Greivis Vasquez: Durant Will Have Statues Outside ACC

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Greivis Vasquez: Durant Will Have Statues Outside ACC 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Greivis Vasquez was teammates with Kevin Durant in high school at Montrose Christian in Maryland.

"Hopefully I get to play with him one day in the NBA and hopefully it's here in Toronto," said Vasquez on Toronto radio on Monday.

Durant is a free agent in 2016 and he grew up a fan of the Toronto Raptors during the Vince Carter era.

Vasquez, who is a free agent this offseason, talked about Durant again on Tuesday with Bryan Hayes of TSN 1050.

Hayes: "It was announced 'Raptors Day' on Monday here in Toronto, and you guys just got to the first round. What do you think the city would be like if you ever won a title here?"

Vasquez: "Well, imagine if we get KD, Kevin Durant, 2016."

Hayes: "That's your guy, too, right?"

Vasquez: "And he'll lead us to a championship."

Hayes: "Are you calling your shot right now, Kevin Durant coming to Toronto?"

Vasquez: "I think he'll have statues right outside the ACC."

Hayes: "And where's your statue going to be?"

Vasquez: "It's OK. It could be back in the locker room, it could be in Venezuela. As long as I win a championship with KD, that'll be an amazing feeling. So hopefully that happens."

Vasquez spoke glowingly about Toronto during his exit interview following the Raptors' season.

Via James Herbert/CBS Sports

AI
RealGM
And1: 280

Re: Greivis Vasquez: Durant Will Have Statues Outside ACC 

Post#2 » by AI » Tue May 13, 2014 10:55 pm

A bit forward, aren't we Greivis? No chance KD is headed to Toronto. IMO, Durant either stays in OKC or heads to Washington D.C. to play with Wall and Beal.
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#3 » by ybnd » Tue May 13, 2014 10:57 pm

The only possible destinations are washington and toronto if he decides to leave OKC....If Westbrook leaves KD will stay
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#4 » by Son Goku 25 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:07 pm

Lebron and Durant to Toronto 8-)
Read
hoopnharm
Banned User
And1: 23

Post#5 » by hoopnharm » Tue May 13, 2014 11:31 pm

he's talking candidly on a talk show about his friend from high school, not sure what's so serious abt it
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,187

Post#6 » by chuckdevlin » Wed May 14, 2014 1:41 am

KD-TDOT 2016
Retire Joey Graham's Number in the ACC #letsgooo #whatnumber?
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#7 » by 15th overall » Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 am

Not fair to Raptors fans, some of them are gonna actually believe there's a chance of this happening.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Wed May 14, 2014 3:36 am

ms25 wrote:Lebron and Durant to Toronto 8-)

The velociraptor will return from extinction before that idea even crosses their minds. :lol:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#9 » by LieCheatSteal » Wed May 14, 2014 4:12 am

Vasquez might not even stay in Toronto.

This is dumb.
Two years from being two years away.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,854

Post#10 » by nikster » Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 am

Biz Gilwalker wrote:
ms25 wrote:Lebron and Durant to Toronto 8-)

The velociraptor will return from extinction before that idea even crosses their minds. :lol:

Durant was a long time Raptors fan, and has a connection with Vasquez. Of course its not likely, but it seems just as viable as any other team not named OKC
mjw9191
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#11 » by mjw9191 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:21 am

ybnd wrote:The only possible destinations are washington and toronto if he decides to leave OKC....If Westbrook leaves KD will stay

Get a clue man. KD's free agency will be every team in the NBA courting him. He'll damn well go wherever he pleases
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#12 » by CHAMPi0N » Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am

Okay... Let's not get carried away. Toronto Raptors finally relevant again this year after making the playoffs and these stupid rumours come up again lol.

Let's see what Ujiri does this summer before we look ahead to 2016. It would be insane if KD left OKC. I just can't see it right now. By the way I said the same thing about Lebron pre-decision. Boy was I wrong :roll:
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#13 » by ybnd » Wed May 14, 2014 12:39 pm

mjw9191 wrote:
ybnd wrote:The only possible destinations are washington and toronto if he decides to leave OKC....If Westbrook leaves KD will stay

Get a clue man. KD's free agency will be every team in the NBA courting him. He'll damn well go wherever he pleases

Right and where he pleaes will be one of three teams....Toronto DC or OKC....the 3 LOGICAL options
star_bury
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#14 » by star_bury » Wed May 14, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm not sure why those are the three "LOGICAL" choices. What about a team with a great history? What about a team in a nice location? What about a team with favourable tax laws? The ties to Toronto (and Washington) seem tenuous at best.

I'd assume OKC is the #1 choice. #3 would be Milwaukee, Minnesota, Charlotte, Philly and Utah. Everyone else is #2.

Of course, he may well avoid certain teams due to players or coaches he's not happy with or a variety of other factors I'm not privy to. It's a bloody guessing game until HE actually says something.
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#15 » by 10acious » Wed May 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Greivis, you are delusional. There will first be a statue of you outside ACC: a statue of limitations...LOL
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#16 » by Tdot24 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Just another case of people reading too much into what comes out of the media. Vasquez is just day dreaming, that's all it is. He's not saying it'll actually happen..

You guys need to take a break from the internet. Everything is taken too literally.
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#17 » by burritoKURUMA » Wed May 14, 2014 3:00 pm

star_bury wrote:I'm not sure why those are the three "LOGICAL" choices. What about a team with a great history? What about a team in a nice location? What about a team with favourable tax laws? The ties to Toronto (and Washington) seem tenuous at best.

Toronto is tenuous for sure, but I can see Washington potentially being a strong suitor when the time rolls around. Durant was born in DC and the team has some nice young pieces.

Of course, you're right that it's a guessing game, though. 2016 is a ways away, and anything could change the landscape.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#18 » by Roland Brice » Wed May 14, 2014 3:32 pm

star_bury wrote:I'm not sure why those are the three "LOGICAL" choices. What about a team with a great history? What about a team in a nice location? What about a team with favourable tax laws? The ties to Toronto (and Washington) seem tenuous at best.

I'd assume OKC is the #1 choice. #3 would be Milwaukee, Minnesota, Charlotte, Philly and Utah. Everyone else is #2.

Of course, he may well avoid certain teams due to players or coaches he's not happy with or a variety of other factors I'm not privy to. It's a bloody guessing game until HE actually says something.

You need to learn what logic means. Just because a team is in a nice location or has a great history doesn't mean they have an upper hand. It's about the individual player. I can't hate the cold weather in Toronto, but it's no different from places like New York, Minnesota, Detroit, etc. However, my favorite team is the Raptors and I'd love the chance to play here if I were a free agent. The same logic can be applied to Durant with Washington. As for Toronto, this was his team growing up so arguing that he'd like to play for his favorite team isn't tenuous at all.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#19 » by Donnyxc » Wed May 14, 2014 5:22 pm

AI wrote:A bit forward, aren't we Greivis? No chance KD is headed to Toronto. IMO, Durant either stays in OKC or heads to Washington D.C. to play with Wall and Beal.

More like, a bit forward with your avatar ;)
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
hardwoodk1ng
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#20 » by hardwoodk1ng » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Can't forget the Drake and KD connection...

Return to Wiretap Discussion