Source: Wiggins Could Be 'Compromise' Pick For Cavaliers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Source: Wiggins Could Be 'Compromise' Pick For Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Andrew Wiggins may become the compromise pick for the Cleveland Cavaliers with the No. 1 overall pick, according to sources.

Jabari Parker had been atop their board all season due to his perceived ability to make an instant impact, while they believe Joel Embiid has the highest upside and fits a long-term need. Wiggins is seen as a player with more upside than Parker and can play impactful minutes immediately unlike Embiid.

Dan Gilbert is known as being anxious to make the Cavaliers a playoff team.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Re: Source: Wiggins Could Be 'Compromise' Pick For Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by Bubstubbler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Surely this is a smokescreen or outright BS, because Embiid is going to be much more impactful out of the gate than Wiggins will be.

Wiggins doesn't have good enough handles or a good enough shot to have much of an offensive impact in year 1. NBA defenders will shut him down off the dribble and often strip him. Early in his career, he'll get most of his points off of offensive rebounds and inefficient jumpers.

Embiid, on the other hand, already has an arsenal of moves that will allow him to be more offensively impactful than Anthony Davis was as a rookie. Embiid is already capable of putting up 20 ppg on pretty good efficiency if his team wants to give him the shots (which Kyrie may inefficiently hog to himself), and he's already a good defender who will continue to rapidly improve throughout the year.

Embiid not only has a higher floor and a higher ceiling than Wiggins, he's also going to be much more impactful in year 1.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:35 pm

I don't think compromise is the right word, if they think he has higher upside than Parker.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#4 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:Embiid not only has a higher floor and a higher ceiling than Wiggins, he's also going to be much more impactful in year 1.

I don't know that I agree about a higher ceiling, but I think that everything else you've said makes perfect sense. Really, there are only two ways to lose at all by taking Embiid: his body falls apart and he never gets on the floor, or Wiggins becomes the next GOAT-contender. Even in the second case, it could be like '84, where the Rockets still got Dream, even though they missed on MJ; and a solid silver medal would be huge for the franchise.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#5 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Donnyxc wrote:I don't think compromise is the right word, if they think he has higher upside than Parker.

The compromise for the Cavs, with Wiggins having a higher upside than Parker, is the reduction in immediate, meaningful on-court time. Additionally, if Wiggins' game never fully matures, then that compromise gets greater the longer his potential goes unrealized.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#6 » by Bubstubbler » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:55 pm

IMO Embiid has a much, much higher reasonably attainable ceiling than Wiggins.

I think it's highly likely that Embiid becomes a HOF-caliber elite 2-way center capable of putting up 26/12/3/3 with a TS% over 60%, and I think it's literally on the order of a thousand times less likely that Wiggins attains those heights.

I had the opposite opinion last summer, but watching every KU game last year totally changed my mind. It was clear early on that Embiid was the alpha prospect. Highlights and boxscores don't do Embiid any justice: you've got to watch the games to see how he really shines. He's similar to Marc Gasol in that he's way more valuable than you'd ever know just by watching highlights or checking out boxscores. He's the opposite of a 'hollow stats' guy.

Embiid just has to continue on his trajectory to attain those heights. If you watch a lot of his games, it's easy to invision how he could put up those numbers and dominate an NBA game.

Wiggins, however, will have to radically change his trajectory of skill development. It's very troubling how unskilled he is. Embiid has comparable handles right now.

Embiid is already in the rare class of mega prospects of centers that had dominant minds (gifted/genius IQ), dominant physical traits, and a strong will to dominate/win. The only center/center-ish prospects over the last 25 years who have met those criteria are Shaq, Yao, Duncan, Oden, Anthony Davis, and now Embiid. Mourning and DHoward would be close. Looking back a little further, the other prospects of that caliber are Ewing, David Robinson, and Hakeem. Maybe Bowie, too? Then back to guys like Ralph Sampson, Walton, Kareem, Russell, Parrish, and Wilt. When the biggest guy out on the court also happens to be the smartest and most competitive, dominance ensues. Always has, always will.

Notice the incredibly high odds of success for center prospects of Embiid's caliber? Literally 80-90% of them go on to become dominant HOF-caliber players. Busts are unheard of; the only guys who didn't reach those heights were Oden and Bowie. Injuries eventually got to Sampson, but he was a HOF-caliber player early on.

IMO, if the Cavs' medical staff clears Embiid, he's gotta be the pick.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:35 pm

It would be ridiculous if they didn't take Embiid. Which means they won't.
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#8 » by HSOB SIRHC » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:Surely this is a smokescreen or outright BS, because Embiid is going to be much more impactful out of the gate than Wiggins will be.

Wiggins doesn't have good enough handles or a good enough shot to have much of an offensive impact in year 1. NBA defenders will shut him down off the dribble and often strip him. Early in his career, he'll get most of his points off of offensive rebounds and inefficient jumpers.

