Jazz Offering Favors In Package To Cavs For No. 1 Overall Pick

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jazz Offering Favors In Package To Cavs For No. 1 Overall Pick 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:57 pm

The Utah Jazz and Cleveland Cavaliers are discussing a trade involving the first overall pick. 

The Jazz are offering Derrick Favors, Alec Burks and the No. 5 pick to the Cavaliers for the No. 1 selection and Jarrett Jack.

The Cavaliers wanted a future unprotected pick, but the Jazz countered with the No. 23 pick. The Jazz are split on whether or not to include Burks.

The Jazz presumably would pick between Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker.

Via Spencer Checketts/1280 The Zone

zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Re: Jazz Offering Favors In Package To Cavs For No. 1 Overal 

Post#2 » by zronv7 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 am

Interesting, it would be Parker if that were the case. Can't see the Jazz picking wiggins.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#3 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 am

Deal really makes sense for both teams. I just wonder what the Jazz will do about their PF position. I guess they could put Parker there next to Kanter and go with Hayward + Burke in the backcourt.
It has been written...
gmehl
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#4 » by gmehl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:40 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Deal really makes sense for both teams. I just wonder what the Jazz will do about their PF position. I guess they could put Parker there next to Kanter and go with Hayward + Burke in the backcourt.

If the deal went through then they should look to sign and trade for Monroe for Hayward. The Jazz line up would then look like:
PG: Burke
SG: Burke (if not included in deal)
SF: Parker
PF: Monroe
C: Kanter
masgi
Junior
And1: 416

Post#5 » by masgi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:49 am

Oh man, Cavs need to do this. Solving the PF spot that has plagued them for years, while also getting a chance to get the guy they wanted anyways in Embiid...
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#6 » by thegreenlife » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:53 am

masgi wrote:Oh man, Cavs need to do this. Solving the PF spot that has plagued them for years, while also getting a chance to get the guy they wanted anyways in Embiid...

Cavs aren't going to take Embiid with all the medical problems that Embiid has...

On another note, I don't understand why there haven't been any talks or rumors about Ainge trying to trade up to the #1 pick. We have way more assets than the Jazz. I'd rather have the Celtics take Wiggins/Parker than a 1 year Love rental
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#7 » by DJ3thenew23 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am

If they do this, they need to trade Dion for a 3 or 5 depending on if they resign Deng.

Kyrie
Burks
?
Favors
Varejao/Thompson

OR

Kyrie
Burks
Deng
Favors
?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Ikeizm
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#8 » by Ikeizm » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 am

Damn that seems like a lot to give up. Especially in this draft.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#9 » by castor777 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:41 am

So let me get this straight.

-The Cavs with the #1 draft pick can select any person they want in a loaded draft.
-They have enough cap space to sign 2 near max salary players in free agency.

That team. Should trade both that pick and ruin their salary cap, for a worse pick and perhaps the 2nd best player from a 25 win team?

Pretty sad to think how much crap is talked about the Cleveland Cavaliers as an organization when you internet GMs would make the first idiotic trade thrown your way.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#10 » by Sam195 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 am

The only reason I could see the cavs trading down is if they secretly still want Joel Embiid. From what was earlier reported - Embid's workout with the cavs was mind-blowing to the front office, coaching staff and the entire ownership group specifically Dan Gilbert. Embid's cavs workout was also his last one because his foot injury was discovered shortly afterwards during his physical with their doctors and training staff. He might have already been injured before the workout with the cavs - so if he was fully healthy -imagine how much more impressive he could have been. The cavs have basically gotten a strict response from the bucks that they are not willing to trade up and are satisfied taking whoever remains between wiggins and parker. The bucks like parker more but are not willing to give up an asset when the alternative in wiggins is as equally talented as parker. Last years the cavs wasted their #1 pick drafting a player who was injured before the draft and unable to workout for them but apparently nailed his interview with the gm. Why don't the cavs do the opposite this year and draft the player who got injured after the strong workout. Embiid is also been touted by his former coaches and team mates as a high character guy who puts the team first instead of himself. He's also clearly a workhorse - he basically learned the game of basketball in 3 years and now is one of the top prospects in the country. I feel like the team that eventually drafts embiid is gonna be the team that really wins the lottery. People keep comparing him to greg oden and sam bowie but why don't you look at the likes of bill walton and yao ming. They had fairly long careers and still were dominant players before the extent of their injuries swallowed their careers.
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#11 » by xJumpManx » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 am

thegreenlife wrote:
masgi wrote:Oh man, Cavs need to do this. Solving the PF spot that has plagued them for years, while also getting a chance to get the guy they wanted anyways in Embiid...

