NBA Considering 'Disenfranchising' Clippers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Considering 'Disenfranchising' Clippers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 pm

The NBA is reportedly considering "disenfranchising" the Los Angeles Clippers, according to a report on CNN.

Normally when a franchise owner is disenfranchised, the owner keep the underlying business.

If Donald Sterling is disenfranchised, however, he and his wife lose the Clippers and the NBA would take over the team.

Via Michael McMann/Sports Illustrated

MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Re: NBA Considering 'Disenfranchising' Clippers 

Post#2 » by MeestR » Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Is this what happened with New Orleans before they found their new owner?
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#3 » by Mamba Venom » Fri May 16, 2014 10:45 pm

If this happened it would be the CP3 curse. Wherever he plays the league owns the team shortly after.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#4 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 pm

Whatever it takes to get him out...DO IT.
DwnShft2Xcelr8
Pro Prospect
And1: 913

Post#5 » by DwnShft2Xcelr8 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:28 pm

The NBA should really consider allowing this team to move to Seattle. There isn't a need for two professional basketball teams in Los Angeles. I mean, honestly, I'm not even being a hater. I just think Seattle got screwed over. They could've easily been the ones with this great Thunder team we see in OKC now.
If a new owner group emerges from Seattle and they want to move this team, let them; and give the Seattle fans the respect they deserve.
Hide in car on Friday nights so cat thinks I have a social life crew
Telemarketers hang up on me crew
Jehovah's Witnesses close my door for me crew
Parents get upset when I visit crew
Homeless people won't accept money from me crew
masgi
Junior
And1: 416

Post#6 » by masgi » Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 pm

DwnShft2Xcelr8 wrote:The NBA should really consider allowing this team to move to Seattle. There isn't a need for two professional basketball teams in Los Angeles. I mean, honestly, I'm not even being a hater. I just think Seattle got screwed over. They could've easily been the ones with this great Thunder team we see in OKC now.
If a new owner group emerges from Seattle and they want to move this team, let them; and give the Seattle fans the respect they deserve.

The taxpayers refused to renovate Key Arena. That place is an absolute dump. Over and over again they voted against funding for it. Then they cry foul when the team actually makes good on their threats to leave? I liked the Sonics, but Seattle didn't get screwed...they screwed themselves.
Risensun
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#7 » by Risensun » Sat May 17, 2014 12:31 am

Needs to happen. Can't believe this clown is refusing to pay the fine and sell the team. Nba needs to step up to the plate and show that they're serious about doing the right thing.
Supersonics41
Senior
And1: 104

Post#8 » by Supersonics41 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:37 am

masgi wrote:
DwnShft2Xcelr8 wrote:The NBA should really consider allowing this team to move to Seattle. There isn't a need for two professional basketball teams in Los Angeles. I mean, honestly, I'm not even being a hater. I just think Seattle got screwed over. They could've easily been the ones with this great Thunder team we see in OKC now.

The taxpayers refused to renovate Key Arena. That place is an absolute dump. Over and over again they voted against funding for it. Then they cry foul when the team actually makes good on their threats to leave? I liked the Sonics, but Seattle didn't get screwed...they screwed themselves.

I take it your an okc fan!? :roll:
Bully6789
Senior
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Bully6789 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:13 am

Supersonics41 wrote:
masgi wrote:

Does it matter if he is an OKC fan he is telling the truth Seattle screwed itself when they thought that the David Stern was bluffing and the new owner of the team moved them if the sonics fans wanted to keep that team they should have agreed to remodel or built a up to date stadium. Until they do they will never get a team and I am not a OKC fan
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#10 » by Supersonics41 » Sat May 17, 2014 1:17 am

Bully6789 wrote:
Supersonics41 wrote:
masgi wrote:

Does it matter if he is an OKC fan he is telling the truth Seattle screwed itself when they thought that the David Stern was bluffing and the new owner of the team moved them if the sonics fans wanted to keep that team they should have agreed to remodel or built a up to date stadium. Until they do they will never get a team and I am not a OKC fan

I'm not going to argue with you! :roll:
IrishBeatdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,052

Post#11 » by IrishBeatdown » Sat May 17, 2014 1:50 am

Supersonics41 wrote:
Bully6789 wrote:
Supersonics41 wrote:I take it your an okc fan!? :roll:

You shouldn't because you don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#12 » by your boy » Sat May 17, 2014 2:01 am

Bully6789 wrote:
Supersonics41 wrote:
masgi wrote:

Shoulda never sold the team to someone from Oklahoma
jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#13 » by jonskilly » Sat May 17, 2014 2:50 am

I hope Sterling sues the hell out of the NBA. This entire thing is being blown out of proportion.
Shaheen
Suspended

slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#14 » by slicedbread2 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 am

masgi wrote:

Actually, I'd blame the owner at the time and the city for poorly renovating Key Arena. Spending only 70 million when they should have spent a lot more was a huge problem not to mention Stern loved the arena when he first came to the newly renovated one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4QLK0HnOc

In defense of the team and the city, the arena was losing money and was bottom 5 in terms of everything. For a fan, it's great. Here were the other problems once Howard Schultz took over the team:

1. Howard Schultz chose to alienate Gary Payton and blame him for everything going wrong with the lack of success on the court. Once that happened and he was traded for Ray Allen and a first rounder(Luke Ridnour) which was a smart deal, most fans didn't feel much of a connection to the team after Schultz did a lot of bad moves.

