May 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:I don't know if this is the Phil effect or what, but what is the hype about? Is this guy really that golden all of a sudden? There must be some secret to coaching that no one else has figured out if all these teams want to sign him...

Exactly I dont get it. I think there is just hype just because they are New York. They could be targeting Pee-Wee Herman and hype articles would be written. "Knicks extremely close to inking historical deal with Herman and his devastating playhouse offense!"
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
smeagolheart
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#9 » by smeagolheart » Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 pm

BallerTalk wrote:
smeagolheart wrote:It's like if Bill Gates orders a pizza he's not going to get it for blue collar price, someone's going to try to rip him off because he's bill gates and everybody knows he can afford it..

If you and Bill gates called Pizza Customizations and ordered a custom pizza you would pay less than bill gates.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,105

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:49 pm

CHAMPi0N wrote:lol since when was this ever an issue for the Knicks? It doesn't even count against the cap.

Anyways, if they truly feel this way, Phil must already be lining up a Plan B hire.

I'm assuming a lot of this is the media getting carried away with the plots and sub-plots. But can't hurt asking for the sun and the moon if you were Kerr. It may also show a bit of Phil Jackson's inexperience as a GM. Regardless of whether you really want a guy or not, never make it seem like you are desperate for him and that anyone is your "no.1 choice".
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#11 » by anatomicbomb » Mon May 12, 2014 5:53 pm

smeagolheart wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

If you and Bill gates called Pizza Customizations and ordered a custom pizza you would pay less than bill gates.

Or, Gates gets his pizza free because he might eventually, or does now, endorse that brand.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#12 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon May 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Uhh lmao maybe because he is a first time head coach? Knicks gotta stop that train at some point. Agents just start drooling when they hear Knicks.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#13 » by TheSamMitchell » Mon May 12, 2014 6:32 pm

smeagolheart wrote:The Knicks are known to throw around money like fools, there's no use penny pinching now.

It's like if Bill Gates orders a pizza he's not going to get it for blue collar price, someone's going to try to rip him off because he's bill gates and everybody knows he can afford it.

If you flash your wallet full of hundreds you ain't going to get no bargain.

True, and now that Kerr has leverage I wouldn't doubt that the knicks pay him
Stylin_on_You
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Stylin_on_You » Mon May 12, 2014 7:28 pm

I think we should use the term rookie coach loosely with Kerr until we see him in action. Kerr obviously knows basketball. I am sure he will be respected by the players and I am sure he can articulate his message across to the players very well.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#15 » by Thugger HBC » Mon May 12, 2014 7:31 pm

smeagolheart wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

I would bet Bill gates wouldnt pay at all, that company would likely hand it over for free just to get the publicity.

I really hope you think think big time famous folks pay MORE for common stuff....usually it's comped to them.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#16 » by BallerTalk » Mon May 12, 2014 7:52 pm

smeagolheart wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

Why do you think that?
Is there a special "Bill Gates" price on extra pepperoni?
Does he get his pizza cost quoted while the rest of us pay menu price?

To the original article; as some have already suggested, I believe much of this is smoke and mirrors intended to goad the Knicks into bidding against themselves.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Brovva Blaqq
Banned User
And1: 67

Post#17 » by Brovva Blaqq » Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 pm

2yrs 5mil would be a decent offer - its the Knicks after all, if he performs well they will pay him accordingly anyway. Those numbers floating around the internets are just insane.
bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#18 » by bockingknickers » Mon May 12, 2014 9:59 pm

The knicks are the richest sports franchise in america, top down screamin out money aint a thang.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#19 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 pm

"have tried to treat Kerr like a first year coach".......

What part of "dude you never coached in your life" does Kerr not understand. I know for a fact that the right people from great teams make great coaches. Hornacek is a shining example of a great basketball mind who played for a championship contender team, getting a rookie HC deal, and blowing peoples minds. Kerr might also do this, he seems to have the makings like Hornacek did.

Kerr will probably do great and probably make playoffs with Melo, but it is foolish just to assume Knicks to be contender just because they have Kerr, and then just pay him the money of a championship contender coach off assumption.

I would only give him a standard rookie HC salary, and then when he makes the playoffs give him the salary he thinks he deserves.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#20 » by RaptorRed » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 pm

smeagolheart wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

Lol your Bill Gates post is probably one of the stupidest posts I've read on RealGM. You can't seriously think Bill Gates gets charged more for pizza :lol: :lol: Not only is that illegal and will never happen, but Gates would not agree to it even if it was the case. Most rich people are cheap , and even if you have a lot of money , no one likes to be made a fool , they will not overpay for anything. They might give you a big tip , but that's a different story. Anyways, try and think before you post next time.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."

Return to Wiretap Discussion