Bird Wants Pacers To Re-Sign Stephenson

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bird Wants Pacers To Re-Sign Stephenson 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 2, 2014 5:35 pm

Larry Bird and Frank Vogel both hope the Indiana Pacers re-sign Lance Stephenson this summer.

Stephenson will be an unrestricted free agent.

"I think his ceiling is what he wants it to be," Bird said. "I always want him back. You just don't let talent like that walk away if you can help it. (Once he matures his) game is unlimited.

"He's a free agent and can do whatever he wants to do. When it comes down to it, it's up to him whether he wants to be here or not."

Bird said the team has discussed what it will cost to bring Stephenson back but has not determined what they will offer him yet.

Via Candace Buckner/Indianapolis Star

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Bird Wants Pacers To Re-Sign Stephenson 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Jun 2, 2014 6:07 pm

I wonder if his attitude towards teammates will affect offers - I mean it was no secret there was issues within the locker room...specifically with him and other players.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#3 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Jun 2, 2014 6:12 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:I wonder if his attitude towards teammates will affect offers - I mean it was no secret there was issues within the locker room...specifically with him and other players.

I bet Bird was worried for a while there at the AS break when Lance was just on an absolute tear. The off-court drama and his string of "Lebron incidents" will give Indy some much-needed negotiating power.

They didn't win the chip this year, but they made it to the Eastern Finals despite all the garbage going on. I think Lance is too valuable to their already-lacking offense to let go. If anything, both he and Paul George are the only real "untouchables" on the Indy roster. They should build around them.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 2, 2014 6:53 pm

They really don't have much choice. They're capped out and not in a position to get anyone else of Stephenson's caliber without having to trade a major rotation piece.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#5 » by Rated T By CBRA » Mon Jun 2, 2014 7:11 pm

moocow007 wrote:They really don't have much choice. They're capped out and not in a position to get anyone else of Stephenson's caliber without having to trade a major rotation piece.

Isn't Evan Turner a plan B (at least short term) if Stephenson was to leave? I mean his contract is up too, so I guess they will have to keep one of the two for sure.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Mon Jun 2, 2014 8:17 pm

moocow007 wrote:They really don't have much choice. They're capped out and not in a position to get anyone else of Stephenson's caliber without having to trade a major rotation piece.

Yup. Anyone who thinks they should just let him walk doesn't understand how difficult it is to add players of his quality in the NBA cap system. Signing him and gambling that he will mature is reasonable as is finding a true(r) starting PG to take some of the ball-handling away from him.

The Pacer's season certainly didn't finish great but their play the first 2 months shows that they have a high peak level with this group too. I know people are expecting widespread changes here but I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back all 5 starters eithers. I think George Hill is the most likely one to be replaced.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
JohnnyNightrain
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,049

Post#7 » by JohnnyNightrain » Mon Jun 2, 2014 9:39 pm

But, if they do re-sign him and keep the team intact, where do they go? Lance and Paul George are young, but Hibbert, even playing well, is not worth his contract. West is going to decline and George Hill is pretty much useless on this team at that position.

Yes, they've gone to the ECF two years in a row, but, realistically, it was almost by default since the East is so weak. These guys have, pretty much, been the healthiest team in the East for the last three years and have suffered the same fate every year. I think a lot of Pacers fans got a little drunk on the "pushed the champs to seven games last year" rhetoric. Throwing away the outlier game, they still lost by an average of 17 points and were, basically, two bad passes away from not getting anywhere near seven games.

Anyway, re-signing Lance is going to leave them with the exact same team and no room to improve. No cap space. No trade-able assets. No draft pick.

At least Bird seems open to getting rid of Hill, so that's a start.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#8 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Jun 2, 2014 10:40 pm

Larry Legend is still a boss even when he's not on the court. You have to love a manager that can be straightforward and honest like him right now... I'm glad he sees something in Lance despite all the drama. Can't forget the success they achieved this year was thanks in large part to Lance. And even though everyone is giving Lance a hard time, he's the only one on that team who showed heart every game. Paul George should be fine; he'll come around after a firm backhand from Larry Legend.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#9 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 12:40 am

Theyll have to try and dump Chris Copeland to add the necessary flexibility to re-sign Stevenson.
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#10 » by Sn0wman » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:58 pm

They trying to up his trade value...SMH!!
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#11 » by Tdot24 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 4:53 pm

Sn0wman wrote:They trying to up his trade value...SMH!!

He's an unrestricted free agent. There's no need for a trade... SMH!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 5:16 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:

Isn't Evan Turner a plan B (at least short term) if Stephenson was to leave? I mean his contract is up too, so I guess they will have to keep one of the two for sure.

Even if Turner was, they could resign both and still have twice the bang (or whatever). That's the problem. Yes, they can probably trade someone else to get someone that can produce close to Stephenson, but then that someone else they would have to trade wouldn't be there and they'd have to replace what that someone used to produce. I'm not saying that Stephenson is JR Smith (obviously he's better than Smith), but it's the same situation when Smith was heading to free agency. The Knicks really didn't have any choice but to resign him...regardless of his negative habits/antics.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#13 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:09 am

The_Hater wrote:

Yup. Anyone who thinks they should just let him walk doesn't understand how difficult it is to add players of his quality in the NBA cap system. Signing him and gambling that he will mature is reasonable as is finding a true(r) starting PG to take some of the ball-handling away from him.

The Pacer's season certainly didn't finish great but their play the first 2 months shows that they have a high peak level with this group too. I know people are expecting widespread changes here but I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back all 5 starters eithers. I think George Hill is the most likely one to be replaced.

Hit the nail on the head. :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion