Grizzlies Sign Dave Joerger To Contract Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Grizzlies Sign Dave Joerger To Contract Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 pm

The Memphis Grizzlies have signed head coach Dave Joerger to a contract extension.

“I am excited to announce that we have reached an agreement to extend Dave Joerger as the head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies," Robert Pera said in a statement. “Following an open and honest dialogue with Dave, it became clear that Dave was fully committed to Memphis and we are committed to him. I look forward to seeing Dave build upon the foundation he helped establish over the last seven years, and we are both committed to bringing a championship to Memphis.”

Joerger was named Western Conference Coach of the Month twice last season (January and April).

“I am absolutely thrilled to continue as the head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies for years to come,” Joerger said. “I want to thank Robert Pera for believing in me. I look forward to building on the success we experienced this year with our core group of players that I have worked closely with over the past seven years as we work towards our ultimate goal of winning a world championship. I am 100 percent committed to leading the Grizzlies and I could not be more proud to call Memphis home.”

Via RealGM Staff Report

sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Re: Grizzlies Sign Dave Joerger To Contract Extension 

Post#2 » by sonictecture » Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Pera: (In my paranoid state of overreaction) I had a conversation with Dave. I asked Dave if he would show me the loyalty that friends and family in my life never had, if I offered him a contract extension after an uneven first year and a first round exit. When Dave replied in the positive it reminded me of how my money can buy the things that I'm unwilling to earn.

I'll likely fire Dave before next years finals, but the bigger message is that I'm willing to pay for loyalty. If I've learned anything from Donald Sterling, Dan Gilbert, Glenn Taylor and James Dolan is that owning an NBA team really is its own reward and that problems are with other people.
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#3 » by caronimo » Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm

More on the girzzlies saga and owner robert pera. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/ne ... index.html
bah humbug
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#4 » by bah humbug » Wed May 28, 2014 4:06 am

sonictecture wrote:Pera: (In my paranoid state of overreaction) I had a conversation with Dave. I asked Dave if he would show me the loyalty that friends and family in my life never had, if I offered him a contract extension after an uneven first year and a first round exit. When Dave replied in the positive it reminded me of how my money can buy the things that I'm unwilling to earn.

I'll likely fire Dave before next years finals, but the bigger message is that I'm willing to pay for loyalty. If I've learned anything from Donald Sterling, Dan Gilbert, Glenn Taylor and James Dolan is that owning an NBA team really is its own reward and that problems are with other people.

LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#5 » by LieCheatSteal » Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 am

This is like you're dating a girl and you're starting to wane on her (talks to much, nags on and on, too clingy) and want to break up with her. Then, one day, you go out with her with a group of her friends and some of her male "friends" are suddenly getting a little too chummy. Then you're thinking, am I missing something here? and you overreact by being extra possessive of her.

This is this situation in a nutshell. If the Wolves didn't actually be serious with Joerger right down to actually talking compensation for him, would the Grizz give a crap?
Two years from being two years away.

Return to Wiretap Discussion