Nowitzki, Mavericks To Finalize Terms Of New Deal After Meeting With Carmelo

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nowitzki, Mavericks To Finalize Terms Of New Deal After Meeting With Carmelo 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 1, 2014 5:04 pm

The Dallas Mavericks expect to finalize the terms of Dirk Nowitzki's new contract after their meeting on Wednesday with Carmelo Anthony.

Nowitzki will be prominent in the Mavericks' recruiting pitch to Anthony.

The Mavericks and Nowitzki already have a good idea of what type of contract will be agreed upon due to extension talks before June 30th.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

zeebo
Junior
And1: 27

Re: Nowitzki, Mavericks To Finalize Terms Of New Deal After  

Post#2 » by zeebo » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:08 pm

One word "Loyal" describes guys like Nowitzki and guess what he won a championship without his superfriends. I wish more players were like this guy and Duncan. Its funny, never any games from Nowitzki and Duncan like other people from the Lebron draft and onward. Even if Lebron resigns with Miami dude needs to stop playing games with people.
DJ3thenew23 says:

"I love Lebron and will follow him anywhere. Don't hate me cause I bandwagon Lebron anywhere he goes. I used to be a Cavs fan!
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#3 » by 2Mas » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:41 pm

zeebo wrote:One word "Loyal" describes guys like Nowitzki and guess what he won a championship without his superfriends. I wish more players were like this guy and Duncan. Its funny, never any games from Nowitzki and Duncan like other people from the Lebron draft and onward. Even if Lebron resigns with Miami dude needs to stop playing games with people.

Those guys are selfless.

LBJ is an attention whore. He the best in the game right now, but I can't stand his need to consistently be in the news. But is that really his fault? The media does it to the newer age guys. Social media, the actual media it's constant, LBJ is gonna say some dumb stuff when he's asked 1million questions.

But still, Dirk is the mannnn. Get his nice beneficial deal out of the way asap to focus on Dallas! Not himself.
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#4 » by watpho71 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:43 pm

Praise to the Germanator! He is the man.
C2Poke88
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by C2Poke88 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 7:47 pm

What?!? No BS article insinuating that the CBA may have been violated? There was speculation that the Big 3 in Miami violated the CBA by reportedly telling Riley what they hashed out among themselves. If Dirk and the Mavs have agreed to "finalize the terms" of a new deal after meeting with Melo, isn't that a agreement prior to negotiating a new contract? And if they are finalizing the terms of a new deal, doesn't that mean that some form of preliminary discussion have taken place? Why don't other teams and players get the same BS scrutiny that the Miami Heat organization and players get?
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#6 » by Imon » Tue Jul 1, 2014 8:15 pm

C2Poke88 wrote:What?!? No BS article insinuating that the CBA may have been violated? There was speculation that the Big 3 in Miami violated the CBA by reportedly telling Riley what they hashed out among themselves. If Dirk and the Mavs have agreed to "finalize the terms" of a new deal after meeting with Melo, isn't that a agreement prior to negotiating a new contract? And if they are finalizing the terms of a new deal, doesn't that mean that some form of preliminary discussion have taken place? Why don't other teams and players get the same BS scrutiny that the Miami Heat organization and players get?

The Mavs are allowed to talk to Dirk prior to free agency time since he was still technically a Mav.
That and I once heard Dirk and Cubes relationship described as "an old married couple" so they know what they both want. It's not like Dirk and Cuban are confused about what they want from each other.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#7 » by JazzMatt13 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 8:40 pm

People think FO's don't call agents prior to the deadline. You know guys been in contract with orgainzations for a long time. I am sure a lot of guys have been pitching ideas for years.

I am sure Brad Stevens has Hayward on speed dial.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#8 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Tue Jul 1, 2014 8:41 pm

Get this man a second ring. And then a statue.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
C2Poke88
Ballboy

Post#9 » by C2Poke88 » Tue Jul 1, 2014 9:12 pm

Imon wrote:
C2Poke88 wrote:What?!? No BS article insinuating that the CBA may have been violated? There was speculation that the Big 3 in Miami violated the CBA by reportedly telling Riley what they hashed out among themselves. If Dirk and the Mavs have agreed to "finalize the terms" of a new deal after meeting with Melo, isn't that a agreement prior to negotiating a new contract? And if they are finalizing the terms of a new deal, doesn't that mean that some form of preliminary discussion have taken place? Why don't other teams and players get the same BS scrutiny that the Miami Heat organization and players get?

The Mavs are allowed to talk to Dirk prior to free agency time since he was still technically a Mav.
That and I once heard Dirk and Cubes relationship described as "an old married couple" so they know what they both want. It's not like Dirk and Cuban are confused about what they want from each other.

No, the Mavs are NOT allowed to reach any kind of agreement concerning a potential re-negotiation with Dirk. But they've obviously discussed something that they want to "finalize" after the meeting with Melo. Read what the CBA says below about such things and tell me where it allows the Mavs to have re-negotiation discussions with Dirk prior to free agency.

Article XIII of the CBA:

Section 2. No Unauthorized Agreements.

(a) At no time shall there be any agreements or transactions of any kind (whether disclosed or undisclosed to the NBA), express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind (whether disclosed or undisclosed to the NBA), between a player (or any person or entity controlled by, related to, or acting with authority on behalf of, such player) and any Team (or Team Affiliate):

(i) concerning any future Renegotiation, Extension, or other amendment of an existing Player Contract, or entry into a new Player Contract;
Imon
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Imon » Tue Jul 1, 2014 10:13 pm

C2Poke88 wrote:
Imon wrote:

No, the Mavs are NOT allowed to reach any kind of agreement concerning a potential re-negotiation with Dirk. But they've obviously discussed something that they want to "finalize" after the meeting with Melo. Read what the CBA says below about such things and tell me where it allows the Mavs to have re-negotiation discussions with Dirk prior to free agency.

Article XIII of the CBA:

(a) At no time shall there be any agreements or transactions of any kind (whether disclosed or undisclosed to the NBA), express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind (whether disclosed or undisclosed to the NBA), between a player (or any person or entity controlled by, related to, or acting with authority on behalf of, such player) and any Team (or Team Affiliate):

(i) concerning any future Renegotiation, Extension, or other amendment of an existing Player Contract, or entry into a new Player Contract;

I never mentioned anything about renegotiating a new deal. Where did you get that from? All I said is that they are allowed to talk to him.

Like I said before Marc Stein (who knows Dirk as well as anyone) has described the relationship between Dirk and Cuban as like an old married couple. They don't need to stay in constant contact with each other to know what the other guy wants.

If you're assuming that they secretly negotiated a contract BEFORE free agency then I think you're wrong. They probably just met and joked around.

Dirk considers Cuban a friend - this is not a normal employee/boss relationship.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#11 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Jul 1, 2014 11:28 pm

2Mas wrote:
zeebo wrote:One word "Loyal" describes guys like Nowitzki and guess what he won a championship without his superfriends. I wish more players were like this guy and Duncan. Its funny, never any games from Nowitzki and Duncan like other people from the Lebron draft and onward. Even if Lebron resigns with Miami dude needs to stop playing games with people.

Those guys are selfless.

LBJ is an attention whore. He the best in the game right now, but I can't stand his need to consistently be in the news. But is that really his fault? The media does it to the newer age guys. Social media, the actual media it's constant, LBJ is gonna say some dumb stuff when he's asked 1million questions.

But still, Dirk is the mannnn. Get his nice beneficial deal out of the way asap to focus on Dallas! Not himself.

very true, just like kobe!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
C2Poke88
Ballboy

Post#12 » by C2Poke88 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 12:48 am

Imon wrote:
C2Poke88 wrote:
Imon wrote:

Article XIII of the CBA:

I never mentioned anything about renegotiating a new deal. Where did you get that from? All I said is that they are allowed to talk to him.

Like I said before Marc Stein (who knows Dirk as well as anyone) has described the relationship between Dirk and Cuban as like an old married couple. They don't need to stay in constant contact with each other to know what the other guy wants.

If you're assuming that they secretly negotiated a contract BEFORE free agency then I think you're wrong. They probably just met and joked around.

Dirk considers Cuban a friend - this is not a normal employee/boss relationship.

It doesn't matter what YOU said. What matters is what the CBA says. The CBA forbids...oral promises, assurances of intent, or undertakings of any kind between a player and team CONCERNING ANY FUTURE RENEGOTIATION, EXTENSION, OR OTHER AMENDMENT OF AN EXISTING PLAYER CONTRACT, OR ENTRY INTO A NEW PLAYER CONTRACT...

There is no loophole for the Mavs to talk to Dirk about a new contract before he's a free agent.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Imon » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:09 am

C2Poke88 wrote:
It doesn't matter what YOU said. What matters is what the CBA says. The CBA forbids...oral promises, assurances of intent, or undertakings of any kind between a player and team CONCERNING ANY FUTURE RENEGOTIATION, EXTENSION, OR OTHER AMENDMENT OF AN EXISTING PLAYER CONTRACT, OR ENTRY INTO A NEW PLAYER CONTRACT...

There is no loophole for the Mavs to talk to Dirk about a new contract before he's a free agent.