Cavs aren't going to take Embiid with all the medical problems that Embiid has...

On another note, I don't understand why there haven't been any talks or rumors about Ainge trying to trade up to the #1 pick. We have way more assets than the Jazz. I'd rather have the Celtics take Wiggins/Parker than a 1 year Love rental

The Celtics dont have anything of value for the Cavs.
swollcat
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#12 » by swollcat » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:47 am

castor777 wrote:So let me get this straight.

-The Cavs with the #1 draft pick can select any person they want in a loaded draft.
-They have enough cap space to sign 2 near max salary players in free agency.

That team. Should trade both that pick and ruin their salary cap, for a worse pick and perhaps the 2nd best player from a 25 win team?

Pretty sad to think how much crap is talked about the Cleveland Cavaliers as an organization when you internet GMs would make the first idiotic trade thrown your way.

Finally. Even on this one, I have to give credit where credit is due.
Investment banker by day, basketball aficionado by night.
Mergers and Acquisitions powered by StanfordU

The paradigm of success lies in reasoned didactics. Epistemic failure is oft the culmination and consequence of apriori equivocations.
NattyPButter
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#13 » by NattyPButter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:04 am

This is a dumb trade for the Cavs. First off Favors sucks at rebounding and has no mid range. TT who is smaller out rebounds him. Are you ppl fans of the Jazz or something? this trade is just dumb. Cavs should just get Wiggins or Parker and call it a day. Also lol at the guy that has Burks playing SG next to Kyrie. do u ppl even watch basketball geez.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#14 » by ADDinChicago » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:14 am

It's bad for the Cavs... So Dan Gilbert probably loves it.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#15 » by mawbsta » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:45 am

There are very few times in the history of the NBA where trading away the top pick made sense... maybe once every 10-12 years the crop is so bad that trading the pick is a smart play... this year is not one of them
RussellandFlow
Bench Warmer
And1: 917
Location: San Francisco born & raised, Pacific Northwest living

Post#16 » by RussellandFlow » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:54 am

Natty- Burks is Alec Burks not Trey BURKE, so he could play alongside Kyrie and would be a great fit as he can shoot and is a legit 6"6 unlike Waiters who needs the ball in his hands to be effective, not to mention he is undersized.
Combs84
Freshman

Post#17 » by Combs84 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:04 am

Isn't Favors a FA? AKA they could just sign him if they wanted him.
NattyPButter
Ballboy

Post#18 » by NattyPButter » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:13 am

antoekneeo wrote:Natty- Burks is Alec Burks not Trey BURKE, so he could play alongside Kyrie and would be a great fit as he can shoot and is a legit 6"6 unlike Waiters who needs the ball in his hands to be effective, not to mention he is undersized.

Waiters>Burks....don't want to see Jazz's D-league players on the Cavs. Dion would destroy him.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#19 » by Temuhjan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:30 am

NattyPButter wrote:
antoekneeo wrote:Natty- Burks is Alec Burks not Trey BURKE, so he could play alongside Kyrie and would be a great fit as he can shoot and is a legit 6"6 unlike Waiters who needs the ball in his hands to be effective, not to mention he is undersized.

Waiters>Burks....don't want to see Jazz's D-league players on the Cavs. Dion would destroy him.

There are a few young FA swingmen available this summer: MarShon Brooks, Kent Bazemore and even Cleveland's own C.J. Miles. All 3 are very serviceable. No one needs Dion Waiters, let alone Alec Burks.
King Stannis
Pro Prospect
And1: 518

Post#20 » by King Stannis » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:43 am

Championships are won with mediocre castoffs rather than superstars. Let's do it.
Bend the knee.

Return to Wiretap Discussion