Derek Fisher Emerges As Leading Candidate For Knicks' Opening

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Derek Fisher Emerges As Leading Candidate For Knicks' Opening 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Derek Fisher is emerging as the leading candidate for the New York Knicks' head coaching vacancy.

Fisher won five NBA titles under Phil Jackson with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Jackson’s plan would be to assemble an experienced staff around Fisher that could include Kurt Rambis and Bill Cartwright.

Fisher said on Thursday night that he had yet to be contacted by the Knicks, according to The Oklahoman.

Via Frank Isola/New York Daily News

CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Re: Derek Fisher Emerges As Leading Candidate For Knicks' Op 

Post#2 » by CHAMPi0N » Fri May 16, 2014 12:56 pm

It's hard to take this seriously given he's playing right now... lol.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri May 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Pretty obvious choice after Kerr - just wondering if he wants to keep playing or not. Maybe he will retire and go into coaching if the OKC win a championship this year :)
da1cliq
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#4 » by da1cliq » Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Phil needs to make sure he keep his mouth shut... And that means no sound bytes, no quotes.... and IMO.. Phil should coach for 1 year and Fisher should be head coach the next season.. Hire Fisher as an assistant first year....
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Fri May 16, 2014 1:35 pm

I guess Fisher will be going to the Cav's now.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm

So in the same year the entire league realized what a mistake it was for the Net's to hire a freshly retired player with no coaching experience, New York's other team is poised to make the exact same mistake.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
TheHottestHand
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#7 » by TheHottestHand » Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 pm

KEEM GETTIN DEM CHEQUES DEREK!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,127

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 pm

The_Hater wrote:So in the same year the entire league realized what a mistake it was for the Net's to hire a freshly retired player with no coaching experience, New York's other team is poised to make the exact same mistake.

Because clearly everyone is the same.
WVSArtist
Pro Prospect
And1: 461

Post#9 » by WVSArtist » Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 pm

The_Hater wrote:So in the same year the entire league realized what a mistake it was for the Net's to hire a freshly retired player with no coaching experience, New York's other team is poised to make the exact same mistake.

They made the playoffs and won a series in said playoffs. Not much of a mistake.
Thanks you for the memories:
Coach Phil Jackson, Shaquille ONeal, Kobe Bryant, Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol, Meta World Peace, Trevor Ariza, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, Glen Rice, Antawn Jamison, Ronny Turif, Jordan Farmer
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#10 » by Duffman100 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:25 pm

...and Thunder fans have never been happier.
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#11 » by 10acious » Fri May 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Jackson is not going to coach again due to physical limitations. But he can be available to the coaches he trusts as a mentor. I really see Fish and Kerr as interchangeable as far as what Jackson wants to accomplish with the triangle. Both have excellent people skills relating to NBA players. Actually, Fish might be better than Kerr as Kerr seems to have attained superstar status and the ego to go with it.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,833

Post#12 » by nikster » Fri May 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Jason Kidd didnt do that bad. Second round appearance in the playoffs in just his first season despite missing Lopez the entire season
The_Hater

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Fri May 16, 2014 2:53 pm

WVSArtist wrote:

They made the playoffs and won a series in said playoffs. Not much of a mistake.

They won 44 game in the JV conference which was 5 less then the year before, that's a total that would have missed the playoffs in the west. This despite making a huge trade and several free-agent additions that had the team thinking they were a legit title contender during the pre-season.

One would have to completely erase history to put a positive spin on the Net's season.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#14 » by pylb » Fri May 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Fisher's going to make a terrible head coach. :lol:
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#15 » by ak7 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:38 pm

The_Hater wrote:
WVSArtist wrote:

They won 44 game in the JV conference which was 5 less then the year before, that's a total that would have missed the playoffs in the west. This despite making a huge trade and several free-agent additions that had the team thinking they were a legit title contender during the pre-season.

One would have to completely erase history to put a positive spin on the Net's season.

Or realize that they played most of the season without their best player. What is with some people here?
The_Hater

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Fri May 16, 2014 3:51 pm

LakeShowAK7 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
WVSArtist wrote:

Or realize that they played most of the season without their best player. What is with some people here?

The Nets were 7-10 with Lopez in the lineup this year. Not exactly on pace for the 55+ games they expected to win.

Are people really defending the job Jason Kidd did this year? He was a disaster.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#17 » by BirdmanPresents » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm

The_Hater wrote:
LakeShowAK7 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

The Nets were 7-10 with Lopez in the lineup this year. Not exactly on pace for the 55+ games they expected to win.

Are people really defending the job Jason Kidd did this year? He was a disaster.

They also had a horrifically bad start which is understandable with a rookie head coach, but Kidd turned things around pretty well given the circumstances. I think that's the point everyone is seeing and you're missing.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#18 » by ak7 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 pm

The_Hater wrote:
LakeShowAK7 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

You mean to tell me that a team with a new identity, new system, new roster and new coach started the year off slow? Don't be so naive. Let's put it this way so you understand: your current argument is worse than the coaching job that Jason Kidd did this year. Take it how you want to take it.
The_Hater

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Fri May 16, 2014 4:31 pm

LakeShowAK7 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
LakeShowAK7 wrote:

You mean to tell me that a team with a new identity, new system, new roster and new coach started the year off slow? Don't be so naive. Let's put it this way so you understand: your current argument is worse than the coaching job that Jason Kidd did this year. Take it how you want to take it.

So I guess the Net's making trades last summer, basically pushing all in to win now complete pre-season title aspirations complete with an SI cover stating as much were just a figment of my imagination. Their season was the least bit disappointing. My sincere apology for being so naive.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#20 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Fri May 16, 2014 5:54 pm

i bet he has to take care of his daughter.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion