Jazz To Contact John Stockton About Head Coaching Vacancy

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jazz To Contact John Stockton About Head Coaching Vacancy 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 14, 2014 4:11 am

The Utah Jazz will contact John Stockton to see if he has any interest in their head coaching vacancy, according to sources.

The Jazz will have an extensive search with as many as 20 candidates.

Stockton has no previous coaching experience and has been reluctant of the sort of spotlight associated with the job.

The Jazz dismissed Ty Corbin in April.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,221

Re: Jazz To Contact John Stockton About Head Coaching Vacanc 

Post#2 » by God Squad » Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am

Would be epic if he signed. One of my favourite/underrated players of the past.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#3 » by CHAMPi0N » Wed May 14, 2014 10:40 am

God Squad wrote:Would be epic if he signed. One of my favourite/underrated players of the past.

Probably Utah's best option for the long-term. He's in the rafters and could now be on the bench... Definitely a smart move if the GM pulls the trigger. For the first time in a while might I add.
kingcns187
Senior
And1: 648

Post#4 » by kingcns187 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:56 am

wwould love to see stockton back, definitely one of my fave players during the air jordan era
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#5 » by Quotatious » Wed May 14, 2014 12:49 pm

I think he could really become a great coach, but I'd like it if he worked as an assistant for a year or two before becoming a head coach. Anyway, if he's going to coach, I'd only like to see him coaching the Jazz, not any other team, and if there's a chance for it this year, I'd like him to go for it. I see no reason why he wouldn't be as successful as his former teammate Jeff Hornacek in this role.
I just think that assistant expierience might be useful, especially if he's going to coach a young, inexpierienced team like the Jazz. That being said, former longtime star point guards often become pretty solid head coaches (or at least manage to stick around in the league for quite a few years) - Doc Rivers, Terry Porter, recently Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd...

Stockton's basketball intelligence was almost second to none, and he was a guy who had to work hard for his success, wasn't a star in the league right away unlike many other all-time greats, so I think he would be able to communicate with his players pretty well and appreciate the work they put into their development.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#6 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed May 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Next Jerry Sloan - its been called here. How to make your NBA/Jazz legacy even better? By become a long-term coach of the same team you made relevant during your playing career. Would be cool to see!
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#7 » by WesleyExChiFan » Wed May 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:Next Jerry Sloan - its been called here. How to make your NBA/Jazz legacy even better? By become a long-term coach of the same team you made relevant during your playing career. Would be cool to see!
not sure what you mean? Jerry Sloan was a Bull.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#8 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed May 14, 2014 3:24 pm

wesleybullsfan wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Next Jerry Sloan - its been called here. How to make your NBA/Jazz legacy even better? By become a long-term coach of the same team you made relevant during your playing career. Would be cool to see!

I mean, Stockton seems like a guy who would be the coach of a single team for 20+ years...and have successful periods during that tenure as well. It just worked out that he played for that same team his entire career.
Championships
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Championships » Wed May 14, 2014 4:27 pm

I don't think he'd want the spotlight, but if he does it'd be good to see another guard turned head coach have coaching success.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,218

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 am

God Squad wrote:Would be epic if he signed. One of my favourite/underrated players of the past.

Underrated by who? He is what any PG should aspire to be. He holds the NBA's record for most career assists (15,806) by a margin of more than 3,000, as well as the record for most career steals (3,265). He had five of the top six assists seasons in NBA history. He missed only 23 games during his career, 18 of them in one season. He played in 38 games where he tallied 20 or more assists.

None of that will make him a good coach, though.
stdavidmc
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by stdavidmc » Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 am

All you guys dubbing Stockton as the next Jerry Sloane are the same dudes complaining "why is Steve Kerr getting so much attention?" Regardless though I think Stockton would be a great option for the Jazz. Not only does he have a strong basketball IQ and understand the game but he's just the man. :nod:
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,221

Post#12 » by God Squad » Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

Underrated by who? He is what any PG should aspire to be. He holds the NBA's record for most career assists (15,806) by a margin of more than 3,000, as well as the record for most career steals (3,265). He had five of the top six assists seasons in NBA history. He missed only 23 games during his career, 18 of them in one season. He played in 38 games where he tallied 20 or more assists.

None of that will make him a good coach, though.

When people talk about Jordan Era people talk about

Bulls legacy
Detriot Pistons
Jordans clutch shots
Dominique vs Jordan

IMO Stockton and Karl are very much underrated for not "Winning" a championship.
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#13 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun May 25, 2014 6:55 am

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
wesleybullsfan wrote:

I mean, Stockton seems like a guy who would be the coach of a single team for 20+ years...and have successful periods during that tenure as well. It just worked out that he played for that same team his entire career.
got it. I agree completely.

Return to Wiretap Discussion