Jackson Advises Carmelo To Wait Until 2015 For Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jackson Advises Carmelo To Wait Until 2015 For Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Phil Jackson advised Carmelo Anthony to wait until 2015 to become a free agent in order to allow the New York Knicks to be in position to pursue two "headline players."

Anthony has widely been expected to become a free agent this offseason, but he told Jackson that he would consider the idea.

Jackson said he is concerned that the Knicks could lose Anthony in free agency.

Anthony has never been a free agent in his career.

Via Frank Isola/New York Daily News

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Jackson Advises Carmelo To Wait Until 2015 For Free Agen 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri May 30, 2014 4:35 pm

This dude is already 30 years old, how long is he going to wait to even get to the finals? I don't see the Knicks being relevant even in 2015 free agency, just not enough quality on the side to make that happen...unless they magically strip down this roster and build it up quickly by next year
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#3 » by IMAN5 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:This dude is already 30 years old, how long is he going to wait to even get to the finals? I don't see the Knicks being relevant even in 2015 free agency, just not enough quality on the side to make that happen...unless they magically strip down this roster and build it up quickly by next year

Melo, Shumpert, Tim Hardaway JR and the contracts of Bargnani, Chandler, and Amare all clearing up.

Phil Jackson could make some serious moves if Melo was willing to wait the final year.

But I agree, if I'm melo I'm not getting any younger and I can't wait around. But if he did, and gave Phil a chance to work his magic, it could be special.
instagram.com/510movement
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#4 » by richboy » Fri May 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I've said in the past. The numbers have shown that he will have better options if he waits a year. Plus he will make a lot more money in the long run by waiting.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#5 » by RoyalMajesty » Fri May 30, 2014 5:24 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:This dude is already 30 years old, how long is he going to wait to even get to the finals? I don't see the Knicks being relevant even in 2015 free agency, just not enough quality on the side to make that happen...unless they magically strip down this roster and build it up quickly by next year

Melo, Shumpert, Tim Hardaway JR and the contracts of Bargnani, Chandler, and Amare all clearing up.

Phil Jackson could make some serious moves if Melo was willing to wait the final year.

But I agree, if I'm melo I'm not getting any younger and I can't wait around. But if he did, and gave Phil a chance to work his magic, it could be special.

It's really up to Melo. Can he go another year like this? They definitely won't be competing for a championship next season. Therefore, Melo will be 31 by the time the Knicks clear the contracts of Andrea Bargnani, Amare Stoudemire, and Tyson Chandler after next season, but that means Melo will have MAYBE 5 more good years in him and he will be 36 by then. The big question is for Carmelo is can the Knicks compete for a championship in the next 5 years after next season and is Melo going to have enough patience?
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#6 » by deepeeenn » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Jackson's success as president may weigh heavily on what Melo does. Regardless, 2015 will be a big year for them. Melo leave's and you preserve salaries for 2015, you could have a Top 5-10 pick and also sign some really good players in that summer. Jackson doesn't seem to be the type to take on such a daunting task though. So, he'd rather Melo stay.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#7 » by Blockwatcher » Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Jackson needs to do something for Melo to convince him next year won't be a waste of time. He might have to put together a package for Love to show Melo "hey this is the guy we want to be your partner, play together for a season. AND in a year from now we plan on adding another all star into the mix"
don't ask me how he'll get Love here? But that's an example of him doing something to show Melo that opting in would be in his best interest.
1 John 2 : 15-17
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,614

Post#8 » by Slacktard » Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm

It's better for the Knicks (which obviously is all Jackson cares about)... but is it really better for Melo? Financially he can get a bigger pay-day from the Knicks, but if they intend to try to add TWO more high salary FA's that means they're going to ask Melo to sign for less than the max. So that bigger pay-day shrinks a lot. If he went to a state without an income tax like Texas that difference is going to be a lot less in terms of pay-day.

Now you talk about better for Melo in terms of winning. I don't see Melo as someone who is ever going to get an NBA team to a championship if he's the #1. So looking at 2015 FA's the only way he's not the #1 is if LeBron goes to NY.

So we're back to the NY Knicks positioning themselves to try and get LeBron James... because it worked out so good for them the last time they tried it right?

If Melo is 100% about the money he'll stay with NY and not opt-out this summer, but if he's interested in going for an NBA championship I think the Bulls and Rockets are better options than staying in NY and hoping for LeBron.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#9 » by Brianmas23 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:32 pm

question is did Phil blow weed smoke in to Melo's face, before or after he suggested??
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Slacktard wrote:It's better for the Knicks (which obviously is all Jackson cares about)... but is it really better for Melo? Financially he can get a bigger pay-day from the Knicks, but if they intend to try to add TWO more high salary FA's that means they're going to ask Melo to sign for less than the max. So that bigger pay-day shrinks a lot. If he went to a state without an income tax like Texas that difference is going to be a lot less in terms of pay-day.