Embiid, on the other hand, already has an arsenal of moves that will allow him to be more offensively impactful than Anthony Davis was as a rookie. Embiid is already capable of putting up 20 ppg on pretty good efficiency if his team wants to give him the shots (which Kyrie may inefficiently hog to himself), and he's already a good defender who will continue to rapidly improve throughout the year.

Embiid not only has a higher floor and a higher ceiling than Wiggins, he's also going to be much more impactful in year 1.

You're out of your mind if you think Embiid can already average 20ppg on good efficiency right away. He's not strong enough and from what I've see, he doesn't have a lot of post moves. He's going to get pushed around a lot. He'll be lucky to average 10pts 7rebs in his first year.
Credit to Turbozone
spudwebb
Sixth Man
And1: 2,195

Post#9 » by spudwebb » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 pm

HSOB SIRHC wrote:You're out of your mind if you think Embiid can already average 20ppg on good efficiency right away. He's not strong enough and from what I've see, he doesn't have a lot of post moves. He's going to get pushed around a lot. He'll be lucky to average 10pts 7rebs in his first year.

Anthony Davis is a twig and did 13.5, 8 his first year. And 20, 10 this year. This isn't your daddy's NBA - Bosh and KG parade around as a centers.
ChuckBros4Life
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#10 » by ChuckBros4Life » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:44 pm

HSOB SIRHC wrote:
Bubstubbler wrote:Surely this is a smokescreen or outright BS, because Embiid is going to be much more impactful out of the gate than Wiggins will be.

You're out of your mind if you think Embiid can already average 20ppg on good efficiency right away. He's not strong enough and from what I've see, he doesn't have a lot of post moves. He's going to get pushed around a lot. He'll be lucky to average 10pts 7rebs in his first year.

Saying Embiid "doesn't have a lot of post moves" instantly makes your argument invalid. He's got terrific post moves and footwork. You should watch some clips of him before the draft.
"I dont respect West Coast point guards; theyre too Hollywood for me." - Brandon Jennings
"Everything's peaches and cream." - Monta Ellis
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#11 » by brownbobcat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Bubstubbler wrote:INotice the incredibly high odds of success for center prospects of Embiid's caliber? Literally 80-90% of them go on to become dominant HOF-caliber players. Busts are unheard of; the only guys who didn't reach those heights were Oden and Bowie. Injuries eventually got to Sampson, but he was a HOF-caliber player early on.

Notice there's a problem called selection bias where you pre-select HOF'ers to make the case that they will become HOf'ers? There are many, many highly drafted and highly touted big men that busted.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#12 » by miltk » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:51 pm

yeah, cleve, make the stupid move and go for compromise.

noun
an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

make concessions, cleve! go for the middle of the road!
HSOB SIRHC
General Manager
And1: 1,238

Post#13 » by HSOB SIRHC » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:54 pm

ChuckBros4Life wrote:
Saying Embiid "doesn't have a lot of post moves" instantly makes your argument invalid. He's got terrific post moves and footwork. You should watch some clips of him before the draft.

I disagree. I've watched Kansas play more than a few times and he just seems very raw. Sure he has those hook shots, but other than that, he gets pushed out of the post too often. You can't honestly believe this guy can average 20pts as a rookie. He will struggle a lot in his first year.
Credit to Turbozone
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#14 » by MaxRider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Cleveland should trade with Philly
draft Wiggins and trade him to Philly for Parker and Young
get two quality players in return
Wiggins has good upside but Cleveland needs to win now to convince Irving to stay
Embiid is long term project
if Milwaukee picks Parker to screw them up then they need to deal with Milwaukee instead
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#15 » by MaxRider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:00 pm

spudwebb wrote:
HSOB SIRHC wrote:You're out of your mind if you think Embiid can already average 20ppg on good efficiency right away. He's not strong enough and from what I've see, he doesn't have a lot of post moves. He's going to get pushed around a lot. He'll be lucky to average 10pts 7rebs in his first year.

Anthony Davis is a twig and did 13.5, 8 his first year. And 20, 10 this year. This isn't your daddy's NBA - Bosh and KG parade around as a centers.

Davis is PF not C and most of his points are from jumper and put back and dunk
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,594

Post#16 » by bisme37 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:09 pm

So the Cavs are going to take a guy they don't like because they can't decide between two guys they do like?? Just another illustration of what a joke this franchise has become. If there was any justice they'd be banned from the lottery for the next five years. Get three number ones in four years and you still suck... that's your own problem.
williamsonfox
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#17 » by williamsonfox » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Embiid 20 ppg as a rookie? CMON MAN! :crazy:

I understand the potential that Embiid has as a centre in this league. A lot of talent...with his agility and knack for the game (post moves) but he is still a project - a 3-5 year project - like most young centres in the NBA. Rarely do guys come in and play effectively. Embiid is your medium risk HIGH reward type of player. People are saying Hakeem 2.0. I can see the similarities but that is LOFTY. In the NBA these days its ran by speed. You need guys to get to the basket. If you do not have a big man that can run the floor in transition to finish or defend they are useless.

Wiggins will come in and defend quite effectively right away just due to his unreal athleticism. He can hit open jumpers (great form but still needs to improve his catch and shoot footwork). He'll run the floor like a gazelle and finish like a beast in transition. He will definitely take advantage of slower defenders of the dribble. I know he lacks a left hand right now but in a one strong dribble to his right - he'll catch guys off guard a lot due to his speed.

Parker is the most ready with his NBA sized body. Great instincts on offense (posting up, off the dribble and spot up shooting). Has a lower ceiling because he isn't as athletic as Wiggins.

I think they need to go with Parker or Wiggins...

Choose Parker. Trade one of Thompson or Bennett for a 3 & D shooting guard (such Arron Afflalo). Trade Waiters or bring him off the bench (clashes with Irving as a ball-handling guard). You have Hawes and Varejao at 5 (great tandem). Varejao-Bennett-Parker-SG-Irving - That can be a playoff team with adding some depth in free agency.

Choose Wiggins. More of the same. He may not be as polished and ready to take over in the NBA but will fill the need the Cavs want without trading for a big superstar. However they definitely run the risk of Wiggins leaving after his qualifying deal is done because he is a homer and will go to Toronto because he loves the Raptors - not just the city, he loves the team and wants them to do well and to fulfil his childhood dream. Just makes sense.

Go Parker, Cavs.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,718

Post#18 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 pm

williamsonfox wrote:Embiid 20 ppg as a rookie? CMON MAN! :crazy:

I understand the potential that Embiid has as a centre in this league. A lot of talent...with his agility and knack for the game (post moves) but he is still a project - a 3-5 year project - like most young centres in the NBA. Rarely do guys come in and play effectively. Embiid is your medium risk HIGH reward type of player. People are saying Hakeem 2.0. I can see the similarities but that is LOFTY. In the NBA these days its ran by speed. You need guys to get to the basket. If you do not have a big man that can run the floor in transition to finish or defend they are useless.

Wiggins will come in and defend quite effectively right away just due to his unreal athleticism. He can hit open jumpers (great form but still needs to improve his catch and shoot footwork). He'll run the floor like a gazelle and finish like a beast in transition. He will definitely take advantage of slower defenders of the dribble. I know he lacks a left hand right now but in a one strong dribble to his right - he'll catch guys off guard a lot due to his speed.

Parker is the most ready with his NBA sized body. Great instincts on offense (posting up, off the dribble and spot up shooting). Has a lower ceiling because he isn't as athletic as Wiggins.

I think they need to go with Parker or Wiggins...

Choose Parker. Trade one of Thompson or Bennett for a 3 & D shooting guard (such Arron Afflalo). Trade Waiters or bring him off the bench (clashes with Irving as a ball-handling guard). You have Hawes and Varejao at 5 (great tandem). Varejao-Bennett-Parker-SG-Irving - That can be a playoff team with adding some depth in free agency.

Choose Wiggins. More of the same. He may not be as polished and ready to take over in the NBA but will fill the need the Cavs want without trading for a big superstar. However they definitely run the risk of Wiggins leaving after his qualifying deal is done because he is a homer and will go to Toronto because he loves the Raptors - not just the city, he loves the team and wants them to do well and to fulfil his childhood dream. Just makes sense.

Go Parker, Cavs.

Wiggins won't be able to do that. The CBA has been modified where teams have the leverage on players coming out of their entry level deal so unless Wiggins wants to risk injury, he wouldn't pass a potential 5 year deal for 80-90 million especially if he takes off. Plus the Cavaliers would have at least 8-9 years to put a solid roster around him with or without Irving and I'd be willing to move Irving for a top 5 pick in this draft if possible since I'm not so sure he'd be willing to stay.

Parker's not a bad choice neither although his position as a 3 or 4 is unknown and the Cavs already have a bunch of 4's in Bennett and Thompson and Parker may be a defensive liability.

Overall, I'd reach for the player with the highest ceiling and maybe gun for Embiid or I'd even trade down to Philadelphia and swoop 3 and 10 up.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#19 » by Marty McFly » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:22 pm

draft him and trade him before the season starts if you want someone else.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#20 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:43 am

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rder_by=ws

Yeah... I think it is unwise to that he can be a 26/12/3/3... I know that perhaps you are getting stats out of thin air... but try to be realistic over a guy who maybe had 15 meaningful games in college...

Return to Wiretap Discussion