Phil Jackson Likely To Pursue Younger Head Coach He Can Mentor

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Phil Jackson Likely To Pursue Younger Head Coach He Can Mentor 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 pm

The New York Knicks will likely pursue a young head coach that Phil Jackson has previously worked with and whom he can mentor following Steve Kerr's decision to accept the Golden State Warriors' head coaching position.

Tyronn Lue, Derek Fisher, Luke Walton and Mark Madsen have been mentioned as possibilities.

The Knicks could also go a member of Jackson's coaching tree that has previous head coaching experience in Kurt Rambis or Brian Shaw.

Shaw was Jackson's longtime preferred successor with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 636

Re: Phil Jackson Likely To Pursue Younger Head Coach He Can  

Post#2 » by tsirigoj » Thu May 15, 2014 8:02 pm

PJax LOVED Luke Walton. Don't be surprised if you see him in at, the very least, Lead Assistant Coach position.
True_Laker_Fan
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#3 » by True_Laker_Fan » Thu May 15, 2014 8:04 pm

I think Kurt Rambis would be a natural fit for the Knicks being that Brian Shaw has a gig in Denver and is not likely to lose his job. I was expecting this move a long time ago and was surprised he didn't consider the move sooner
Moose10Fan
Veteran
And1: 2,551

Post#4 » by Moose10Fan » Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 pm

weird if it was Walton, a 34 year old head coach?
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#5 » by MaxRider » Thu May 15, 2014 8:20 pm

lue i guess
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#6 » by Leto » Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 pm

That's not a move you make if you're trying to compete. It's a rebuilding move. I wonder if they're thinking of just trading Melo if they can?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#7 » by Marty McFly » Thu May 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Leto wrote:That's not a move you make if you're trying to compete. It's a rebuilding move. I wonder if they're thinking of just trading Melo if they can?

it's an option. An option that depends on what Melo's going to do.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#8 » by 10acious » Thu May 15, 2014 8:29 pm

True_Laker_Fan wrote:I think Kurt Rambis would be a natural fit for the Knicks being that Brian Shaw has a gig in Denver and is not likely to lose his job. I was expecting this move a long time ago and was surprised he didn't consider the move sooner

With Kurt Rambis, the Knicks certainly would not attract Kevin Love after the fiasco in Minnesota.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#9 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Bring on the White Mamba!!! Or maybe even Derek Fisher once the OKC get knocked out of the playoffs.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#10 » by Scalabrine » Thu May 15, 2014 8:45 pm

Leto wrote:That's not a move you make if you're trying to compete. It's a rebuilding move. I wonder if they're thinking of just trading Melo if they can?

Brooklyn signed Jason Kidd and then traded all their draft picks for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. If whoever gets hired is a good coach experience doesnt really matter...
Go Knicks!
defmut
Senior
And1: 24

Post#11 » by defmut » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

I would say D Fish but he still has a couple more playing seasons in him. Perhaps a player/coach? :nod:
"I don't want to be in a box." –Gar
ThePacer31
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#12 » by ThePacer31 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Phil Jackson is one of the most overrated coaches in the league history. Plain and simple. When you have Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaq, 3 of the most dominant players from 1990-2010, there is no excuse not to win rings.

Real question is, has he ever coached a team that did not future the top two players of all time? No.
What happened when he had Kobe, Shaq, Malone & Gary Payton? Oh yes, he lost to the Pistons!!! Their best player was Chauncey Billups! That's a joke. btw, they lost in 5. another btw, the one game they won, Kobe hit a lucky shot or they would've been swept.

What happened the two yeras Jordan retired? A Finals appearance? A ECF appearance?

Please coach a team that doesn't have the leagues top two players and see where he ends up.

I"m not saying he's a bad coach, but he's far from a top 5 all time coach.

With all that said, the Knicks have not made a good decision since drafting Patrick Ewing. Why would you bring this guy in? What has he proven? Good luck for another decade or two as I really see the Nets winning a title before the Knicks.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#13 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm

You mean a puppet head coach? ahaha!
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#14 » by imDatknicksTape » Thu May 15, 2014 9:59 pm

ThePacer31 wrote:Phil Jackson is one of the most overrated coaches in the league history. Plain and simple. When you have Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaq, 3 of the most dominant players from 1990-2010, there is no excuse not to win rings.

Real question is, has he ever coached a team that did not future the top two players of all time? No.
What happened when he had Kobe, Shaq, Malone & Gary Payton? Oh yes, he lost to the Pistons!!! Their best player was Chauncey Billups! That's a joke. btw, they lost in 5. another btw, the one game they won, Kobe hit a lucky shot or they would've been swept.

What happened the two yeras Jordan retired? A Finals appearance? A ECF appearance?

Please coach a team that doesn't have the leagues top two players and see where he ends up.

With all that said, the Knicks have not made a good decision since drafting Patrick Ewing. Why would you bring this guy in? What has he proven? Good luck for another decade or two as I really see the Nets winning a title before the Knicks.

T00 much butt.hurt in this comment. u mad lakers owned ur sorry team in 2000? get off PJ's nuts bro. point to me where the pacers NBA titles are?
BallDontLie_
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#15 » by BallDontLie_ » Thu May 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Out of all these guys I'd take Tyronn Lue probably
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,940

Post#16 » by Anticon » Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Really Tyronn Lue and Luke Walton? That's who you look to build your team?

Maybe they could have Rick Fox, Horace Grant and BJ Armstrong as assistant coaches. What a joke.
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 333

Post#17 » by bullsaficianado » Thu May 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Vinny Del Negro? I think he is a decent coach and Phil can mentor him, both Bulls and Clippers made the playoffs with him as head coach.
bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#18 » by bockingknickers » Thu May 15, 2014 11:56 pm

BallDontLie_ wrote:Out of all these guys I'd take Tyronn Lue probably

terrible choice but your profile pic is the background on my computer so nothing but love for ya
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#19 » by CHAMPi0N » Fri May 16, 2014 12:09 am

DID SOMEBODY SAY MARK MADSEN?

ThePacer31
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#20 » by ThePacer31 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:11 am

imDatknicksTape wrote:
ThePacer31 wrote:Phil Jackson is one of the most overrated coaches in the league history. Plain and simple. When you have Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaq, 3 of the most dominant players from 1990-2010, there is no excuse not to win rings.

T00 much butt.hurt in this comment. u mad lakers owned ur sorry team in 2000? get off PJ's nuts bro. point to me where the pacers NBA titles are?

LMAO. We have a small market team and we still have more success than yours. How can you have the "greatest city" in the world and this garbage you call a basketball team? The Knicks are the Clippers of the west. Pure garbage. Unacceptable.

Return to Wiretap Discussion