You're not reading what I wrote. :nonono:
Dirk and Cuban just talk all the time. It doesn't have to be a contract discussion. Like I said before Dirk considers Cuban a friend they can talk about other stuff besides basketball.

As for contract discussion stuff like that doesn't even have to be said. Dirk knows the situation and he's a smart guy. He has zero motivation to go elsewhere and if you've heard all his interviews he has done the past few years he considers Dallas his second home (besides Wurzburg) a place he has spend half his life. He's staying put - no funny business has to go on between him and Cuban.
2thehoopand1
Starter
And1: 775

Post#14 » by 2thehoopand1 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:10 am

2Mas wrote:

Those guys are selfless.

O Because dirk is shy and doesn't like to be around a lot of people he's selfless. Lebron attention whore because he's marketable and companies want to market him. I see the nonsense from the General board is spreading to other forums. Makes me sick
Eaglenugget wrote:We got Bosh!!!' Not Discounted!! Lmfao
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Post#15 » by hongdayuan » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:51 am

2thehoopand1 wrote:
2Mas wrote:

Those guys are selfless.

O Because dirk is shy and doesn't like to be around a lot of people he's selfless. Lebron attention whore because he's marketable and companies want to market him. I see the nonsense from the General board is spreading to other forums. Makes me sick

1. The Decision
2. Contract signing celebration with not 1, not 2, not 3...

Name me another player that did this and I'll stop calling lebron attention whore
2thehoopand1
Starter

Nowitzki, Mavericks To Finalize Terms Of New Deal After Meet 

Post#16 » by 2thehoopand1 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:00 am

hongdayuan wrote:
2thehoopand1 wrote:
2Mas wrote:
Those guys are selfless.

1. The Decision

Name me another play that did this and I'll stop calling lebron attention whore

Still crying about the decision. Look at yourself. Lebron hurt your feelings by not picking your team. It's been what 4 , 5 years get a grip on life. Dirk would have had a nervous breakdown if he got all attention lebron gets. Dirk is a great player and all but I love how everyone forgot how terrible he was when he came into the league not to mention most people didn't even consider him a big. History repeats itself by the time lebron is 35 everyone will be singing about being a great guy he is. American culture at work.
iJaeden
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#17 » by iJaeden » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:52 am

2thehoopand1 wrote:
hongdayuan wrote:
2thehoopand1 wrote:O Because dirk is shy and doesn't like to be around a lot of people he's selfless. Lebron attention whore because he's marketable and companies want to market him. I see the nonsense from the General board is spreading to other forums. Makes me sick

1. The Decision

Still crying about the decision. Look at yourself. Lebron hurt your feelings by not picking your team. It's been what 4 , 5 years get a grip on life. Dirk would have had a nervous breakdown if he got all attention lebron gets. Dirk is a great player and all but I love how everyone forgot how terrible he was when he came into the league not to mention most people didn't even consider him a big. History repeats itself by the time lebron is 35 everyone will be singing about much a great guy he is. American culture at work.

Wow, you sound like a god damn moron
2thehoopand1
Starter

Nowitzki, Mavericks To Finalize Terms Of New Deal After Meet 

Post#18 » by 2thehoopand1 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:55 am

iJaeden wrote:
2thehoopand1 wrote:
hongdayuan wrote:
1. The Decision

Still crying about the decision. Look at yourself. Lebron hurt your feelings by not picking your team. It's been what 4 , 5 years get a grip on life. Dirk would have had a nervous breakdown if he got all attention lebron gets. Dirk is a great player and all but I love how everyone forgot how terrible he was when he came into the league not to mention most people didn't even consider him a big. History repeats itself by the time lebron is 35 everyone will be singing about much a great guy he is. American culture at work.

I could care less what I sound like to casuals
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#19 » by alienpick » Wed Jul 2, 2014 5:57 am

2thehoopand1 wrote:
iJaeden wrote:
2thehoopand1 wrote:Still crying about the decision. Look at yourself. Lebron hurt your feelings by not picking your team. It's been what 4 , 5 years get a grip on life. Dirk would have had a nervous breakdown if he got all attention lebron gets. Dirk is a great player and all but I love how everyone forgot how terrible he was when he came into the league not to mention most people didn't even consider him a big. History repeats itself by the time lebron is 35 everyone will be singing about much a great guy he is. American culture at work.

I could care less what I sound like to casuals

"The Decision" was ESPN's idea that THEY pitched to LeBron. They got exclusive rights to the story and in turn they gave a HUGE donation to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. Lebron got nothing and did it all for charity. It wasn't even his idea... why does no one remember this?

Return to Wiretap Discussion