Now you talk about better for Melo in terms of winning. I don't see Melo as someone who is ever going to get an NBA team to a championship if he's the #1. So looking at 2015 FA's the only way he's not the #1 is if LeBron goes to NY.

So we're back to the NY Knicks positioning themselves to try and get LeBron James... because it worked out so good for them the last time they tried it right?

If Melo is 100% about the money he'll stay with NY and not opt-out this summer, but if he's interested in going for an NBA championship I think the Bulls and Rockets are better options than staying in NY and hoping for LeBron.

Anthony can only sign a 5 year deal with the Knicks. With any other team he can only sign a 4 year deal. We all agree?

OPT IN & RESIGNS in 2015

If he opts in, next season is the final year of his CURRENT contract (which is maxed out). + 1 YEAR MAX CONTRACT
Then next year he signs a 5 year deal for near max or max. + 5 YEAR MAX CONTRACT

RESULT === 1 year at MAX + 5 years at MAX = 6 years at MAX. Yes?

He'll be heading into age 37 in this scenario when that contract ends.

OPT OUT & RESIGNS NOW

If he opts out then it means he declines the last MAX year of his current contract. + 0 YEAR MAX CONTRACT
Then he immediately signs a 5 year MAX deal. + 5 YEAR MAX CONTRACT

RESULT === 0 year at MAX + 5 years at MAX = 5 years at MAX. Yes?

He'll be heading into age 36 in this scenario when that contract ends.

OPT OUT & LEAVES

If he opts out then he declines the last MAX year of his current contract. + 0 YEAR MAX CONTRACT
Any other team can only offer him a 4 year MAX deal. + 4 YEAR MAX CONTRACT

RESULT = 0 year at MAX = 4 years at MAX = 4 years at MAX. Yes?

He'll be heading into age 35 in this scenario when that contract ends.

------------

SOO....the benefit of him opting in (what Phil Jackson recommended) is 1 extra year at max contract. That's roughly $23-24 million EXTRA. So it's not just in the Knicks benefit, it's in Carmelo Anthony's benefit as well. The drawback obviously is the "what if he gets injured". And that's why he likely is thinking about opting out now.

But in any case, reality is that the next contract (be it signed in 2015 or in 2014) will be his LAST big contract. If Anthony was 23, 24 or 25 years old, then sure, it probably won't matter (since he can just plan on signing another max contract after that). But at 30 years of age, this is it. So he would be walking away from 1 max year if he opts out and resigns with the Knicks now...and would be walking away from 2 max years if he opts out and signs with someone else.

Can he still opt out now and sign with another team? OBVIOUSLY. But there's A LOT of money that he will be walking away from. To which...as a refresher...just in case folks conveniently is forgetting or never realized...the MAIN REASON why he pushed his way out of Denver before the trade deadline in 2010-2011 (instead of just waiting half a freaking season more and signing outright with the Knicks...who had capspace coming to sign him outright) was because he was scared to death of losing money with the looming new CBA. So...yeah...sure...he could suddenly be a changed man...but history says CLEARLY that money matters to him. 2 years and $50+ million, 1 year and $28-29 million. It's not pocket change.

And the Knicks will have plenty of cap space in just ONE MORE YEAR. Jackson (interview today) has essentially said "enough is enough" with the Knicks stupid ways of throwing away assets and overpaying just to try to win a little here and there with no plan of actually building a team. And this essentially still is the same team that won 54 games in 2012-2013. It's not as bad as some desperately want it to be.
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#11 » by your boy » Fri May 30, 2014 9:55 pm

He wants to be able to trade him if the Knicks are terrible around the break
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#12 » by Mamba Venom » Sat May 31, 2014 12:53 am

I'm a huge Phil fan but he is ROYALLY screwing up w/ Melo.

1) He tries to get a hometown discount. Wade took a discount because LeBron and Bosh were coming. Unless CP3 and Durant are coming Phil shouldn't be low balling NYs best player.
2) Now he doesn't believe in Melo enough to give him a long term contract this off-season. If Phil thought Melo was the real deal then he would offer him the max.

Phil didn't sign for less in NY, why should Melo? Phil's attempt for a year to evaluate are a sign of weakness in my eyes. Phil will be a great GM but it may take a few years.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
richboy
RealGM

Post#13 » by richboy » Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 am

moocow007 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:It's better for the Knicks (which obviously is all Jackson cares about)... but is it really better for Melo? Financially he can get a bigger pay-day from the Knicks, but if they intend to try to add TWO more high salary FA's that means they're going to ask Melo to sign for less than the max. So that bigger pay-day shrinks a lot. If he went to a state without an income tax like Texas that difference is going to be a lot less in terms of pay-day.

Anthony can only sign a 5 year deal with the Knicks. With any other team he can only sign a 4 year deal. We all agree?