2. When Mr. public trust(Schultz in his own words regarding owning the Sonics) was asked to pitch in some money to help renovate the arena, he was only willing to offer 18 million towards a project that would have costed 220 million, he decided to close his wallet despite his net worth being 3 billion dollars and there were 57 other minority owners with Schultz who could have helped. Given the politicians were inept and I blame them and Schultz, but that was a huge problem plus the team was god awful.

3. Schultz could have sold the team or his share to a bunch of local guys, but instead sold it to Clay Bennett and his group so that he could get more profit since he knew nobody would offer 325 million dollars for a team that costed 230-270 million dollars according to a Forbes magazine article at the time. He chose his bottom line over giving it to a local group which showed him as a failure during his ownership and is blamed the most for the Supersonics leaving.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/32/biz ... 29710.html

Overall, it's pathetic how it ended and you could see that the NBA saw this as a PR nightmare during the lawsuit between Bennett and the city of Seattle and how they did everything they could to avoid another scenario with the Kings and Bucks.

As for the Clippers, they will most likely stay in LA since most potential ownership groups will start at a billion dollars minimum to at least 1.5 billion since this team is a title contender and is in a prime market.
Supersonics41
Senior

Post#15 » by Supersonics41 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:42 am

IrishBeatdown wrote:
Supersonics41 wrote:
Bully6789 wrote:

You shouldn't because you don't have a leg to stand on in this argument.

Look I'm not arguing the city officials at the time weren't blameless. The fact is, the mayor at the time & city counsel were both short sided. The argument I DO & many Sonics fans take issue with, is the notion that the diehard and loyal fans don't deserve to have a team because, well the team left, so why should they get another one!? When in reality, the real person who is to blame is the former owner of the team (Howard Schultz), who simply sold out the fans & region as a whole. It could have been a total different outcome, IF we actually had a leader like Kevin Johnson at the time to fight for the city & fans, much like Sacramento had leading up to last years decision. :cry:
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#16 » by Shem » Sat May 17, 2014 4:06 am

That's funny coming from a Lakers fan. Yeah, we know the Clippers stole your team's thunder. ;)
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Post#17 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 am

slicedbread2 wrote:As for the Clippers, they will most likely stay in LA since most potential ownership groups will start at a billion dollars minimum to at least 1.5 billion since this team is a title contender and is in a prime market.

Unfortunately, there are owners like Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer who believe the Clippers should have a fresh start in another place like Seattle, for the following reasons:

1. Donald Sterling helped Dr. Jerry Buss buy the Lakers in 1979. Jerry Buss thanked Sterling by bringing him into the NBA and suggesting he purchase a team. He was also the only member of the NBA Board Of Governors to support Sterling's move in relocating the Clippers to Los Angeles when the league voted against it and fined him which Sterling counter sued. This would suggest Sterling had secret ties to the Lakers, and the Clippers were operating as a farm franchise for the entire league (not just the Lakers). By relocating to another place, the Clippers would be free from both the Sterlings and the Busses.

2. Under Sterling's ownership, the Clippers have been a losing franchise. Racism, sexism, ineptitude, frugal decisions, game rigging, bullying, threats - players and employees who worked under Sterling were mentally tortured and stripped of their own free will. The Seattle owners would try to convince the team that the Clippers name is now a pseudonym for a dysfunctional franchise, and that a re-branding of the franchise would accelerate the need of a fresh start.

As always, there is hope. Per Larry Coon, when the team is officially up for sale, commissioner Adam Silver can include a clause in the auction stating that the Clippers must remain in their current location and cannot be relocated. This is the only way they can stay in the Staples Center. This also ensures that the franchise will be sold as its highest value.
Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#18 » by Whetzell » Sat May 17, 2014 5:30 am

Whetzell
Junior
And1: 96

Post#19 » by Whetzell » Sat May 17, 2014 5:32 am

Flyologist
Banned User
And1: 395

Post#20 » by Flyologist » Sat May 17, 2014 5:49 am

I'm honestly surprised at the number of Sterling sympathizers all over the internet, and that some media outlets are trying to portray him as the victim of his good deeds towards M. Johnson and V. Stivano on one hand and the rest of the Minorities in L.A on the other and now days after the CNN interview I've noticed how the focus shifted from what he said in the leaked recording to how his grand daughter is not getting candy at school and how he was back stabbed by M. Johnson I mean are you **** me does anybody in their right mind doubt that he is racist ?!!
I've read some laughable arguments like how he is not a racist and that how his animosity is directed towards the "Hip hop culture". really ?!!Hip hop and Magic :crazy:

Return to Wiretap Discussion