Durant, Westbrook Support Scott Brooks' Job Security

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Durant, Westbrook Support Scott Brooks' Job Security 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 2, 2014 11:34 am

Scott Brooks' job security was questioned at times during the Oklahoma City Thunder's postseason run, but the head coach said he did not pay attention to it.

“It’s something I don’t even consider," Brooks said. "I just do my job every day.”

The Thunder's stars, Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, supported Brooks.

“That’s our guy,” Durant said. “I’m riding with him. It’s easy for everybody on the outside to criticize. But once you’re in the fire, once you’re in that arena, those are the guys that matter. The guys that shed the blood, sweat and tears and sleepless nights, those are the guys that count. Those are the guys that matter in our book. Everybody on the outside really doesn’t.”

“Ever since I’ve been here and Scotty became the head coach, he’s done a great job of having confidence in me personally,” Westbrook said. “There’s times where things have gone south, and he’s the only one, regardless of what happened, has had my back.”

Via Anthony Slater/The Oklahoman

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: Durant, Westbrook Support Scott Brooks' Job Security 

Post#2 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 2, 2014 2:32 pm

Never hurts to kick the tires to see who's available. Someone like JVG would be interesting. Have him work his defensive magic and let Durant and Westbrook do their thing like they have been doing all along under Brooks on offense.
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#3 » by Fellow72 » Mon Jun 2, 2014 2:38 pm

Brooks is an avg coach. They should let him go, he's nothing special. I hated how he drained durant by giving him too many minutes the every game of the post season. You could tell there were times he felt unproductive because he was exhausted, and brooks just kept him in there. He should have been pushing the GM to get better supporting players too. Maybe he has, idk, but Players like sefolosha should never be your main starting option.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jun 2, 2014 3:54 pm

Fellow72 wrote:Brooks is an avg coach. They should let him go, he's nothing special. I hated how he drained durant by giving him too many minutes the every game of the post season. You could tell there were times he felt unproductive because he was exhausted, and brooks just kept him in there. He should have been pushing the GM to get better supporting players too. Maybe he has, idk, but Players like sefolosha should never be your main starting option.

100% agree. I dont think Brooks developed the bench as well as he could have but I think Presti should have given him more to work with. In particular they need some frontcourt help. Perkins and Collison just arent effective anymore and Steven Adams is a nice piece but still 1-2 years away from developing into a significant contributor.

If they can trade Perkins, #21 and fillers for Chandler and add Boozer off the bench with MLE, I think that gets them over the hump.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jun 2, 2014 3:57 pm

I generally haven't complained about Brooks and his coaching. Many legacy coaches started coaching a superstar as a rookie coach and grew into the role (Jackson, Spoelstra, Pop, Riley, etc). Most of those guys also took over teams with other veteran stars that had been in the NBA for years with quite a bit of experience. This is a VERY young team, and the bond between the players and coach is very strong.

However, I found it a bit inexplicable that Derek Fisher was on the floor for over 30 minutes and it seems like the entire second half. I think his leadership is important, but he didn't need to be playing that much. The guy is almost 40 and was playing with two other guards in a small lineup. The Duncan switches on him were easy points for the Spurs and it happened repeatedly. Other players were gassed. Caron Butler had a DNP. Even Adams or Perkins could have played a couple minutes in the second half as they were fresh. And the technical was costly.

You don't want to impact chemistry and/or upset your stars who could leave in free agency in the future. However, you don't want to do it a year or two from now either closer to the end of their contracts.

Has this team really underachieved? The Spurs have been awfully tough the last three years, and OKC has dealt with injuries at very critical times. It's not like LeBron and the Cavs where they were the big favorites and blew some series in the weaker eastern conference.

It's a tough call, and I'm not sure who would be the right coach if he was replaced. Hollins? Karl? Gentry? JVG? Most of those coaches have lost in the WCF too with pretty talented teams.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#6 » by sonictecture » Mon Jun 2, 2014 5:17 pm

moocow007 wrote:Never hurts to kick the tires to see who's available. Someone like JVG would be interesting. Have him work his defensive magic and let Durant and Westbrook do their thing like they have been doing all along under Brooks on offense.

I've seen lots of organizations hurt from "kicking the tires". These are people not cars.

I've never seen a good reason given for firing Brooks and starting over with someone else.

Brooks receives criticism for every perceived wrong move and absolutely no credit for good adjustments or sticking with what has worked and believing in the players. All of the coaches who have received praise in their careers are the survivors. Eventually they get credit for their body of work and the mistakes are forgiven and forgotten.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#7 » by 2Mas » Mon Jun 2, 2014 5:57 pm

Yeah of course they support him because he lets them run free.

OKC hasn't ran a play since 2010. There is no system in order besides watching the Westbrook - Durant show. That alone gets them top 2 seed every year.

They need some post scoring. Jackson & Adams need to start next year. Lamb & Jones need def mins.

IDK if I'd fire Brooks -- but I'd def think of replacements & see if there's anything better out there.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#8 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Jun 2, 2014 10:46 pm

The main reason it's so difficult to judge OKC is because their head coach is young - their superstars are young - everyone has a decent set of accomplishments but they don't have a proven track record. It's especially tough to understand their troubles because you wonder if KD and Westbrook are really just running around doing ISO's every possession, or if this is the best play Brooks can draw up?

Add to this OKC's reluctance to spend, and this is the reason for their cycle of shortcomings. They have to trade Perk and play their young guys. It won't kill you to go into the tax would it? Come on! Billionaires penny-pinching, plus you have a once-in-a-lifetime player like KD, absolutely sick #2 in Westbrook, legit post in Ibaka. Why are you trying to win it all with just 3 solid pieces? This is the Harden curse...ongoing...

Return to Wiretap Discussion