OPT IN & RESIGNS in 2015

If he opts in, next season is the final year of his CURRENT contract (which is maxed out). + 1 YEAR MAX CONTRACT
Then next year he signs a 5 year deal for near max or max. + 5 YEAR MAX CONTRACT

OPT OUT & RESIGNS NOW

If he opts out then it means he declines the last MAX year of his current contract. + 0 YEAR MAX CONTRACT

OPT OUT & LEAVES

If he opts out then he declines the last MAX year of his current contract. + 0 YEAR MAX CONTRACT

------------

SOO....the benefit of him opting in (what Phil Jackson recommended) is 1 extra year at max contract. That's roughly $23-24 million EXTRA. So it's not just in the Knicks benefit, it's in Carmelo Anthony's benefit as well. The drawback obviously is the "what if he gets injured". And that's why he likely is thinking about opting out now.

But in any case, reality is that the next contract (be it signed in 2015 or in 2014) will be his LAST big contract. If Anthony was 23, 24 or 25 years old, then sure, it probably won't matter (since he can just plan on signing another max contract after that). But at 30 years of age, this is it. So he would be walking away from 1 max year if he opts out and resigns with the Knicks now...and would be walking away from 2 max years if he opts out and signs with someone else.

Can he still opt out now and sign with another team? OBVIOUSLY. But there's A LOT of money that he will be walking away from. To which...as a refresher...just in case folks conveniently is forgetting or never realized...the MAIN REASON why he pushed his way out of Denver before the trade deadline in 2010-2011 (instead of just waiting half a freaking season more and signing outright with the Knicks...who had capspace coming to sign him outright) was because he was scared to death of losing money with the looming new CBA. So...yeah...sure...he could suddenly be a changed man...but history says CLEARLY that money matters to him. 2 years and $50+ million, 1 year and $28-29 million. It's not pocket change.

And the Knicks will have plenty of cap space in just ONE MORE YEAR. Jackson (interview today) has essentially said "enough is enough" with the Knicks stupid ways of throwing away assets and overpaying just to try to win a little here and there with no plan of actually building a team. And this essentially still is the same team that won 54 games in 2012-2013. It's not as bad as some desperately want it to be.

This is what I been saying. The Knicks are not bad enough to think that you have no shot to be at least a top 4 team in the East next year. Now you no question could be on a title contender in Houston and maybe a title contender depending on Rose in Chicago. He has to weigh how much does he want to be on a contender right now. Both of those options would be available in 015.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#14 » by inquisitive » Sat May 31, 2014 1:31 am

looks like PJ is gonna have to learn how to build thru the draft...it will be a good learning experience for him
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#15 » by kamaze » Sat May 31, 2014 2:22 am

Mamba Venom wrote:I'm a huge Phil fan but he is ROYALLY screwing up w/ Melo.

1) He tries to get a hometown discount. Wade took a discount because LeBron and Bosh were coming. Unless CP3 and Durant are coming Phil shouldn't be low balling NYs best player.
2) Now he doesn't believe in Melo enough to give him a long term contract this off-season. If Phil thought Melo was the real deal then he would offer him the max.

Phil didn't sign for less in NY, why should Melo? Phil's attempt for a year to evaluate are a sign of weakness in my eyes. Phil will be a great GM but it may take a few years.

Phil was a great at molding players as a coach but not as GM hope for it works out for him bc NY media will be all over him if it doesn't.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat May 31, 2014 4:12 am

Phil seems determined to run the Triangle- an equal opportunity, inside-out offense predicated on ball movement. Melo is maybe the best one-on-one offensive force in the game but he's a ball stopper and would need to drastically change his game to fit into the triangle. Melo is also a liability on D. He is OK when he's at his best but at times he seemingly takes entire quarters off. His value to Phil and the Knicks is based on whether these issues can be changed. My guess is that Phil believes they cant and that Melo is more valuable as a sign and trade than his is as a max contract that they need to build their whole system around.... and he's a pretty smart guy!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat May 31, 2014 4:15 am

richboy wrote:I've said in the past. The numbers have shown that he will have better options if he waits a year. Plus he will make a lot more money in the long run by waiting.

Unless he has a career ending injury, in which case it is a terrible idea to wait.
IrishBeatdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,052

Post#18 » by IrishBeatdown » Sat May 31, 2014 4:17 am

Honestly, I think Phil Jackson just wants Carmelo to opt in so he can trade him at the break. PJax is looking to extract maximum value from Anthony, and he can't get that value if Carmelo opts out. He gets more at the break this coming year than he gets this off season.
richboy
RealGM

Post#19 » by richboy » Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
richboy wrote:I've said in the past. The numbers have shown that he will have better options if he waits a year. Plus he will make a lot more money in the long run by waiting.

Unless he has a career ending injury, in which case it is a terrible idea to wait.

Career ending injuries are so rare in this era.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#20 » by lakersin4 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:29 pm

moocow007 wrote:

OPT IN & RESIGNS in 2015

OPT OUT & RESIGNS NOW

OPT OUT & LEAVES

------------

All of this is assuming they actually plan to offer Melo the max next summer.. Why do you think he's asking him to wait for a loaded 2015 FA class? He's going to try to sell Melo & another star on taking Miami deals to win now.

Return to Wiretap Discussion